News: CW: Cowboys reportedly 'dug in' on Zack Martin contract holdout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Yes
Are you really comparing the careers of Martin and Elliott? Martin got a big paycheck and keeps producing at an All Pro level, and as such is currently underpaid. The Cowboys have got more than their money's worth. The dude has more all Pros in his career than he has holding calls for God's sake. Zeke got paid, and was never as good as he was before the payday.
YES, I am

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
My prediction is Martin comes back after camp breaks. No need for him to fly out to California now. This will get settled before the season starts. He's one guy that doesn't need camp and preseason and I'm confident he will be in shape when he returns.

To me this is an easy contract to get done. Pay him an extra $5 million or whatever he wants as an up-front bonus and spread the cap hit out across future years. Martin gets the added money he wants and the Cowboys' cap is only slightly altered in the immediate future.

It's about time this team gets into win-now mode. Cap Boy is constantly worried about a future we've been waiting 26 years to arrive.

Flamma

Reaction score
Without Martin and eventually without Tyron this Gulf Coast offense will be as murky as the water.

At least we’ll have a scapegoat for laying a turd this season:)
It's their own fault. I think everyone was expecting the Cowboys to draft an OL on day 2. Mainly because of Tyron.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Well for starters, having our GM try to make Martin out to be a bad guy here because his demands for an extension may make it hard to sign Parsons and Lamb was chicken****. Shut up Jerry.

Martin also carries a 23 million cap hit next year so they likely have to do something about his contract anyway at some point (unless they plan on just dumping him in the next 12-24 months) so digging in now and alienating a key to your season and a Hall of Fame player seems kind of silly.

Now sure, if Martin has some ridiculous demand (like a $30 million signing bonus and a 6 year contract with $50 mllion guaranteed), Jerry is likely digging in for no real good reason.
I get that view not wanting to upset your outstanding guard or others on the team. However, this is all part of the negotiation process. If you caved so easily what does that say to the other players wanting to get a new contract? Many more would be knocking at your door looking for more. When you make it harder, others second guess doing the same, is it worth the risk, is this how I want to conduct business and impact relationships? They'll likely end up coming to a resolution with Martin but anyone involved in professional negotiation knows you dont show your full deck too early.

Eventually the current 4th highest paid RG will report for the regular season as is or the Cowboys will give him north of 16 million with additional incentive bonuses and move him into the top 5 of all guards.

If this were to extend into the regular season it would cost Martin a lot more money vs around a 1,000,000 for camp so I just dont see that happening.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
This isn't a contract "holdout." It's a contract "breach." Martin has reneged on his word, letting down his teammates and the entire organization. I have no sympathy for him.
There is language in the CBA that covers “holdout”, so it is not a “breach” of his agreement.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Ya sure ....... lets see if Martin just comes back with his tail between his legs and plays.

Or if Jerry gives in.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
That's YOUR opinion, not mine
Then your analysis is wrong. You can't compare the two. One has more than lived up to his contract and has been a bargain if anything. The other completely let the team down after getting paid. It's completely different. And Zeke's deal was done early as well. They could have stuck it to him but didn't.

Reaction score
Then your analysis is wrong. You can't compare the two. One has more than lived up to his contract and has been a bargain if anything. The other completely let the team down after getting paid. It's completely different. And Zeke's deal was done early as well. They could have stuck it to him but didn't.
Again That's your opinion and your welcomed to it. That wasn't my analysis, it IS my OPINION. I nor you, have the data to give an analysis. So all we can have is AN OPINION.

In short IT'S NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. BUT in my humble OPINION, Zeke is a damn good back and Dallas got their money's worth. AGAIN just my opinion !

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Again That's your opinion and your welcomed to it. That wasn't my analysis, it IS my OPINION. I nor you, have the data to give an analysis. So all we can have is AN OPINION.

In short IT'S NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. BUT in my humble OPINION, Zeke is a damn good back and Dallas got their money's worth. AGAIN just my opinion !
That is why he is broke down on the market and no one wants him.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
WRONG!!!!!!
Absolutely 100% correct.

QB is the most important piece. Offensive Linemen are next, then elite pass rushers. Literally everything else comes after that. All other positions both players and coaches are less critical to success than the first three items.

It has always been this way since the SB era began, and the rules have continuously changed to make this even more the case.

Reaction score
Absolutely 100% correct.

QB is the most important piece. Offensive Linemen are next, then elite pass rushers. Literally everything else comes after that. All other positions both players and coaches are less critical to success than the first three items.

It has always been this way since the SB era began, and the rules have continuously changed to make this even more the case.
Another One Sheesh !!!!!!!! No One is more important than any one else. Kicker ain't important until 02 Seconds left 4th and 20 from the thirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.