Cut Doug Free

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I could understand this explanation, maybe, if the staff made an attempt to work out OL at different positions because no team can afford to carry 9 OL on their active roster. Especially not when your D philosophy requires "waves" of DL to successfully implement the system.

They don't do that in a game but practice. They have moved people around there.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
10 pages. Pretty proud of myself.

Seriously. I never thought he'd get cut today. And I accept he is starting at RT the rest of the way (damn you Chaz Green). But anyone that doesn't think he is a huge liability is insane. Our whole offense has to be altered to cover for him. On every snap. He is by far the worst starter on the team. Not the offense, the team.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Agaîn, who are you? Some 'fan' on the internet under the mistaken impression that Doug Free is irreplacable. I don't have to "give you" anything. Numerous people in this thread have set you straight and gave you plenty of names,but you refuse to see the truth. That's on you. Nobody has to "give you" anything. They've already done it. But you can choose to stick to being wrong.
Except I even said I want Free replaced sooner then later but the options have to be their to improve or at very least keep the line at status quo. Some of yall want him gone just because. Gmoney already showed that Zeke is having big success running behind the Right Tackle. And no one else gave a name besides Green and Cleary which are bad options. All I ask was a name that's not on the team and no one gave because your no guranteed a OT in draft unless you reach and free agency is not much better then what we currently have. Cut Doug Free but bring him back on a minimum contract at the least instead of completly washing your hands of him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except I even said I want Free replaced sooner then later but the options have to be their to improve or at very least keep the line at status quo. Some of yall want him gone just because. Gmoney already showed that Zeke is having big success running behind the Right Tackle. And no one else gave a name besides Green and Cleary which are bad options.

You think they're "bad options". Duly noted, but that's far from making it true.

All I ask was a name that's not on the team and no one gave because your no guranteed a OT in draft unless you reach and free agency is not much better then what we currently have.

Again, that's your issue alone. You're talking yourself out of options before things start.

Cut Doug Free but bring him back on a minimum contract at the least instead of completly washing your hands of him.

I'm not against bringing him back on the cheap, he might be a decent depth option in a pinch, but I'm done with counting on him as a starter.

RandyOh

Reaction score
You think they're "bad options". Duly noted, but that's far from making it true.

Again, that's your issue alone. You're talking yourself out of options before things start.

I'm not against bringing him back on the cheap, he might be a decent depth option in a pinch, but I'm done with counting on him as a starter.
Chaz Green is clearly the 2nd best OT on the team. I'm not going to rely on a player that can't stay healthy for more then a game. And I'm only up for Emmet Cleary like player if Doug Free is kept for cheap to compete in training camp. I just don't want him completely gone before we have his replacement ready to go like some want in this thread. He's below average in pass protection but he has been an solid asset in the run game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chaz Green is clearly the 2nd best OT on the team. I'm not going to rely on a player that can't stay healthy for more then a game. And I'm only up for Emmet Cleary like player if Doug Free is kept for cheap to compete in training camp. I just don't want him completely gone before we have his replacement ready to go like some want in this thread. He's below average in pass protection but he has been an solid asset in the run game.

I'm not dropping him strictly out of spite either, I'm just not interested in counting on him next year. Cleary played a better game than Free did yesterday. Yesterday, Free was a liability in the run game too.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I'm not dropping him strictly out of spite either, I'm just not interested in counting on him next year. Cleary played a better game than Free did yesterday. Yesterday, Free was a liability in the run game too.
We shipped it in yesterday. Also Free took on their best edge rusher not Cleary . Frees decline in pass protection is know but Gmoney already showed in this thread that Free has been one of the top run blocking RT this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We shipped it in yesterday. Also Free took on their best edge rusher not Cleary .

"We" didn't ship anything in yesterday. Players were out there giving great effort. Free just sucked and got his *** whipped. Everyone else performed well.

And Free and Sanchez were the only players who were completely overmatched out there, the rest did just fine. Certainly none of the other projected starters outside of Free did a terrible job. If he felt that he could "ship it in", that's all the more reason why he should be gone. Better players gave better effort.

And Free acquitted himself terribly, not Cleary.

Frees decline in pass protection is know but Gmoney already showed in this thread that Free has been one of the top run blocking RT this year.

The same gmoney who also said this:

i'd be interested to see cleary at RT

When the guy you keep pointing to for your support can admit that, why can't you?

loblolly7

Reaction score
This is silly, Free is the starter for the rest of the season unless injury happens.

That said I could see a switch in the offseason. Hopefully Collins to RT unless Green can stay healthy

Yep, that is the way I was thinking... but I would add to sign Leary to a contract, so that could potentially make our OL better than this year.. Thought too, Collins had some RT experience but not sure..

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yep, that is the way I was thinking... but I would add to sign Leary to a contract, so that could potentially make our OL better than this year.. Thought too, Collins had some RT experience but not sure..
Well you would only move Collins to RT if Leary was signed at LG. Otherwise you would need a LG