Cut Zeke, Sign and Trade Pollard, Draft Bijan Robinson at 26

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We have a great target.
If we waste another 1st on a RB we're daft.

Zeke ring any bells?
Draft a QB!
Who's your QB target at 26?

Zeke was a terrible pick at #4 overall, but had we traded down and gotten Zeke at pick #26 would anyone have complained?

blueblood70

Reaction score
A blue chip prospect is one that is generally perceived as "cant miss" and tend to have more proven skills that translate right away than untapped developmental potential. By that definition you could consider Bijon blue chip, but that's up for debate. Coming out of the draft Pollard wasn't a blue chip prospect by any means, that's why he went 4th round, and had to build on his skillset and didnt see consistent playing time until the last couple years. Tom Brady wasn't a blue chip prospect in the draft either. He's now considered the goat by 90% of NFL fans, but also had a pretty lackluster 30-17 TD/INT college career.

Great player from all positions come from all over and often times dont even get drafted, that's not the point. We are talking about the draft...typically you only have a couple blue chip prospects in the draft where you know they can plug right in with both high ceilings and high floors. Then you get into 1st round grades, 2nd round grades, and so on.

Maybe I'm completely missing your point here, I'm not super confident in what your argument actually is.
no such thing AS can't miss, sure thing. not in the first or the last wait Brock Purdy and Tomtb12 came from down under..crazy.. more busts in the first round then not because of these blue chip expectations.

i mean trey lance got 3 1sts at pick 3..wow that blue-chip sure cashed in.. you can get GREWAST value at RB in rounds 2-5 that been proven. again, rather have a blue-chip LG a player who want to engage and hit in the run game. that will alone help the run game. get rb in the 3rd.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Before everyone gets too high on Robinson, keep this in mind:

He ranked 31st in yards per carry.

Both McBride and Spears had MORE yards with FEWER carries than Robinson.

I'm a big UT fan and like Robinson, but come on....

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
no such thing AS can't miss, sure thing. not in the first or the last wait Brock Purdy and Tomtb12 came from down under..crazy.. more busts in the first round then not because of these blue chip expectations.

i mean trey lance got 3 1sts at pick 3..wow that blue-chip sure cashed in.. you can get GREWAST value at RB in rounds 2-5 that been proven. again, rather have a blue-chip LG a player who want to engage and hit in the run game. that will alone help the run game. get rb in the 3rd.
I agree there is no "sure thing", but you still have grades on players that seperate them and establish value as prospects. We can call them whatever we want, but in the simplest of terms the top 5 grades in the draft are going to be more valuable than the 30th ranked player who teams have a 2nd round grade on.

As far as RB values I agree with you depending upon the rest of the plan. If you plan on keeping Pollard waiting on a RB is probably the thing to do. Looking at the last couple of drafts the 3rd round RBs were:

2022 - Rachaad White, Tyrion Davis-Price, and Brian Robinson
2021 - Trey Sermon

Sermon has been a bust so far, Rachaad White was a backup for the worst rushing team in the league, but flashed at times. Tyrion Davis-Price I bet 90% of fans couldn't guess who he plays for without looking it up. Robinson I like a lot and flashed at times, but was also in Zeke territory in YPC and offered minimal in the pass game.

If you move on from Pollard and need a plug and play starting running back rounds 1 & 2 are where you need to look. You're right you can get some great values later on, however it seems pretty rare that they can run, catch, and block well right away. Most mid to late round backs are tandem backs with one dimensional skillsets that need a year or two to develop.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's your QB target at 26?

Zeke was a terrible pick at #4 overall, but had we traded down and gotten Zeke at pick #26 would anyone have complained?
I've given up trying to figure out where quarterbacks are going to fall on draft day
If the right guy is there grab him
if not perhaps someone in the 2nd round? 3rd?
Accuracy/ mental processing matter.
Arm strength not so much

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree there is no "sure thing", but you still have grades on players that seperate them and establish value as prospects. We can call them whatever we want, but in the simplest of terms the top 5 grades in the draft are going to be more valuable than the 30th ranked player who teams have a 2nd round grade on.

As far as RB values I agree with you depending upon the rest of the plan. If you plan on keeping Pollard waiting on a RB is probably the thing to do. Looking at the last couple of drafts the 3rd round RBs were:

2022 - Rachaad White, Tyrion Davis-Price, and Brian Robinson
2021 - Trey Sermon

Sermon has been a bust so far, Rachaad White was a backup for the worst rushing team in the league, but flashed at times. Tyrion Davis-Price I bet 90% of fans couldn't guess who he plays for without looking it up. Robinson I like a lot and flashed at times, but was also in Zeke territory in YPC and offered minimal in the pass game.

