Current Cowboys Business Model

Blitzen

Reaction score
Stephen runs the show now. Except for every war room video leaked where Stephen is a fat secretary jumping at his father's command.

Fans.
I never said he picked all the players. They don’t know who to listen to. They listen to McClay, coaches, and scouts and then wing it.

But free agency is not what it used to be. Jerry used to throw big money at 2-3 people and used the pulpit to drum up hype. Now they make a handful of cheap signings based on coach preferences, extend any decent players on the team at certain positions and call it a day.

If it was still just Jerry’s squad they would sign at least one big time outside free agent every single season. Jerry does not make the moves anymore because he knows he is terrible at it.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I don't pretend to know what they do in the FO. I see the finished product, doesn't mean they aren't trying to manipulate the cap and sign free agents that they can't fit under the cap. I don't spend much time pretending to think what they are doing.
You can theorize based on their actions. They plod along because they avoid the drastic mistakes that could be boom or bust decisions. That’s good business.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can theorize based on their actions. They plod along because they avoid the drastic mistakes that could be boom or bust decisions. That’s good business.
It would be good business if it was mine...it's not mine, so I choose not to theorize their business....it won't do me any good. We're all different, if it makes you feel better, more power to you. Salud!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In case you wanted to know how Dak’s soon to be extended contract situation will play out.

The business plan is the same as it has been for quite some time. Build the team through the draft and do not sign big ticket free agents from other teams. Prioritize a slow and steady approach that will not move the needle upward or downward much.

Beat basically every tier 3 team you face, half the tier 2 teams, and lose to every tier 1 team-MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (no need for more success). The only caveat would be to try to make it a close score versus tier 1 teams (even if you must score lots at the end of games).

Stephen runs the show now-and Jerry sells the product. Jerry gave up on the dream of actually winning a (Jimmy-less) Super Bowl years maybe decades ago. He realized it was not going to happen and has ceded ultimate control to his son, but stays on as the chief marketer.

They will run it back with Dak till the wheels fall off. This is the marketing/promoting strategy with a side of football. For fans that actually want to see another Cowboys’ Super Bowl run-just add 3-4 years onto however many years Dak gets extended and you will know when the next possible realistic chance at a SB run will be.
this thing is going to blow up. building through draft requires you being good in drafting, hitting on 2/3 of your top 3 picks with good contributors consistently and having draft picks. 2023 is a bust. and we have 5 picks in 2024, with 2 being 7th rounders. its not looking good.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It would be good business if it was mine...it's not mine, so I choose not to theorize their business....it won't do me any good. We're all different, if it makes you feel better, more power to you. Salud!
Lots of us theorize about the goings on at Cowboys’ front office. I think you and others just get upset or annoyed by non rosy outlooks.

Just time wasting like everyone else. I don’t feel anything about my theories but think I am correct. Cheers to you and that search for optimism-just tune into the next Jerry Jones news conference and he will fill that cup overflowing.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lots of us theorize about the goings on at Cowboys’ front office. I think you and others just get upset or annoyed by non rosy outlooks.

Just time wasting like everyone else. I don’t feel anything about my theories but think I am correct. Cheers to you and that search for optimism-just tune into the next Jerry Jones news conference and he will fill that cup overflowing.
I had to drive to Dallas from south Texas because a friend committed suicide. I have more important things to worry about than a game and I'd rather be positive and rosy than miserable and bitter.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In case you wanted to know how Dak’s soon to be extended contract situation will play out.

The business plan is the same as it has been for quite some time. Build the team through the draft and do not sign big ticket free agents from other teams. Prioritize a slow and steady approach that will not move the needle upward or downward much.

Beat basically every tier 3 team you face, half the tier 2 teams, and lose to every tier 1 team-MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (no need for more success). The only caveat would be to try to make it a close score versus tier 1 teams (even if you must score lots at the end of games).

Stephen runs the show now-and Jerry sells the product. Jerry gave up on the dream of actually winning a (Jimmy-less) Super Bowl years maybe decades ago. He realized it was not going to happen and has ceded ultimate control to his son, but stays on as the chief marketer.

They will run it back with Dak till the wheels fall off. This is the marketing/promoting strategy with a side of football. For fans that actually want to see another Cowboys’ Super Bowl run-just add 3-4 years onto however many years Dak gets extended and you will know when the next possible realistic chance at a SB run will be.
Marketing IS the strategy of this front office. Draft good players, sell them hard, win enough regular season games to tantalize the fan base, then prove they aren’t built for winning in the playoffs. While also proving they don’t know how to build a team for multi-win playoff success. They haven’t done it nearly three decades now.

