News: CW: Cowboys could clear over $60 million in cap space without extending Dak

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the reality of the QB market, is that these 'market setting' QB's are accepting longer contracts to help the team get around the CAP......NOT DAK by the sound of it (as evidenced in last contract).
This is incorrect. Dak’s current contract would still allow more cap restructuring than the Cowboys are choosing to do. As the article I posted in the OP says, the Cowboys could save $65 million in cap space, WITHOUT giving Dak an extension. They are choosing not todo this so far.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But the reality of the QB market, is that these 'market setting' QB's are accepting longer contracts to help the team get around the CAP......NOT DAK by the sound of it (as evidenced in last contract).
Please refer to Bobhaze post above.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OK, but you're advocating playing one player, Dak. Fine, but if you pay him the whole 'bag' (on his terms, length of contract), no more of this SHARING THE BLAME.
I’m advocating that all players are in it for the money and they should optimize their own situation.

Fans need to stop expecting players to manage the budget. That’s not their responsibility.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True but, Cowboys fans aren't a true barometer of most (non-Cowboys) NFL fans/experts.
They see him for the overall struggles, rather than the 'flat track bullying'.
You really need to stop with the extremes....its not an either/or. Jerry's model will never work, because he overpays for personalities rather than players (as highlighted that we NEVER trade away to reinvest), but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Dak needs too much assistance to achieve (AND THAT CANT BE DONE BY PAYING DAK 'MARKET SETTING' ON A SHORT TERM).
You yourself said 'SPREAD THE BLAME' for GB, well you can't improve those areas if you have to pay Dak $60/$65m CAP for 3 years (even with two void years).
Just can't do it.
Best case scenario, reset the CAP, get a GM and let him decide on whether he wishes to build around Dak or, maybe, around building the trenches.
Don’t misunderstand my message. Im not defending Daks performance. But he isn’t only one who underperformed. And I’ve been an ardent critic of Jethro and his dysfunctional ways operating Cowboys Football. His priorities are often out of whack. As always there’s several contributing factors

If he believes in Prescott that’s on him. The fact it can skew a better opportunity to surround our QB and have more success, again that’s on him if he’s over evaluated Prescott and poorly managed situation.

I’m not disagreeing with your solution. I agree Jethro’s model will probably never work. As I stated from the onset I’m not really interested in what your or my solutions are . I’m only interested in analyzing and projecting what our owner will do. Afterall that’s all that matters.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is incorrect. Dak’s current contract would still allow more cap restructuring than the Cowboys are choosing to do. As the article I posted in the OP says, the Cowboys could save $65 million in cap space, WITHOUT giving Dak an extension. They are choosing not todo this so far.
Which just gets kicked into 2025....where Dak and CeeDee's contracts are up.
You're just advocating giving Dak the weapons in a contract year that could leave us, in 2025, with CAP Hell and no QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then you aren't a Cowboys fan. You're a players fan.
You’re totally missing my message here. I’m being very sarcastic and critical of our owner.

Sure we’d like Dak to take less but my argument is it’s not his responsibility to balance the budget.

In advocating that all players are in it for the money . This is a business first.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You’re totally missing my message here. I’m being very sarcastic and critical of our owner.

Sure we’d like Dak to take less but my argument is it’s not his responsibility to balance the budget.

In advocating that all players are in it for the money . This is a business first.
But we're discussing why it's pretty stupid to spend $60m in CAP restructure when your QB and CAP Hell are awaiting in 2025.
You yourself agree that there's blame enough to go round (for GB), well there's nobody that would guarantee that win with a full $60m infusion of CAP.
If you're 'analysising' Jerry then you have to take into account 2025....its pretty easy looking at what's in front of you without having to look at 2025 (with CAP Hell and no QB).
My point is play out 2024 on pretty much existing reset and look to 2025 (with or without Dak).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

OK, but when Dak's getting his bag (and the players appear to be questioning the value), shouldn't they want/expect the same?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes or close to it . We don’t even know what those demands are yet.
Market Setting - 3 years. You're advocating paying him. So in your analysis do you think Dak wants that in 2024 or 2025 (don't forget the deferred CAP to add on and CeeDee wanting that $30m ala Jefferson money).

