Current Cowboys Business Model

Jumbo075

Reaction score
In case you wanted to know how Dak’s soon to be extended contract situation will play out.

The business plan is the same as it has been for quite some time. Build the team through the draft and do not sign big ticket free agents from other teams. Prioritize a slow and steady approach that will not move the needle upward or downward much.

Beat basically every tier 3 team you face, half the tier 2 teams, and lose to every tier 1 team-MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (no need for more success). The only caveat would be to try to make it a close score versus tier 1 teams (even if you must score lots at the end of games).

Stephen runs the show now-and Jerry sells the product. Jerry gave up on the dream of actually winning a (Jimmy-less) Super Bowl years maybe decades ago. He realized it was not going to happen and has ceded ultimate control to his son, but stays on as the chief marketer.

They will run it back with Dak till the wheels fall off. This is the marketing/promoting strategy with a side of football. For fans that actually want to see another Cowboys’ Super Bowl run-just add 3-4 years onto however many years Dak gets extended and you will know when the next possible realistic chance at a SB run will be.
You aren’t describing a business model. Do you know what an actual business model is?

Blackrain

Reaction score
You may be spot on, Blitz.

Perhaps ignorantly, the old-school football sentimentalist in me believes that my team’s GM/owner still craves another Super Bowl above all else (family aside). I’m not blind to the Joneses earning a buck (mucho $$$$) off this endeavor, but I view Jerry as living and dying with his Cowboys and as a man who has cared too much on many occasions for HIS guys. So no, I don’t believe that his Super Bowl dream has died, I just think he’s chosen a poor path to get there.

I like the fact that you focused on his business model as this is where my point of contention with Jerry & Co. lies. Jerry’s lauded as being a great businessman. I wouldn’t dare dispute that perspective outside of the realm of football, but football IS a business, and what has his business leadership netted the fanbase in the last 28 years?

Sadly, the rinse and repeat plan that you laid out will be on full display once again this calendar year. It’s mind-boggling to me that a competitive, goal-oriented man like Jerry Jones remains steadfast on a company plan that has consistently led to futility so freakin’ often. I can only speculate this is what happens when power converges with ego and yields a “It’s my way or nothing” course of action.

My whole take on this goes to hell if many of you are correct in stating Jerry is much more about the money than he is with wins. I just have difficulty getting there with you, particularly when winning will garner Jerry everything that feeds his id – praise, airtime, history, and yes…financial gain.
What I don't understand brother is how you can be a multi-billionaire and still keep choosing the wrong path.
At some point even if you didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of in 30 years you would come up with some kind of plan to get further than the wild card game.

How can you be so successful in one part of your life and such an absolute tragic failure in another worse yet not be able to recognize and fix the problem with all the resources in the world at your disposal.

Blackrain

Reaction score
You aren’t describing a business model. Do you know what an actual business model is?
I don't think anybody really gives a flying spit what you call it.

All we know as fans is after almost 30 years it's a failed plan if you're trying to get to a super bowl.
If you're going for generational wealth he's an overwhelming success.
But I don't think most fans really care how rich Jerry gets.

They care that he can't get past the wild card game.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Yes-I understood that I was not going to turn this draft in. Have a drink and find a comfortable chair.

MikeT22

Reaction score
What I’ve never understood about the marketing of this team: What is a better sales pitch than winning a championship? Or even just getting close. This team hasn’t been close in 3 decades so it would seem new ideas and new blood would be in order. You don’t have to “sell” a winner.
Jerry and Stephen don’t want to give up control over their play toy. As long as the hey are making money and the team is relevant they are content.

The Jones’ have zero interest in winning if it means they aren’t in control and involved.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
And if they don’t win any playoff games are we supposed to be ok with that?
Tom Landry started his career with 6 consecutive losing seasons from 1960 - 1965. Then he had 20 consecutive winning seasons, but the first 5 seasons ended in disappointment, including losing two seasons in a row to the Packers in 1966 and 1967. Those teams were one and done. Then there were 2 seasons in a row when the Cowboys made the playoffs, but lost their 1st playoff game. Landry’s playoff record after 10 seasons was 2-4. Finally, the Cowboys made the Super Bowl in his 11th season as head coach. They lost to the Colts. Landry’s playoff record was 4-5.

