News: CW: Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space without extending Dak

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d advise any player to walk away for more money.

Some fans just can’t accept the reality the NFL is a business first.

Show Me The Money!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I understand but it’s just not the reality of the NFL.

Players don’t care as much as we would want them to win. Not if it gets in the way of bigger contracts.

That’s on the FO to manage not the players.
That whom (FO) I'm referring to. If the players don't like it, they (and their agents) can start skipping to another team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And you would fail at running a business. You would be left with No Money!!
Normal business are not ran like professional sports teams.NFL is even more different as they require you to spend most of the Cap.

The bigger point here is I’m looking at from the players perspective. And why Dak shouldn’t take less.

Get all you can why you can and the Cowboys FO figure out the rest. Cause they’ll dump you whenever they’re ready. And your career could end on the snap .

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If players are over paid or held on too long, etc .. that’s on the FO.

Players are under no obligation for team friendly deals. Only aging veterans are generally sympathetic to those mainly afraid they’d be released otherwise. And too old to seek better contracts elsewhere.

Too many fans still waving their Pom Poms thinking this is still a game they place winning as top priority. No, getting rich and securing yourself as much as possible financially is the main goal.

Winning is great but only after you’ve made your money.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Normal business are not ran like professional sports teams.NFL is even more different as they require you to spend most of the Cap.

The bigger point here is I’m looking at from the players perspective. And why Dak shouldn’t take less.

Get all you can why you can and the Cowboys FO figure out the rest. Cause they’ll dump you whenever they’re ready. And your career could end on the snap .
Then you aren't a Cowboys fan. You're a players fan.

khiladi

Reaction score
According to NFL writer K.D.Drummond, the Dallas Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space this week without extending Dak Prescott’s contract by making moves with other’s guys’ contracts and using Dak’s current contract. How? According to Drummond:

“The Cowboys aren’t beholden to anything here, though clearly a long-term agreement with Prescott would be the best way to create the most additional cap space. Remember though, Dak Prescott currently has two void years on his deal and like what they did with Zack Martin, they likely have language built in to add one or two more void years, allowing them to convert Prescott’s salary into a restructure bonus, adding more cap space.”

Again…all that WITHOUT extending Dak Prescott’s contract. They could make additional moves with Lamb, Diggs, Steele and cut LVE among others. This just drives me crazy when we hear SJ rail about the cap restrictions that 31 other teams don’t seem to have trouble handling. The Cowboys either chose NOT to seriously pursue FA or are just flat incompetent.

For details, read the article below.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...65m-cap-space-without-extending-dak-prescott/
They choose not to. This has been Stephen’s approach to the cap for years.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...s-salary-cap-approach-free-agents-draft-picks

khiladi

Reaction score
You're right about being frustrated about the Jones Cartel doing very little to improve the team during free agency while all 31 other teams immediately maneuvered to improve their roster.

The greatest QB in NFL history couldn't win a divisional round game here with Jerry as the GM and wielding the power of the head coach. Culture matters. Having a hc with real power matters. Having a drunk idiot with zero football management skills making all the decisions matters.

I will no longer defend Dak but he would benefit from a fresh start with a real NFL franchise that cares about winning. I hope he can move on to a contender rather than go through the motions for a team with no playoff future.

I have heard for five years now from respected sportswriters that we have a Super Bowl roster but when coupled with Jerry's GM'ing, it always underachieves.
I guarantee to you if we had any of the greatest QBs in NFL history, unlike Dak, we would have made it past the divisional rounds multiple times with this roster we had.

This franchise has BABY SAT this fraud QB for 8 years, including allowing him to play in meaningless games to get more in-game experience, though they could have played back-ups. They got rid of Dez, who they claim was a distraction for Dak, and created the “Dak-friendly” offense. Dak was saying at that time they didn’t need a “number 1” WR and you take what the defense gives you. They then leveraged assets to get him x Cooper who they then scape-GOATed saying he disappeared. They blamed Linehan for his conservative and simple offenses, then they got rid of him. Then they scapegoated Moore whom they got rid of. And they went Texas West Coast, which they abandoned mid-season. And now they are blaming the number 1 defense, both in scoring and TOs and Dan Quinn.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Signing the biggest contract takes priority over winning. It’s why these players bolt to other teams . They follow the money.
Exactly and that's why Dak taking a $65m CAP hit for 3 years (when deferments taken into account) just kills the chance to build a roster ....THAT HE NEEDS. You yourself have stated the blame for the GB loss was EVERYONE, well to improve the other areas of the roster (run d, running game, O-Line), will take money.....because he's a QB that needs support and weapons:
a) a Defense that stops the run, because play-off teams are taking a lead and gambling (as Jimmie Ward said) on stopping the run and seeing if Dak can beat them (he'd 0-3 in last three years).
b) O-Line because he's getting less mobile and also a run game.

