Current Cowboys Business Model

Chasing6

Reaction score
In case you wanted to know how Dak’s soon to be extended contract situation will play out.

The business plan is the same as it has been for quite some time. Build the team through the draft and do not sign big ticket free agents from other teams. Prioritize a slow and steady approach that will not move the needle upward or downward much.

Beat basically every tier 3 team you face, half the tier 2 teams, and lose to every tier 1 team-MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (no need for more success). The only caveat would be to try to make it a close score versus tier 1 teams (even if you must score lots at the end of games).

Stephen runs the show now-and Jerry sells the product. Jerry gave up on the dream of actually winning a (Jimmy-less) Super Bowl years maybe decades ago. He realized it was not going to happen and has ceded ultimate control to his son, but stays on as the chief marketer.

They will run it back with Dak till the wheels fall off. This is the marketing/promoting strategy with a side of football. For fans that actually want to see another Cowboys’ Super Bowl run-just add 3-4 years onto however many years Dak gets extended and you will know when the next possible realistic chance at a SB run will be.
Jeruh still runs the team. See Trey Lance waste of a pick and $5M in 2024. We have plenty of draft picks and cap $ to waste.

That was definitely not a Stephen decision.

rambo2

Reaction score
Jeruh still runs the team. See Trey Lance waste of a pick and $5M in 2024. We have plenty of draft picks and cap $ to waste.

How would you know if Lance is a waste when you haven't even seen him take a snap? Some people want to spend another pick on a qb right now.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Better than the un-super fans predicting 1 to 5 wins every year.

Don't you think the 20-0 statements are not really serious. But it is to counter the dis-likers drab same old stuff of doom and gloom.
It works both ways.
Technically we won the lottery with Tony and Dak with the draft capital it took to acquire them and our GM could not take advantage of it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t get miserable or bitter over this team or game. I’m terribly sorry to hear about your friend and hoping and praying for peace for his family and yours.
I haven’t let a Cowboys loss or season ruin my peace since “The Catch” in 1981. I certainly enjoy the wins but a loss rolls off of me very easily. Cowboys games are fun to watch but in no way represent what’s important to my life.

Blitzen

Reaction score

They rolled the dice on a QB picked in the top 3 picks just a few years ago. For a 4th rounder and a little money. It’s not a big investment.

I have no doubt that Jerry still has some hand in the pot. But free agency and team construction are so heavily draft oriented and paying in house players. That is Stephen’s influence.

This last draft they went with Will McClay’s pick of Mazi. I’m sure they all liked Mazi, but from the looks and sound of what goes on-it’s kind of a free for all at times. Other times they will absolutely force a pick on a position. Their protocol and strategy are still disjointed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I’ve never understood about the marketing of this team: What is a better sales pitch than winning a championship? Or even just getting close. This team hasn’t been close in 3 decades so it would seem new ideas and new blood would be in order. You don’t have to “sell” a winner.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In case you wanted to know how Dak’s soon to be extended contract situation will play out.

The business plan is the same as it has been for quite some time. Build the team through the draft and do not sign big ticket free agents from other teams. Prioritize a slow and steady approach that will not move the needle upward or downward much.

Beat basically every tier 3 team you face, half the tier 2 teams, and lose to every tier 1 team-MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (no need for more success). The only caveat would be to try to make it a close score versus tier 1 teams (even if you must score lots at the end of games).

Stephen runs the show now-and Jerry sells the product. Jerry gave up on the dream of actually winning a (Jimmy-less) Super Bowl years maybe decades ago. He realized it was not going to happen and has ceded ultimate control to his son, but stays on as the chief marketer.

They will run it back with Dak till the wheels fall off. This is the marketing/promoting strategy with a side of football. For fans that actually want to see another Cowboys’ Super Bowl run-just add 3-4 years onto however many years Dak gets extended and you will know when the next possible realistic chance at a SB run will be.
Very good analysis!
This " All In" is a load of horse droppings, and just another marketing slogan by Jerry to sell the team next year to the few remaining gullible fans.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
And then add on some Metallica: Nothing Else Matters
Just like us fans, I think the current crop of players, and organization in general, is best described by a Jackson Browne song from the late 70’s - ‘Running on Empty’.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I had to drive to Dallas from south Texas because a friend committed suicide. I have more important things to worry about than a game and I'd rather be positive and rosy than miserable and bitter.
Sorry yo hear that brother my condolence

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

a 4TH Rounder is a good pick its not like a 6th or 7th rounder.
You all gonna find out this Spring why Jerry wouldn't hang up the phone with the Niners till he got Trey?
Patience......................The only thing certain is death and taxes.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said he picked all the players. They don’t know who to listen to. They listen to McClay, coaches, and scouts and then wing it.

But free agency is not what it used to be. Jerry used to throw big money at 2-3 people and used the pulpit to drum up hype. Now they make a handful of cheap signings based on coach preferences, extend any decent players on the team at certain positions and call it a day.

If it was still just Jerry’s squad they would sign at least one big time outside free agent every single season. Jerry does not make the moves anymore because he knows he is terrible at it.
Jerry Jones, and only Jerry Jones, makes the decisions in Dallas.

Chasing6

Reaction score
a 4TH Rounder is a good pick its not like a 6th or 7th rounder.
You all gonna find out this Spring why Jerry wouldn't hang up the phone with the Niners till he got Trey?
Patience......................The only thing certain is death and taxes.
No other team was offering more than a 7th round conditional pick.

Jeruh has become Al Davis.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No other team was offering more than a 7th round conditional pick.

Jeruh has become Al Davis.
Jerry is a great salesman.
Now you got right ahead and explain to us simple folks how is he gonna be able to sell Prescott for another 4 years?
Yes, we have the biggest share of Homer fans but imagine another playoff choke what then?
Jerry is football stupid but not business stupid..........please remember that.
Trust me the Lockerroom will be Dak's downfall as he will hit the bench at some point if he is extended!

shabazz

Reaction score
Better than the un-super fans predicting 1 to 5 wins every year.

Don't you think the 20-0 statements are not really serious. But it is to counter the dis-likers drab same old stuff of doom and gloom.
It works both ways.
I predict 10 plus wins every year......followed by 1 playoff win tops.

I think that's part of the issue here in that people disingenuously predicting 20 wins or other ridiculous things DOESN'T counter anything.

Just be real.....your not changing a single mind or changing the feelings of the forum.....it takes a certain amount of ego and narcissism to think that one can

Hey, but you do you and I'll continue to keep it 100

Go Cowboys!

Mannix

Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^
Top Shelf