In the 1971 season, Landry started rotating his QB’s. One was the 5th overall pick in the 1965 draft. The other was a 10th round pick who didn’t even play football for 4 years after college. After struggling the first few games, Landry chose to go with the 10th round player who hadn’t played football over the former 1st round, 5th overall pick. That 1st round, 4th overall pick would later go on to lead another NFL team to the Super Bowl in 1977.

How many fans then and today would want to keep a coach who in 11 seasons just couldn’t win the big games?

By the way, Landry won the Super Bowl in 1971, and that 10th round pick would lead the team to 4 Super Bowls from 1971 - 1978, including beating the team led by the Cowboys former 1st round QB in 1977.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Tom Landry started his career with 6 consecutive losing seasons from 1960 - 1965. Then he had 20 consecutive winning seasons, but the first 5 seasons ended in disappointment, including losing two seasons in a row to the Packers in 1966 and 1967. Those teams were one and done. Then there were 2 seasons in a row when the Cowboys made the playoffs, but lost their 1st playoff game. Landry’s playoff record after 10 seasons was 2-4. Finally, the Cowboys made the Super Bowl in his 11th season as head coach. They lost to the Colts. Landry’s playoff record was 4-5.

In the 1971 season, Landry started rotating his QB’s. One was the 5th overall pick in the 1965 draft. The other was a 10th round pick who didn’t even play football for 4 years after college. After struggling the first few games, Landry chose to go with the 10th round player who hadn’t played football over the former 1st round, 5th overall pick. That 1st round, 4th overall pick would later go on to lead another NFL team to the Super Bowl in 1977.

How many fans then and today would want to keep a coach who in 11 seasons just couldn’t win the big games?

By the way, Landry won the Super Bowl in 1971, and that 10th round pick would lead the team to 4 Super Bowls from 1971 - 1978, including beating the team led by the Cowboys former 1st round QB in 1977.
I like Mike McCarthy in general and think he is a pretty good coach. I’m not sure how adaptable he is to current trends and how best to approach the evolving game. My problem was that they will extend Dak in the next month and then fire McCarthy when the team again fails to achieve more success next postseason (no matter how good the regular season).

Your comparison between the current Cowboys and the era of NFL in the late 60’s/early 70’s is bizarre. Roger was drafted in the 10th round because of his impending 4 year tour of duty (would have gone much higher otherwise). Teams don’t give coaches and front end staff that type of job security (with little to no playoff success) anymore-they typically get 2-4 years depending (unless you own the team).

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes. I am very familiar with that great story. (From a completely different era of NFL football). I love Tom Landry and all he accomplished in his 29 years here. But sadly, if that same scenario happened today, he would have been fired well before the Cowboys won their first playoff game.

Btw, in that story, I also remember the Cowboys first owner, Clint Murchison, hired a HOF GM named Tex Schramm who along with Landry and HOF personnel guru Gil Brandt made all drafting and personnel moves without Clint Murchison being the GM, President and jocks and socks decision maker.

Last edited:

Brax

Reaction score
In case you wanted to know how Dak’s soon to be extended contract situation will play out.

The business plan is the same as it has been for quite some time. Build the team through the draft and do not sign big ticket free agents from other teams. Prioritize a slow and steady approach that will not move the needle upward or downward much.

Beat basically every tier 3 team you face, half the tier 2 teams, and lose to every tier 1 team-MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (no need for more success). The only caveat would be to try to make it a close score versus tier 1 teams (even if you must score lots at the end of games).

Stephen runs the show now-and Jerry sells the product. Jerry gave up on the dream of actually winning a (Jimmy-less) Super Bowl years maybe decades ago. He realized it was not going to happen and has ceded ultimate control to his son, but stays on as the chief marketer.

