Cris Collinsworth -- Jaelan Phillips is the best defensive player in the draft

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there... You may disagree....

I think you can avoid taking shots to the head that would cause a concussion a lot easier than almost any other position as a DE besides OL.

Also, he'd be rotating for a year or 2 because of Lawrence & Gregory so he wouldn't be over exposed.
But then you probably can't use him on ST, which is problematic for a non starting player.

fivetwos

Reaction score
So you want a rotational DE in the first round instead of a player whos out there every down? Makes sense
Need to keep rushers fresh, and kick them inside on nickel downs.

The saying is true....you never have enough of them.

Trade down for Ojulari please.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yeah some guys....he can go on to become a All Pro for all I care....I just have no interest in those guys.....unless we are taking late round flyers.
I am going to laugh when he goes to the Giants at 11. Then the narrative will be that Jerry blew it when he passed on him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But then you probably can't use him on ST, which is problematic for a non starting player.

Yeah but I’ll make an exception for the most premium skill set for a defender.

The NFL is all about

1. The passer (QB)

2. The guy protecting the passer (OL.. Especially LT)

3. The guy trying to get to the passer (DL)

Everything after that is just fill in and of less importance.

If this guys last name was Watt or Bosa he’d be a top 8 pick.. Without injury he’s go somewhere in the top 8 as well.

You can never have enough of these guys and if Lawrence or Gregory go down then what?

If his medical sucks then don’t touch him.. If it looks fine then you think about taking him at 10 over Surtain and Horn.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes I do. Because if and when he gets another concussion he will retire. And if he doesnt he will be in big trouble. He has also already once almost quit football. Sorry I dont want to spend a first round pick on a guy who may or may not love football and or make it thru the season. He also sat out the bowl game to prepare for the draft. So obviously winning isnt too important either.
Well, his play and his work ethic were outstanding. His testing results show this.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I am going to laugh when he goes to the Giants at 11. Then the narrative will be that Jerry blew it when he passed on him.
We allowed 300 yards rushing in a game. Lets fix the pass rush. lol. Its about need man. The other team wont be throwing if we cant stop the run.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well, his play and his work ethic were outstanding. His testing results show this.
His testing results have nothing to do with him wanting to quit football dude. What are you even talking about? Dontari Poe tested OFF THE CHARTS. How was his work ethic? lol

rambo2

Reaction score
Yeah but I’ll make an exception for the most premium skill set for a defender.

The NFL is all about

1. The passer (QB)

2. The guy protecting the passer (OL.. Especially LT)

3. The guy trying to get to the passer (DL)

Everything after that is just fill in the blank and of less importance.

If this guys last name was Watt or Bosa he’d be a top 8 pick.. Without injury he’s go somewhere in the top 8 as well.

You can never have enough of these guys and if Lawrence or Gregory go down then what?
It wouldn't surprise me if the Giants take him at 11. The more he drops the more his value goes up. He is a guy to keep an eye on.

rambo2

Reaction score
We allowed 300 yards rushing in a game. Lets fix the pass rush. lol. Its about need man. The other team wont be throwing if we cant stop the run.
Why do you think that they signed 8 defensive players already? The defense certainly is getting better.

rambo2

Reaction score
His testing results have nothing to do with him wanting to quit football dude. What are you even talking about? Dontari Poe tested OFF THE CHARTS. How was his work ethic? lol
Baloney, his play and testing certainly shows that he wants to play football. Those results don't just happen.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Baloney, his play and testing certainly shows that he wants to play football. Those results don't just happen.
Explain Donatri Poe. Since it doesn't just happen. The guy didn't play a bowl game (business decision) and wanted to retire before the NFL. Thanks but no thanks.

rambo2

Reaction score
Explain Donatri Poe. Since it doesn't just happen. The guy didn't play a bowl game (business decision) and wanted to retire before the NFL. Thanks but no thanks.
What the hell are you talking about? What does a fat former defensive tackle have to do with the top pass rusher in the draft? Have you even watched Phillips play?

phildadon86

Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about? What does a fat former defensive tackle have to do with the top pass rusher in the draft? Have you even watched Phillips play?
Poe tested OFF THE CHARTS too. Thats what I am talking about. Testing well doesnt mean you want to play the game. It means you want people to notice you and then to get paid. This guy quit on his team. Lets draft him at 10.

rambo2

Reaction score
Poe tested OFF THE CHARTS too. Thats what I am talking about. Testing well doesnt mean you want to play the game. It means you want people to notice you and then to get paid. This guy quit on his team. Lets draft him at 10.
Oh really? Go watch his tape? You are ridiculous. Quit on his team? Get your facts straight. He had the highest motor on the entire Miami team.

visionary

Reaction score
This is where trading back to around 20 really helps

Trade back for an extra 2 and 3

now at 20 if he available you take him

if he’s not a available take Moehrig or Barmore

if I have to stay at 10 I’m taking Parsons over any player other than Sewell or Pitts. That guy can have a huge impact on games because if he reaches his potential he’s the next Lewis

phildadon86

Reaction score
Oh really? Go watch his tape? You are ridiculous. Quit on his team? Get your facts straight. He had the highest motor on the entire Miami team.
Was that before or after he sat out a bowl game to prepare for the draft? Maybe you should get your facts straight lol. Love how you didnt respond to Poe testing off the charts and not caring about football

fivetwos

Reaction score
If you read what I've been posting lately, you'll see I agree as far as getting to the passer.

Edit...quoting @CATCH17 .

My fault

Western

Reaction score
A team-building process.

DLaw is 29, & trending downward.
Gregory, and Armstrong are free agents after the 2021 season.
Anae is a fifth-round selection from the previous defense coaching regime.
Basham signed a two-year contract as a free agent.

The Dallas defensive line is devoid of talent, and young promising game-changers.

The idea that Dallas finds blue-chipper edge rushers later in the draft -- look at these gems since 2008:
Erik Walden, Brandon Williams, Sean Lissemore, Crawford, Ben Gardner, Ken Bishop, Gregory, Ryan Russell, Tapper, Collins, Ivie, Carrell, Armstrong, Jackson, & Jelks.

Given the high significance and importance of the position, the difficulty of drafting quality edge rushers in later rounds, you grab the best edge rusher in the draft early, and you immediately upgrade not only the DL, but elevate the overall defense (in particular, the secondary) by having the one player who can single-handedly pressure, and disrupt the QB.

Don't draft by being sacred -- sacred of what might happen.

Draft the best player at the most impactful position, and thus your overall team--building improves for the future.