Cut Doug Free

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Plus vets like Stinton get cut every year for cap reasons

But the idea that there are no NFL vets or NCAA OTs that can compete with a 7.5m Doug Free is laughable.........there are 3 on our team alone.....Green, Collins and Cleary

Horse manure. If they were clearly better then they'd be starting. This argument gets old. People, like me, say he's an average plus RT although I'd say this year he is average. He's inconsistent. He's performed better than most here think (I've put all kinds of data up against their he sucks routine) but I agree this year he's clearly in decline. This may be injury and/or age.

The fact he's never been replaced just destroys your argument. And don't feed me that nonsense the coaches don't know any better because they suck as that doesn't compute anymore.

And don't even think of calling me a name like an apologist to dismiss me. I'm ready for a better RT and have been for several years. They put people out there in competition with him and he keeps playing. And if the general consensus is we have the or one of the best OLs in the league then you can't argue they can't coach them up (and indeed they do) except they suck at evaluating and coaching Free. Not buying that BS.

Green could probably replace him but he can't stay on the field. And Free is playing on less than optimal wheels but he's playing.

They'll replace him when they can find someone better than can depend on. Until then they and therefore we are stuck with his declining play.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Cowboys fans are spoiled. We're 5th in the league running behind RT, and 9th off Right End.

He's a weak link on the best OL in the league so everything is magnified.

We could do better, but we could also do a lot worse.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Horse manure. If they were clearly better then they'd be starting. This argument gets old. People, like me, say he's an average plus RT although I'd say this year he is average. He's inconsistent. He's performed better than most here think (I've put all kinds of data up against their he sucks routine) but I agree this year he's clearly in decline. This may be injury and/or age.

The fact he's never been replaced just destroys your argument. And don't feed me that nonsense the coaches don't know any better because they suck as that doesn't compute anymore.

And don't even think of calling me a name like an apologist to dismiss me. I'm ready for a better RT and have been for several years. They put people out there in competition with him and he keeps playing. And if the general consensus is we have the or one of the best OLs in the league then you can't argue they can't coach them up (and indeed they do) except they suck at evaluating and coaching Free. Not buying that BS.

Green could probably replace him but he can't stay on the field. And Free is playing on less than optimal wheels but he's playing.

They'll replace him when they can find someone better than can depend on. Until then they and therefore we are stuck with his declining play.
you are clearly an apologist........he has been bad since he signed his extension

the coaches like him, just like Hayden.....he is a try-hard RKG.....coaches can be wrong too......Parnell was better.....Green is better....... Collins may be better........anyone is better than getting his level of play for his cap hits......that is the part you Free-loaders always forget

over 45m in cap space

TheHerd

Reaction score
... And Free is playing on less than optimal wheels but he's playing.

Two goods points.

Free is playing on some injured legs, so maybe two weeks will really help him.

Also, this staff does really value their comfort level with players, and since they are comfortable with Free it would take a clearly better player to replace him even for next year.

RandyOh

Reaction score

Aint this something. You can even give them list of players to prove you wrong with and they still can't do it. Then they resort to name calling once u corner them after catching them pull their information out their you know what.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
you are clearly an apologist........he has been bad since he signed his extension

the coaches like him, just like Hayden.....he is a try-hard RKG.....coaches can be wrong too......Parnell was better.....Green is better....... Collins may be better........anyone is better than getting his level of play for his cap hits......that is the part you Free-loaders always forget

over 45m in cap space

/mod Since I'm a mod I'll let you have this one free. You cannot call people names even if YOU don't find that name offensive. Me or any other member. Last warning for you or others. Discourse civilly with intelligent speak without name calling or don't participate.

/member Not an apologist. I'm not ditching the BPA at a position until I have equal or better to fill it unless we're talking suspension or character/coaching problems which Free doesn't have. I notice you just resorted to an ad hominem attack rather than tell me why your replacements for RT aren't playing. Your post is disingenuous and doesn't add to the conversation. Surely you can do better than resort to name calling, demonization of your debate opponent.