If Dak wants the last dollar, over playing for Dallas, then bye, enjoy Minnesota or Seattle (or pray that Goff or Tua dont get extended).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I guarantee to you if we had any of the greatest QBs in NFL history, unlike Dak, we would have made it past the divisional rounds multiple times with this roster we had.

This franchise has BABY SAT this fraud QB for 8 years, including allowing him to play in meaningless games to get more in-game experience, though they could have played back-ups. They got rid of Dez, who they claim was a distraction for Dak, and created the “Dak-friendly” offense. Dak was saying at that time they didn’t need a “number 1” WR and you take what the defense gives you. They then leveraged assets to get him x Cooper who they then scape-GOATed saying he disappeared. They blamed Linehan for his conservative and simple offenses, then they got rid of him. Then they scapegoated Moore whom they got rid of. And they went Texas West Coast, which they abandoned mid-season. And now they are blaming the number 1 defense, both in scoring and TOs and Dan Quinn.
Yep, its........ Regular Dak v Play-off Dak . Is he the best we can get, yea probably, however, it doesnt take anything away from the evidence that he needs A LOT of assistance when trailing in the Play-Offs, he needs a stellar Defense that keeps us in a game (because as soon as he see's the score against us raising that's when he folds).
He is good, but not good enough on his own ability, that to me, means he shouldnt be paid 'Market Setting' .....or if he wanted top money, concede on the number of years, longer contract to allow some CAP manipulation.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry said his biggest fear was being poor. He runs the team/business like this. I know we will never win anything again, you slow learners will learn it one day before Mister Groundhog delivers your mail, maybe. shrugs.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yea, this fan forum hasn’t always been a good barometer of Cowboys Nation.

Despite the frustration and disappointment from another poor performance and early exit in playoffs Dak is still a popular player.

Most fans realize he wasn’t only one who crapped the bed. Entire team choked.

But I’m not sure Jethro endorsing Dak and over hyping and paying him is necessarily a good sign. I don’t think most fans want to be aligned with Jethro. They know we probably aren’t a playoff team without Dak .
We aren't a serious one with him either. We're never winning anything with this ownership anyway.

Last edited:

ArtClink

Reaction score

We simply disagree. The Jones model where the head coach has no power is devastating to a locker room and its culture.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yea, this fan forum hasn’t always been a good barometer of Cowboys Nation.

Despite the frustration and disappointment from another poor performance and early exit in playoffs Dak is still a popular player.

Most fans realize he wasn’t only one who crapped the bed. Entire team choked.

But I’m not sure Jethro endorsing Dak and over hyping and paying him is necessarily a good sign. I don’t think most fans want to be aligned with Jethro. They know we probably aren’t a playoff team without Dak .
True but, Cowboys fans aren't a true barometer of most (non-Cowboys) NFL fans/experts.
They see him for the overall struggles, rather than the 'flat track bullying'.
You really need to stop with the extremes....its not an either/or. Jerry's model will never work, because he overpays for personalities rather than players (as highlighted that we NEVER trade away to reinvest), but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Dak needs too much assistance to achieve (AND THAT CANT BE DONE BY PAYING DAK 'MARKET SETTING' ON A SHORT TERM).
You yourself said 'SPREAD THE BLAME' for GB, well you can't improve those areas if you have to pay Dak $60/$65m CAP for 3 years (even with two void years).
Just can't do it.
Best case scenario, reset the CAP, get a GM and let him decide on whether he wishes to build around Dak or, maybe, around building the trenches.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’d advise any player to walk away for more money.

Some fans just can’t accept the reality the NFL is a business first.

Show Me The Money!!
OK, but you're advocating playing one player, Dak. Fine, but if you pay him the whole 'bag' (on his terms, length of contract), no more of this SHARING THE BLAME.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I understand but it’s just not the reality of the NFL.

Players don’t care as much as we would want them to win. Not if it gets in the way of bigger contracts.

That’s on the FO to manage not the players.
But the reality of the QB market, is that these 'market setting' QB's are accepting longer contracts to help the team get around the CAP......NOT DAK by the sound of it (as evidenced in last contract).