Cut Doug Free

RandyOh

Reaction score
Nice. Now go cower behind a rock. Graham is one of the leagues best left ends in the league. Free always struggles against him. No need to cut him. He has had a very good year. When Dak gets 5-7 seconds to throw on every play remember that Free is part of that.
You are not Wrong. Funny how some have to bring up some of the best edge rushers on the strong side to make a case that Free sucks. Free is not great. Hes not even good. hes an average starter that looks worse then he is because he plays with 3 all pros and one of the meanest OG in the League.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Love the free apologists. Let's just go ahead and say Escobar is a quality TE but just doesn't look good cause he's next to Witten

RandyOh

Reaction score
Love the free apologists. Let's just go ahead and say Escobar is a quality TE but just doesn't look good cause he's next to Witten
I aint a Free apologist. Like i keep asking the others. Name someone realistic to replace Doug Free in the offseason. No one seems to be able to do that. Just keep saying someone should be available. If he is as easy to replace as so many say then it shouldn't be hard to name a replacement. Their are multiple sites that name every free agent available in the off season for all positions as well as multiple draft sites that give u names of OT's in the draft.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I aint a Free apologist. Like i keep asking the others. Name someone realistic to replace Doug Free in the offseason. No one seems to be able to do that. Just keep saying someone should be available. If he is as easy to replace as so many say then it shouldn't be hard to name a replacement. Their are multiple sites that name every free agent available in the off season for all positions as well as multiple draft sites that give u names of OT's in the draft.
You aren't presenting a plan......committing another 7.5m to Free to be terrible is a terrible plan....you seem to think there is no one in the NFL or the NCAA that can duplicate his work...... I think we 2 or 3 on the team that can do just as well for 1/10th the cost......Green, Collins and Cleary would all compare if called upon..... all things aren't equal with the cap

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So lets cut our starting right tackle right before the playoffs. LOL again at YOU. I don't see you all complaining when Zeke takes one to the house running right behind Free.

I never said that they should, would, or could cut Doug Free before the playoffs. But the undeniable fact is that he's not playing well and he's far and away this offense's biggest liability.

He was once average and now he's not even that.

LOL if you want to try to defend his play.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Actually names such as Green, Collins and Cleary have been mentioned.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice. Now go cower behind a rock. Graham is one of the leagues best left ends in the league. Free always struggles against him. No need to cut him. He has had a very good year. When Dak gets 5-7 seconds to throw on every play remember that Free is part of that.

Nobody isn't saying that they'll cut him now, but keeping using that because you don't have a valid point. Free struggles against all of the quality pass rushers he faces.

RandyOh

Reaction score
You aren't presenting a plan......committing another 7.5m to Free to be terrible is a terrible plan....you seem to think there is no one in the NFL or the NCAA that can duplicate his work...... I think we 2 or 3 on the team that can do just as well for 1/10th the cost......Green, Collins and Cleary would all compare if called upon..... all things aren't equal with the cap
I took part of what u said as a plan. Keep Free (for cheap) keep trying with the OT we took in the 3rd round. Didn't say not draft a late round OT to develop or not sign a cheap vet to compete. I'm just saying completely getting rid of Free right off the bat and hoping it works out is not a good plan at all. I can list tons of NCAA OT's right now and give u my review as well as what NFL scouts are saying about them. It seems everyone else is not able to though. All i want is someone to give me a name. No one is doing that. Why is that so hard? do i need to post links to free agent list sites and NFL draft sites? I want Free gone sooner then later too but if their is no real option who is improvement over Free from Day 1 then lets not make a rash decision. I don't care if their is an OT that can be better then Free down the line in his 2nd or 3rd year. If he is not better then him Day 1 then lets wait till 2018 class where their may be 5 or 6 OT's with 1st and 1st/2nd round grades. As well as some day 2 OT's this year who are going back for their senior year. We just put up a record of 13-3 with a rookie QB and was one of the top teams for fewest allowed sacks this year with Free at RT.