And his cap hit is a red herring we haven't discussed. Don't introduce another topic to defend the one you're debating.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
over reaction

Yep. But I've looked at his play this year stat wise not on film mind you and it is clearly deteriorated from his career which has above average stats (if people would bother to inquire). So something is up with him and I noticed today he was losing outside which has been a solid part of his game. My guess is his wheels are bad.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Aint this something. You can even give them list of players to prove you wrong with and they still can't do it. Then they resort to name calling once u corner them after catching them pull their information out their you know what.
I gave you names......no need to name call to beat you

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yep. But I've looked at his play this year stat wise not on film mind you and it is clearly deteriorated from his career which has above average stats (if people would bother to inquire). So something is up with him and I noticed today he was losing outside which has been a solid part of his game. My guess is his wheels are bad.
In two weeks his "wheels" will be fine.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I gave you names......no need to name call to beat you
You named our LG, are always injured swing tackle and Emmett freaking Cleary. Best you stick to giving us cap numbers bro if you can't give another name. Just makes my case stronger that its harder to replace Free then u act.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I never said that they should, would, or could cut Doug Free before the playoffs. But the undeniable fact is that he's not playing well and he's far and away this offense's biggest liability.

He was once average and now he's not even that.

LOL if you want to try to defend his play.
Doug Free was Torrin Tucker bad tonight. I think we are in serious trouble on the right side.

popp1234

Reaction score

Why Jobberone, you have been pretty aggressive in your responses lately. I feel like I don't know you anymore. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You named our LG, are always injured swing tackle and Emmett freaking Cleary. Best you stick to giving us cap numbers bro if you can't give another name. Just makes my case stronger that its harder to replace Free then u act.
you just don't like the answers.....go keep your little draft notebooks in order

Dear Diary....I can't find any RTs anywhere.......boo-hoo

I will pay 1/10th the money for the same level of play at worst

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Why Jobberone, you have been pretty aggressive lately. I feel like I don't know you anymore. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Uhhhh, thanks? I thought I'd been a meek popsicle lately...like two or three years.

Listen, I'm not married to anyone but my wife and the Cowboys. No player is greater than the well being of the Boys. I've been waiting on someone to displace Free and thought Parnell was that guy. When he's gone I'll wish him well and the replacement player will be our new guy to root for.

RandyOh

Reaction score
you just don't like the answers.....go keep your little draft notebooks in order

Dear Diary....I can't find any RTs anywhere.......boo-hoo

I will pay 1/10th the money for the same level of play at worst
Yet you can't name someone because you have no idea of the players in the draft and of the players in free agency because most are bum back up free agents. Keep dodging what i ask because you have no knowledge. Its cute actually

popp1234

Reaction score
Uhhhh, thanks? I thought I'd been a meek popsicle lately...like two or three years.

Listen, I'm not married to anyone but my wife and the Cowboys. No player is greater than the well being of the Boys. I've been waiting on someone to displace Free and thought Parnell was that guy. When he's gone I'll wish him well and the replacement player will be our new guy to root for.

It's all good. I feel the same way about Free. Yes, we definitely need a replacement.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Free. Yes, we definitely need a replacement.

It's appearing that way. Maybe he has some loose bodies in his ankle(s) and outpatient surgery in the offseason buys him another year. I don't know his cap numbers so we'll find out this offseason how they feel about him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yet you can't name someone because you have no idea of the players in the draft and of the players in free agency because most are bum back up free agents. Keep dodging what i ask because you have no knowledge. Its cute actually
I don't even look at college draft picks until after the pros are done

I am not embarrassed to say I don't have a list of RTs right now ....you might need to check your priorities

RandyOh

Reaction score
It's appearing that way. Maybe he has some loose bodies in his ankle(s) and outpatient surgery in the offseason buys him another year. I don't know his cap numbers so we'll find out this offseason how they feel about him.
As long as they have someone in mind to replace I'm good with cutting Free. IF Chaz Green and Emmett Cleary are the way we go we are in trouble.