Cut Doug Free

RandyOh

Reaction score
I don't even look at college draft picks until after the pros are done

I am not embarrassed to say I don't have a list of RTs right now ....you might need to check your priorities
Combine only give you basic information. taking a player based off of Combine and pro day numbers is how u end up turning into Al Davis and turning your franchise into a Joke like he did to the Raiders. Can't move his feet for nothing but he hes 6'9" and has long arms an runs a good 40 for his position. I like how you kept saying how i had no plan. If you have no idea of the players to choose from to replace Free with then you sir are the one without a plan.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
As long as they have someone in mind to replace I'm good with cutting Free. IF Chaz Green and Emmett Cleary are the way we go we are in trouble.

we are already in trouble......... here's your sign

RandyOh

Reaction score
we are already in trouble......... here's your sign
We aint in trouble if we don't cut the player Gmoney already showed has been a bigger contributor to our dominate run game then fans want to give me. All I'm saying is for us to have a player in mind instead of just cutting him to cut him. We can easily hurt our offense if we make rash decisions.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

You didn't appear to read that post well as I said MAYBE. Perhaps I should have written it in CAPS so you could see it thru your APPARENT agenda(s). Just so YOU can understand I think Free is in his last year even though we KNOW he has some bad wheels. I don't EXPECT him to play next year for us.

But I KNOW there are many variables we ALL don't know so we're only SPECULATING. He may well come in and compete for a job with or without repairs to the wheels. And he may fool many of us including me and play RT another year. NO ONE REALLY KNOWS at this point in time. I won't take MYSELF too seriously since a lot can happen between now and then.

Have a nice night.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
This the biggest weakness of the current best OL in the league versus the 90's OL, there is no flexibility or the coaching staff refuses to make OL more versatile. The fact that Cowboys needed to bring in yet another back up sub par OLineman instead of reshuffling the starters for ONE game is mind boggling. Collins still on IR but Looney, Cleary and now the uber scrub Seymour. LA could play every OL position but center, Nate played OG and RT, Gesek could play RG, RT, C and Gogan also played RG and RT.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Doug Free was Torrin Tucker bad tonight. I think we are in serious trouble on the right side.

Free always looks worse when Cowboys forget the run. Free is a much better run blocker than pass protector, especially when defenses can just tee off and rusher the passer.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This the biggest weakness of the current best OL in the league versus the 90's OL, there is no flexibility or the coaching staff refuses to make OL more versatile. The fact that Cowboys needed to bring in yet another back up sub par OLineman instead of reshuffling the starters for ONE game is mind boggling. Collins still on IR but Looney, Cleary and now the uber scrub Seymour. LA could play every OL position but center, Nate played OG and RT, Gesek could play RG, RT, C and Gogan also played RG and RT.

Yes, but that may be because Collins doesn't play RT well.....or Martin either. Some can and some can't move around.

Also, our blocking schemes are much more sophisticated now than then. Footwork and technique are vital in ZBS where the 90s teams overpowered people more than techniqued them (excluding Step) and didn't play ZBSs. I think this is more the reason than arm length yada. And this may be why Free is able to keep his job. It takes generally a couple of years before interior linemen start to play at their ceiling. Some are good enough to play well enough right away but most require that year and generally two before starting to peak. It takes OTs a little bit longer.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Yes, but that may be because Collins doesn't play RT well.....or Martin either. Some can and some can't move around.

Also, our blocking schemes are much more sophisticated now than then. Footwork and technique are vital in ZBS where the 90s teams overpowered people more than techniqued them (excluding Step) and didn't play ZBSs. I think this is more the reason than arm length yada. And this may be why Free is able to keep his job. It takes generally a couple of years before interior linemen start to play at their ceiling. Some are good enough to play well enough right away but most require that year and generally two before starting to peak. It takes OTs a little bit longer.

I could understand this explanation, maybe, if the staff made an attempt to work out OL at different positions because no team can afford to carry 9 OL on their active roster. Especially not when your D philosophy requires "waves" of DL to successfully implement the system.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bring up Collins to play RT. It can't possibly be worse. Dude is flat out awful. We are going to have to give him help on every single snap in the playoffs. Brandon Graham beat him like a rented mule the entire game. Just brutal

It is what it is... most teams have two or more "Free"s on their starting OL, Dallas has one.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Bring up Collins to play RT. It can't possibly be worse. Dude is flat out awful. We are going to have to give him help on every single snap in the playoffs. Brandon Graham beat him like a rented mule the entire game. Just brutal

I think Collins will be the starting RT in 2017.... I was telling a few of my fellow Cowboy brethren it's awful watching Free out there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol You wont give me a name because u can't give me a name other then a trash back up, a good OT who hasn't been healthy since his playing days in highschool 6 years ago, and a player who the teams coaching staff has already decided should stay at guard. Good night Stasheroo. reply back to me when u can give me a free agent name or a draft prospect that can replace free day 1. Not 2 or 3 years down the road. I personally would rather play it safe and draft a RT in the 1st or trade up in the 2nd round in the 2018 draft and really make a dominate line but i guess Cleary is good too...

Agaîn, who are you? Some 'fan' on the internet under the mistaken impression that Doug Free is irreplacable. I don't have to "give you" anything. Numerous people in this thread have set you straight and gave you plenty of names,but you refuse to see the truth. That's on you. Nobody has to "give you" anything. They've already done it. But you can choose to stick to being wrong.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doug Free was Torrin Tucker bad tonight. I think we are in serious trouble on the right side.

There's simply too much evidence for people to blind themselves much longer. At one point, Doug Free was a pretty good offensive tackle, at another point, he was an above average tackle, we've now reached the point where he's below average and the team needs to do something.

They obviously can't cut him at this point, but they need to make adjustments for the playoffs before he does cost them something big, and they need to have a plan to have a replacement out there for 2017.

This line and this team are too good to have it all ruined by one guy.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems more than likely to me that Doug Free should be freed ASAP from his starting RT position on this team. He's been a liability as a pass protector for way too long now. From the looks of things, it'll only get worse the longer it's delayed. If Cleary could possibly be trained to replace him next year, it might well save some valuable time.

Other than that, I'd be fairly flabbergasted and greatly disappointed if one of our early to mid round picks isn't intended for the next draft to supplant him. Chaz Green hasn't worked out as yet and has been too injury prone to be considered as a starter. Dak is simply too valuable to become an injury risk that might have otherwise have been avoided.

Last edited:

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
There's simply too much evidence for people to blind themselves much longer. At one point, Doug Free was a pretty good offensive tackle, at another point, he was an above average tackle, we've now reached the point where he's below average and the team needs to do something.

They obviously can't cut him at this point, but they need to make adjustments for the playoffs before he does cost them something big, and they need to have a plan to have a replacement out there for 2017.

He may be good, but he isn't up the the standard set forward by this all star offensive line we have.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He may be good, but he isn't up the the standard set forward by this all star offensive line we have.

He's not even good anymore.

It's obvious that he's the weak link, but he's moving beyond that to the point of being a liability.

Nothing will happen this year, but when it does next season, all of these clowns trying to defend him now will be singing a different tune.

Like they always do.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer: