News: CW: Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space without extending Dak

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's 55per, with Lawrence to come, close enough. Cousins and Baker got nowhere near top of market (BUT got less years). Market Setting contracts are being mitigated by longer term contracts.
I’d agree with that.

It’s looking like 55 + per. But all of your post have pushed the 60 mil?

Daks deal will definitely be over 50. And prob closer to 55. But that’s not 60.

Unfortunately I think Jethro is willing and I can’t imagine him letting Dak walk . Sorry, that’s my take.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’d agree with that.

It’s looking like 55 + per. But all of your post have pushed the 60 mil?

Daks deal will definitely be over 50. And prob closer to 55. But that’s not 60.

Unfortunately I think Jethro is willing and I can’t imagine him letting Dak walk . Sorry, that’s my take.
Well to set the market he would need roughly 60m and we still have the restructured CAP to factor in ($36m in 2025 or $61m if the deals effectual for 2024, which I doubt as Dak is about to be paid $34m cash)...ok, that's on Jerry, HOWEVER, that was to provide Dak with the weapons.
Again, if we restructure this OP $60m we'll be left with about $20m, in 2025 but in need of: QB, WR1, WR2, LB, DT1, DE.
You go ALL-IN on a good hand.....GB killed that (as you say the roster stank it up).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My hunch is if Dak hits FA open market we will be out of the picture. And I’d be ok with that.

But I don’t think Jethro is prepared or willing to get into a bidding war in FA.

If Jethro is truly All In on Dak which I believe he is I expect a deal done by September which whatever it is is likely to be less than 2025 barring a season ending injury this year that might bring into question his future.

That’s the only bargaining chip Jethro has. Without a deal Dak has to risk his health, a bad season or another embarrassing ending which could impact his value. Maybe that could be enough from busting the bank more.
Yep, I'd agree Jerry wants Dak, but is using the only advantages he has:
-This year's roster (if he doesn't spend and Dak doesn't perform who'll pay 'Market setting')
-Dak could be facing injury, especially if we go pure BPA rather than much needed O-Line
- in FA, Dak may get the money, but may have to play in a less than salubrious (or commercially advantageous) location.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep, I'd agree Jerry wants Dak, but is using the only advantages he has:
-This year's roster (if he doesn't spend and Dak doesn't perform who'll pay 'Market setting')
-Dak could be facing injury, especially if we go pure BPA rather than much needed O-Line
- in FA, Dak may get the money, but may have to play in a less than salubrious (or commercially advantageous) location.
Anything is possible . I don’t really have much thought on all of those scenarios .

I’m focused on what Jethro will do this year. And I expect him to cave in to Dak. We shall see.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Anything is possible . I don’t really have much thought on all of those scenarios .

I’m focused on what Jethro will do this year. And I expect him to cave in to Dak. We shall see.
Why just this year? Strange thing to say, especially as you acknowledge the issues throughout the roster in the GB game.

On Dak's contract, it would be interesting to know, how many of the 'Market Setting' contracts, have NTC's?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well to set the market he would need roughly 60m and we still have the restructured CAP to factor in ($36m in 2025 or $61m if the deals effectual for 2024, which I doubt as Dak is about to be paid $34m cash)...ok, that's on Jerry, HOWEVER, that was to provide Dak with the weapons.
Again, if we restructure this OP $60m we'll be left with about $20m, in 2025 but in need of: QB, WR1, WR2, LB, DT1, DE.
You go ALL-IN on a good hand.....GB killed that (as you say the roster stank it up).
And that’s a big part of the problem. Jethro appears to think he has a good hand . Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why just this year? Strange thing to say, especially as you acknowledge the issues throughout the roster in the GB game.

On Dak's contract, it would be interesting to know, how many of the 'Market Setting' contracts, have NTC's?
Because that’s basically how Jethro manages the team. From year to year.

He can only hype and sell one season at a time. And then wait on the results for how he spins the damage control. Vicious cycle!!

I’m not sure he sees all of the weaknesses and holes we have.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And that’s a big part of the problem. Jethro appears to think he has a good hand . Lol
I wonder if someone had the nerve to tell him that he was totally worked over by the last contract?
Because that’s basically how Jethro manages the team. From year to year.
That's possibly why he's giving the impression that he's not doing the same 'ole and just restructure as much as he can. That's why i can get behind this resetting the CAP year.
I have the fear that he hasn't the nerve to see it through and at THAT point he potentially loses everything.....CAP Hell and no QB.
To balance this up, if we lost to GB in a close game that came down to a late defeat I'd be screaming for an ALL-IN approach this year.....but we are just too far away.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wonder if someone had the nerve to tell him that he was totally worked over by the last contract?

That's possibly why he's giving the impression that he's not doing the same 'ole and just restructure as much as he can. That's why i can get behind this resetting the CAP year.
I have the fear that he hasn't the nerve to see it through and at THAT point he potentially loses everything.....CAP Hell and no QB.
To balance this up, if we lost to GB in a close game that came down to a late defeat I'd be screaming for an ALL-IN approach this year.....but we are just too far away.
I hear ya and agree with much. Unfortunately I don’t think Jethro sees it. He thinks or at least portrays he thinks we’re closer. And even if he does to some extent could be too stubborn or arrogant to shift gears.

We will know by September if he hasn’t reached a deal with Prescott.