If you move on from Pollard and need a plug and play starting running back rounds 1 & 2 are where you need to look. You're right you can get some great values later on, however it seems pretty rare that they can run, catch, and block well right away. Most mid to late round backs are tandem backs with one dimensional skillsets that need a year or two to develop.
Breece hall and walker 3 were drafted in the 2nd round and those you listed round 3 that why i sad LG round 1 get rb in the 3rd round area.. you are hurting tour own premise.. some great backs were picked later. i mean the kid in KC had a game in the SB..hes been better then their 1st rounder from few years ago, replacing pollard with another pollard type 3rd or 4th rounder he did in fact get picked in the 4th

rather use our 1st on LG, WR, LB, or corner. Heck if premium DT is there.. RBs no need..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I've given up trying to figure out where quarterbacks are going to fall on draft day
If the right guy is there grab him
if not perhaps someone in the 2nd round? 3rd?
Accuracy/ mental processing matter.
Arm strength not so much
I'd be all for that if we get an Aaron Rogers type of draft day slide, I just dont see it. Supposedly they really like Hendon Hooker so things could get interesting round 2.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Breece hall and walker 3 were drafted in the 2nd round and those you listed round 3 that why i sad LG round 1 get rb in the 3rd round area.. you are hurting tour own premise.. some great backs were picked later. i mean the kid in KC had a game in the SB..hes been better then their 1st rounder from few years ago, replacing pollard with another pollard type 3rd or 4th rounder he did in fact get picked in the 4th

rather use our 1st on LG, WR, LB, or corner. Heck if premium DT is there.. RBs no need..
I don't think I'm hurting my own premise at all. I used round 3 because you brought up round 3 as the best value. If you want a Breece hall or Walker type you're going to have to use the 1st rounder most likely, or trade down a few spots if you find a trade partner. Breece went in pick 36, Walker 41, both top 3rd of the 1st round. The Cowboys 2nd round pick isn't until 58.

And my point isnt that you cant find quality backs in later rounds, but it's not as easy as people make it out to be. Rhamondre Stevenson is one of my favorite backs in football right now, went in the 4th round a couple years ago. Still as a rookie he struggled to see the field consistently because he was a liability in the pass game. Isiah Pacecho same story this year. Great runner, may end up one the premier backs in football at some point, but as a rookie he needed to be part of a committee. That's all that I'm saying. Go get the round 4-7 guy, but we have to remember for every success story there are two other landmines who end up on a practice squad or out of the league. You can't just plug and play any running back that falls to you in the later rounds, you better have a dependable veteran on the roster as well. Doesnt mean it has to be Tony Pollard, but it needs to be someone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would Zeke have been worth it for 5 years?
No. He was a terrible draft pick. The Cowboys had Jalen Ramsey sitting right there and passed on him. So stupid.

Then they compounded that mistake by taking Jaylon Smith in the 2nd round when Derrick Henry was sitting right there.

Give me Ramsey and Henry all day over Zeke and J. Smith.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
No. He was a terrible draft pick. The Cowboys had Jalen Ramsey sitting right there and passed on him. So stupid.

Then they compounded that mistake by taking Jaylon Smith in the 2nd round when Derrick Henry was sitting right there.

Exactly!

It's also worth noting that the point value of the Elliott pick was literally worth FOUR of the Henry picks in the second round. That #4 pick was a valuable asset.

btcutter

Reaction score

Hindsight is 20/20. Who knew Henry was going to be this good. If NFL knew he wouldn't be in the 2nd round.
If we all knew no one would have selected Goeff or Wentz with 1-2 pick.

Zeke wasn't a horrible pick. He just got worn down.
Smith was horrible pick by any measurement.

Cowboyfanforlife

Reaction score
So you are absolutely sure Robinson will be there at #26 and there isn't any other team interested in drafting him? Not very good logic. If someone takes him before #26, where does that leave you?
At least without zeke and cap savings.....then we can look later in draft for a back..but if he is there, im taking him

Cowboyfanforlife

Reaction score
he wont be there at 26 and if this team trades up to get a RB even though I think Robinson will be excellent and have many great years i would be angry.....RB isnt the difference in us getting over the hump
yea it is.....were you a fan when emmitt ( the only back in history to win rushing title and super bowl 3X) was the focal point? it really does help.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I wouldn’t have selected Zeke. I said it at the time.

I also missed on Joey Bosa. He’s far better then I thought he’d be.

I wanted Wentz or Ramsey.

We didn’t have a shot at Bosa or Wentz though.

Cowboyfanforlife

Reaction score

Yea but everyone says: ' you dont take a DB that high", like every other position....so who the heck do you draft in the first round? Always value?

blueblood70

Reaction score

sorry that not given take Ramsey lose zeke and henry,., once the top part of the draft changes one pick or 2 they all change maybe Dak not even there at 4.. that how history goes , go chage one thing many things altered.., thats a fact, you are counting on the fatc henrys there and io say nope plus ramseys now going to his 3rd team now.. him and henry here even if it were possible no way to know how that changes a dang thing for our playoff hopes and now we wouldn't have zeke or likely diggs who knows how much that and changes drafts since. Cant do that sorry no going back in hindsight and claiming its possible and for sure not claiming it changes our history one bit, possibly makes it worse.

visionary

Reaction score
3000 more yards put zeke to 13000. Every rb to ever make 13000 plus is on the hall. He can reach that by the end of his current contract. You have to let him try to do it. Hof players carry a lot of cache wjen it comes to a sports franchise’s place in history.
LOL :facepalm: :facepalm:
Please make it stop

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score

Did you have to remind us of the Ramsay and Henry possibility! At least forewarn us so we can put down sharp objects before reading.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Did you have to remind us of the Ramsay and Henry possibility! At least forewarn us so we can put down sharp objects before reading.
If it makes you feel any better I'm sure this team would have still screwed it up and been one and done in the playoffs.