They will run it back with Dak till the wheels fall off. This is the marketing/promoting strategy with a side of football. For fans that actually want to see another Cowboys’ Super Bowl run-just add 3-4 years onto however many years Dak gets extended and you will know when the next possible realistic chance at a SB run will be.
Jerry’s business model must be a 50 year plan. The central core is relevancy through marketing and cash flow which is working, winning is a secondary goal with a SB appearance is down on the list and is not a key factor in the model it’s a hope that it may happen and a added benefit if it does. One has no farther to look than the hiring of BP as head coach it was done primarily to get the stadium deal approved. No other NFL team would keep or hire a GM with Jerry’s lack of success. Don’t delude yourself that Stevie is running the show he does what Jerry tells him to do just like all the other yea men Jerry hire the only difference is Stevie has a job for life because he is a member of the family just like other families members have. Family and friends is the fundamental issue that has limited the franchise and that isn’t changing anytime soon. As long as the monies keep flowing in all is good. It’s a lucrative business for the family and winning is way down on the list.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Jerry’s business model must be a 50 year plan. The central core is relevancy through marketing and cash flow which is working, winning is a secondary goal with a SB appearance is down on the list and is not a key factor in the model it’s a hope that it may happen and a added benefit if it does. One has no farther to look than the hiring of BP as head coach it was done primarily to get the stadium deal approved. No other NFL team would keep or hire a GM with Jerry’s lack of success. Don’t delude yourself that Stevie is running the show he does what Jerry tells him to do just like all the other yea men Jerry hire the only difference is Stevie has a job for life because he is a member of the family just like other families members have. Family and friends is the fundamental issue that has limited the franchise and that isn’t changing anytime soon. As long as the monies keep flowing in all is good. It’s a lucrative business for the family and winning is way down on the list.
Business plans and operations planning aren’t the same thing. In business, there is a HUGE difference between Cost Accounting, Financial Accounting, and Tax Accounting. They are loosely related, but run by completely different people and require different skill sets.

I realize that it may seem like I’m being pedantic, but it is frustrating for me to people refer to the Cowboys internal operating procedures as a “business plan.”

An operating plan is like a recipe - a step by step process of getting something done. For example: 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees 2. Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar. 3. Add wet ingredients such as eggs, oil, water and milk. 4. Blend in medium speed for 2 minutes. 5. Grease a 9 x 15 pan. 6. Bake at 375 degrees for 34-38 minutes.

That is an operations plan, not a business plan. Y’all are arguing about the recipe for success on the field. That isn’t a business plan.

I agree the “cake” the Cowboys keep baking sucks. But as long as people keep “buying the cake”, the Cowboys business plan is working just fine. In fact, the are the absolute best business planners in the entire sports world, including not just football, but every other sport also. Criticizing their “business plan” just makes people look like idiots. No one does it better than Jerry and Stephen. That is just the truth.

So, please for the love of all things football, use the right terminology.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Agreed Don but where Jerry absolutely kills us is sticking us with a coach like Garrett and his staff for 10 years because it's comfortable for him and he thinks he can make the next Tom Landry.

Jerry can afford the absolute best scouting on the planet and somehow Mazi it's not a plug and play defensive lineman with our first round pick and somehow we draft another tight end that we don't need that whole draft was blown.
Of all people Jerry has the money to hire a staff to make sure that stuff absolutely doesn't happen and we get top value out of every draft pick since that is their method of building the team

There is no cap on coaching and scouting and yes maclay has hit on a lot of good draft picks but he's also either failed on a bunch or had Jerry's influence make it look like he failed.

Bruce Carter Jalen Smith Connor Williams Conor McGovern Taco Charlton Randy Gregory and Sean Lee and Van der esch I mean can we find a linebacker that doesn't have some looming health problem these are all the draft underachievers that come off the top of my head that reek of Jerry gambling our pics.
And I'm a believer that at some point you have to gamble a little bit with your future to have success in the here and now because the windows of opportunity are very small and we never take advantage of them.

Once in awhile you got to get a high-priced free agent that can get you over the top and we just never do it but Jerry's happy to gamble the second round pick continually.
yes good points on the scouting, and our draft picks need to be spot on if thats how your building the team.
I thought last year that dallas should hire like a thousand scouts, for more data on any guys they might be looking at.
Maybe then they avoid guys like gregory, and bossman fat.

And drafting a TE you dont need, I think that is on MM as well as jones boys.
I always thought it was stupid to draft lamb when they just gave up a #1 pick for cooper.
They drafted a WR they didnt need when they did that.

The last 4 years with cd , he did nothing to help us win in big games esp playoffs.
And now he will get a big contract , and not help for 4 more years.
A guy like CD is good for the circus, and being relavant, selling jerseys, good stats etc, but that is all he is good for.

Dallas has drafted some good players. but not enough , and have had some glaring mistakes, which really hurt.