This FO sells all this to a fan base that just wants to win badly. But this FO sees ”winning” as a numbers game that includes TV ratings, ticket and merchandise sales, what the team is worth financially, and oh yeah maybe we could win a playoff game once in a while to keep fans hopeful. Then sell the same formula over and over again by an 82 year old man who is more addicted to microphones and reporters notebooks than being obsessed with doing whatever it takes to win a championship.

Before someone says, “Pick another team” or “This is negative”, I will say that I’ve been a Cowboys fan for 58 years and was one for 25 years before I ever heard the name Jerry Jones. No owner or family can take away my desire for my favorite team to win another championship. I just want to see this team win but don’t think it will happen without major changes at the top. That’s not being negative to me. It’s just being honest. And I still want them to win anyway.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think they pretend to care at this point about the Super Bowl. I think Jerry knows that dream is dead, but he’s an excellent marketer that is happy to sell.
Spot on assessment no one will convince me that a multi billionaire like Jerry
Can't get any further than the wild card round of the playoffs in 30 years.
He flat out has to not want to compromise the relevancy of the team by taking the chance of going all in and having a few down years.
Jerry and Steven are about generational wealth super bowl trophies are about as important to them as a trinket out of a gumball machine

Blitzen

Reaction score
this thing is going to blow up. building through draft requires you being good in drafting, hitting on 2/3 of your top 3 picks with good contributors consistently and having draft picks. 2023 is a bust. and we have 5 picks in 2024, with 2 being 7th rounders. its not looking good.
Not sure about blowing up, but I could see a slow fade to more like 8-9 wins in the next few seasons. Just miss the playoffs type of season. They have also hit pretty well on many of their picks. They rarely have a very down season-the last time being when Romo went down in 2015. They try to avoid those like the plague.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Dallas business model can succinctly be wrapped up by two British bands (from opposite ends of the spectrum).
Pink Floyd: Money.
Pet Shop Boys: Let’s Make Lots of Money.
And for the fans the business model is summed up by The rolling Stones
In Satisfaction and You can't always get what you want.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I had to drive to Dallas from south Texas because a friend committed suicide. I have more important things to worry about than a game and I'd rather be positive and rosy than miserable and bitter.
I don’t get miserable or bitter over this team or game. I’m terribly sorry to hear about your friend and hoping and praying for peace for his family and yours.

Mcsports

Reaction score
I don’t get miserable or bitter over this team or game. I’m terribly sorry to hear about your friend and hoping and praying for peace for his family and yours.
Amen.
Tough times ahead.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Marketing IS the strategy of this front office. Draft good players, sell them hard, win enough regular season games to tantalize the fan base, then prove they aren’t built for winning in the playoffs. While also proving they don’t know how to build a team for multi-win playoff success. They haven’t done it nearly three decades now.

This FO sells all this to a fan base that just wants to win badly. But this FO sees ”winning” as a numbers game that includes TV ratings, ticket and merchandise sales, what the team is worth financially, and oh yeah maybe we could win a playoff game once in a while to keep fans hopeful. Then sell the same formula over and over again by an 82 year old man who is more addicted to microphones and reporters notebooks than being obsessed with doing whatever it takes to win a championship.

Before someone says, “Pick another team” or “This is negative”, I will say that I’ve been a Cowboys fan for 58 years and was one for 25 years before I ever heard the name Jerry Jones. No owner or family can take away my desire for my favorite team to win another championship. I just want to see this team win but don’t think it will happen without major changes at the top. That’s not being negative to me. It’s just being honest. And I still want them to win anyway.
I'm with you bullet been a fan since the late sixties and will always be a Cowboys fan but I don't have to be a fan of the owner and how he runs the team.

I'm tired of this owner using our loyalty and dedication against us so he can make money and just dangle the bait out in front of us every year without ever following through and if there was ever a guy that has the resources to follow through it's Jerry.

It's nothing more than pure greed that keeps him from satisfying this fan base he could at least throw us a bone once in awhile and really go all in and make it happen

rambo2

Reaction score
And if they don’t win any playoff games are we supposed to be ok with that?
They could win. We're Chief's fans ok with it for 50 years? You certainly can cry if you want to.