RandyOh

Reaction score
And disregarded because he's convinced himself that there are no other options.
Except Collins has been tested at RT and the coaching staff decided he was a guard and Chaz Green has been having durability issues since his freshman year of college. But yes Cleary is going to take us to the top. Imma put u down as in the Cleary camp because u have yet to give me another name other then our starting left guard, an OT who has played in 2 regular season games, and a OT who is a back up at best in the NFL. Give me a realistic option and ill agree with you.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Actually names such as Green, Collins and Cleary have been mentioned.
our left guard who has already tried out at RT and was moved back to guard, a OT who has played in 2 nfl games in 2 years, and a at best back up OT. Is that the best that we can do?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
our left guard who has already tried out at RT and was moved back to guard, a OT who has played in 2 nfl games in 2 years, and a at best back up OT. Is that the best that we can do?
And Free was our RT then our LT and then our RT.......things change

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except Collins has been tested at RT and the coaching staff decided he was a guard and Chaz Green has been having durability issues since his freshman year of college. But yes Cleary is going to take us to the top. Imma put u down as in the Cleary camp because u have yet to give me another name other then our starting left guard, an OT who has played in 2 regular season games, and a OT who is a back up at best in the NFL. Give me a realistic option and ill agree with you.

I don't have to "give you" anything. I've already given you three options that this team can consider. What you do with that information is inconsequential. According to you, Free is irreplacable. As funny as that looks.

Your own mind is made up. But the Cowboys' minds are not made up.

RandyOh

Reaction score
And Free was our RT then our LT and then our RT.......things change
So he stayed at OT though. Their is a reason teams switch players who where OT in college to OG. Even his scoutings coming out of college say he is best at OG because he is a physical mauler. He also has short arms for the position. Not to many on here complain about his pass protection. He was giving up sacks at guard where its much easier to hide lack of pass protection ability. what do you think is going to happen on the outside? the complaint about Free is that he sucks at Pass Protection. Collins may be a much better run defender but he won't make much a difference when it comes to pass protection from the strong side.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't have to "give you" anything. I've already given you three options that this team can consider. What you do with that information is inconsequential. According to you, Free is irreplacable. As funny as that looks.

Plus vets like Stinton get cut every year for cap reasons

But the idea that there are no NFL vets or NCAA OTs that can compete with a 7.5m Doug Free is laughable.........there are 3 on our team alone.....Green, Collins and Cleary

RandyOh

Reaction score

Lol You wont give me a name because u can't give me a name other then a trash back up, a good OT who hasn't been healthy since his playing days in highschool 6 years ago, and a player who the teams coaching staff has already decided should stay at guard. Good night Stasheroo. reply back to me when u can give me a free agent name or a draft prospect that can replace free day 1. Not 2 or 3 years down the road. I personally would rather play it safe and draft a RT in the 1st or trade up in the 2nd round in the 2018 draft and really make a dominate line but i guess Cleary is good too...

RandyOh

Reaction score
Plus vets like Stinton get cut every year for cap reasons

But the idea that there are no NFL vets or NCAA OTs that can compete with a 7.5m Doug Free is laughable.........there are 3 on our team alone.....Green, Collins and Cleary
Yet you can't give me a name not on the team. imma just leave u links.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tackle/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/OT

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2017OT.php

http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Dr.../Top-College-Offensive-Tackles-2017-Draft.asp

Give me a name. I am literally giving you everything you need to prove me wrong. Now please just give me a name instead of the terms "vet free agent" or "NCAA Offensive Tackle" . Give me a realistic option and ill 100% agree with yall. Keep in mind some of the players on the draft site have decided to return to school.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I'm NOT saying this is the way to go, but another option for those who know Collins isn't a tackle is to move Martin and plug Collins in at guard.

Is Collins/Martin better than Martin/Free?

RandyOh

Reaction score
I'm NOT saying this is the way to go, but another option for those who know Collins isn't a tackle is to move Martin and plug Collins in at guard.

Is Collins/Martin better than Martin/Free?
Possibly if just for a season but i really don't want to mess with the interior of the line. Martin creates so many holes for Zeke in the interior.