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But we're discussing why it's pretty stupid to spend $60m in CAP restructure when your QB and CAP Hell are awaiting in 2025.
You yourself agree that there's blame enough to go round (for GB), well there's nobody that would guarantee that win with a full $60m infusion of CAP.
If you're 'analysising' Jerry then you have to take into account 2025....its pretty easy looking at what's in front of you without having to look at 2025 (with CAP Hell and no QB).
My point is play out 2024 on pretty much existing reset and look to 2025 (with or without Dak).
Again , you’re inserting your plan in the end . Which I’m not going to address cause you have no impact on the decision.

Franchise QB’s are going to have the biggest piece of the pie. Unfortunately that’s reality in NFL after Rookie deals .

I’m not disputing it’s stupid . My argument is why Jethro would do it. And why it’s not Daks responsibility.

If Daks contract throws the Cap out of balance that’s on our ownership .

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which just gets kicked into 2025....where Dak and CeeDee's contracts are up.
You're just advocating giving Dak the weapons in a contract year that could leave us, in 2025, with CAP Hell and no QB.
CW I’m not advocating for Dak. I’m simply pointing out that the Cowboys could save a ton of cap space without extending Dak’s contract past 2024. So far the Cowboys have chosen not to do that.

I think were arguing apples and oranges here. I would recommend reading the article I posted in the OP:
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...65m-cap-space-without-extending-dak-prescott/

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
CW I’m not advocating for Dak. I’m simply pointing out that the Cowboys could save a ton of cap space without extending Dak’s contract past 2024. So far the Cowboys have chosen not to do that.

I think were arguing apples and oranges here. I would recommend reading the article I posted in the OP:
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...65m-cap-space-without-extending-dak-prescott/
I've read it, however, it's hardly balanced as it doesn't give an insight into what 2025 would look like....especially as Dak would hit the open market.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've read it, however, it's hardly balanced as it doesn't give an insight into what 2025 would look like....especially as Dak would hit the open market.
That’s fine. You are certainly entitled to disagree with the article’s assertions or my opinions about it. It’s all good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OK, but when Dak's getting his bag (and the players appear to be questioning the value), shouldn't they want/expect the same?
Of course. All players should be advocating to optimize their contracts. That’s the conundrum owners have to deal with. And if they over value a player it can cost them.

The NFL over values QB’s because there’s a shortage of Franchise QB’s. This isn’t breaking news. Look at the deals Cousins and Baker just received who arent considered closer to the top of Market Price.

I don’t know that the top of Market Price has been set yet. Has it been established at 60 yet? Or is that speculation.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Again , you’re inserting your plan in the end . Which I’m not going to address cause you have no impact on the decision.

Franchise QB’s are going to have the biggest piece of the pie. Unfortunately that’s reality in NFL after Rookie deals .

I’m not disputing it’s stupid . My argument is why Jethro would do it. And why it’s not Daks responsibility.

If Daks contract throws the Cap out of balance that’s on our ownership .
I'm inserting it as your 'analysis' fails to address the issues, you're just apportioning blame (again, and again).
You're not analysing Jerry's dilemma, which is a dilemma based, in part, in the now apparent lack of confidence in going all-in in 2024, because, in large part to Dak's performance in 2023.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That’s fine. You are certainly entitled to disagree with the article’s assertions or my opinions about it. It’s all good.
Yea it is, but not arguing with the assertion that we could, just pointing out that it's slanted for fans and click bait.....look what you could have (but don't explain the negatives).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Of course. All players should be advocating to optimize their contracts. That’s the conundrum owners have to deal with. And if they over value a player it can cost them.

The NFL over values QB’s because there’s a shortage of Franchise QB’s. This isn’t breaking news. Look at the deals Cousins and Baker just received who arent considered closer to the top of Market Price.

I don’t know that the top of Market Price has been set yet. Has it been established at 60 yet? Or is that speculation.
It's 55per, with Lawrence to come, close enough. Cousins and Baker got nowhere near top of market (BUT got less years). Market Setting contracts are being mitigated by longer term contracts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My hunch is if Dak hits FA open market we will be out of the picture. And I’d be ok with that.

But I don’t think Jethro is prepared or willing to get into a bidding war in FA.

If Jethro is truly All In on Dak which I believe he is I expect a deal done by September which whatever it is is likely to be less than 2025 barring a season ending injury this year that might bring into question his future.

That’s the only bargaining chip Jethro has. Without a deal Dak has to risk his health, a bad season or another embarrassing ending which could impact his value. Maybe that could be enough from busting the bank more.