News: CW: Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space without extending Dak

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to NFL writer K.D.Drummond, the Dallas Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space this week without extending Dak Prescott’s contract by making moves with other’s guys’ contracts and using Dak’s current contract. How? According to Drummond:

“The Cowboys aren’t beholden to anything here, though clearly a long-term agreement with Prescott would be the best way to create the most additional cap space. Remember though, Dak Prescott currently has two void years on his deal and like what they did with Zack Martin, they likely have language built in to add one or two more void years, allowing them to convert Prescott’s salary into a restructure bonus, adding more cap space.”

Again…all that WITHOUT extending Dak Prescott’s contract. They could make additional moves with Lamb, Diggs, Steele and cut LVE among others. This just drives me crazy when we hear SJ rail about the cap restrictions that 31 other teams don’t seem to have trouble handling. The Cowboys either chose NOT to seriously pursue FA or are just flat incompetent.

For details, read the article below.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...65m-cap-space-without-extending-dak-prescott/

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Dak’s CURRENT contract was signed, the Cowboys had language built in (also with Zack Martin) that allows converting salary into a restructure bonus and save cap space.

In other words, the Cowboys don’t have to give Dak another contract to save big cap space.
So don’t let SJ get away with saying they were restricted by the cap. It’s false.

ArtClink

Reaction score
According to NFL writer K.D.Drummond, the Dallas Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space this week without extending Dak Prescott’s contract by making moves with other’s guys’ contracts and using Dak’s current contract. How? According to Drummond:

“The Cowboys aren’t beholden to anything here, though clearly a long-term agreement with Prescott would be the best way to create the most additional cap space. Remember though, Dak Prescott currently has two void years on his deal and like what they did with Zack Martin, they likely have language built in to add one or two more void years, allowing them to convert Prescott’s salary into a restructure bonus, adding more cap space.”

Again…all that WITHOUT extending Dak Prescott’s contract. They could make additional moves with Lamb, Diggs, Steele and cut LVE among others. This just drives me crazy when we hear SJ rail about the cap restrictions that 31 other teams don’t seem to have trouble handling. The Cowboys either chose NOT to seriously pursue FA or are just flat incompetent.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...65m-cap-space-without-extending-dak-prescott/
You're right about being frustrated about the Jones Cartel doing very little to improve the team during free agency while all 31 other teams immediately maneuvered to improve their roster.

The greatest QB in NFL history couldn't win a divisional round game here with Jerry as the GM and wielding the power of the head coach. Culture matters. Having a hc with real power matters. Having a drunk idiot with zero football management skills making all the decisions matters.

I will no longer defend Dak but he would benefit from a fresh start with a real NFL franchise that cares about winning. I hope he can move on to a contender rather than go through the motions for a team with no playoff future.

I have heard for five years now from respected sportswriters that we have a Super Bowl roster but when coupled with Jerry's GM'ing, it always underachieves.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
When Dak’s CURRENT contract was signed, the Cowboys had language built in (also with Zack Martin) that allows converting salary into a restructure bonus and save cap space.

In other words, the Cowboys don’t have to give Dak another contract to save big cap space.
So don’t let SJ get away with saying they were restricted by the cap. It’s false.
exactly this Dak thing is what they are banking on with the fans "We had to pay the QB" its BS..other teams are paying QB's and making the teams better with FA's..stop letting this FO of the hook because of the QB...hell if you dont like the QB guess who is to blame for his pay????

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right about being frustrated about the Jones Cartel doing very little to improve the team during free agency while all 31 other teams immediately maneuvered to improve their roster.

The greatest QB in NFL history couldn't win a divisional round game here with Jerry as the GM and wielding the power of the head coach. Culture matters. Having a hc with real power matters. Having a drunk idiot with zero football management skills making all the decisions matters.

I will no longer defend Dak but he would benefit from a fresh start with a real NFL franchise that cares about winning. I hope he can move on to a contender rather than go through the motions for a team with no playoff future.

I have heard for five years now from respected sportswriters that we have a Super Bowl roster but when coupled with Jerry's GM'ing, it always underachieves.
It’s sickening to watch these lazy billionaires playing fantasy football and lying over and over to their fan base.

They could have a tiny bit of integrity if they just came out and said, “We aren’t going to spend any money in free agency because blah, blah blah…” I wouldn’t agree with that but at least it would be true.

Instead we hear the insult to our intelligence that the cap is holding us back. It’s garbage. Meanwhile the competent FOs are building (or at least trying to build) a better roster than last year.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It’s sickening to watch these lazy billionaires playing fantasy football and lying over and over to their fan base.

They could have a tiny bit of integrity if they just came out and said, “We aren’t going to spend any money in free agency because blah, blah blah…” I wouldn’t agree with that but at least it would be true.

Instead we hear the insult to our intelligence that the cap is holding us back. It’s garbage. Meanwhile the competent FOs are building (or at least trying to build) a better roster than last year.
Excellent points. I don't know how any fan continues to spend money on Jerry. Another point is Jerry is too busy taking paternity tests to worry about improving the roster. Then there's the business side which he also runs and demands a ton of his time since it translate into more money. So the other 31 teams have a GM working 18 days, tirelessly trying to improve the roster while our GM is cheating on his wife, getting drunk, negotiating the next Monster Truck event at the stajum. And we marvel we cannot win a divisional playoff game with 28 seasons to try to find a method that works.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I’m flat out infuriated over the timing on that Netflix thing…especially after Jerry’s comment.

Do they actually have a plan and work on improving the team or just worry about marketing and making money?

They just don’t care about slapping fans in the face, and I really don’t know who it is that continues to buy into their crap.

I’ve about 90% turned to where I am going to actively root for their failure. I have no idea how anyone continues to support this act.

SwagSurfer

Reaction score

Of course. This has been a trend for the Jones'. Sit on their hands and throw their players under the bus.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Looks like they chose NOT to seriously pursue FA.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m flat out infuriated over the timing on that Netflix thing…especially after Jerry’s comment.

Do they actually have a plan and work on improving the team or just worry about marketing and making money?

They just don’t care about slapping fans in the face, and I really don’t know who it is that continues to buy into their crap.

I’ve about 90% turned to where I am going to actively root for their failure. I have no idea how anyone continues to support this act.
It’s not the players fault the owners are idiots.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to NFL writer K.D.Drummond, the Dallas Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space this week without extending Dak Prescott’s contract by making moves with other’s guys’ contracts and using Dak’s current contract.
We've been over this for several weeks.

Some just keep saying was don't have any money or cap space over and over and over.

I guess they think if they keep repeating it maybe it will come true or everyone will believe it.