News: CW: Cowboys reportedly 'dug in' on Zack Martin contract holdout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why because they didnt immediately give in to a players demands whos under contract?
Well for starters, having our GM try to make Martin out to be a bad guy here because his demands for an extension may make it hard to sign Parsons and Lamb was chicken****. Shut up Jerry.

Martin also carries a 23 million cap hit next year so they likely have to do something about his contract anyway at some point (unless they plan on just dumping him in the next 12-24 months) so digging in now and alienating a key to your season and a Hall of Fame player seems kind of silly.

Now sure, if Martin has some ridiculous demand (like a $30 million signing bonus and a 6 year contract with $50 mllion guaranteed), Jerry is likely digging in for no real good reason.

Sydla

Reaction score
Agreed. Maybe this makes sense if Martin was not owed a huge number next year. It would be prudent for Jerry to move this along soon. Get Martin into camp in a week or so and all is fine.
He's only owed his base salary next year. That is it. HIs cap hit, however, is large at $23 million.

Havic

Reaction score
I'm with you on this. I just don't care that he's not at camp. If he doesn't play, then I'll care. At some point Jerry has to make a stand or else he's going to look like an idiot. If he hasn't already. You can't talk tough, then ultimately swallow. Or else no one is going to take you seriously anymore.
Yup and say he was in the final year I’d be ok with a hold out but not with two years out

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great. We are going to roll the dice . I can’t wait to see our new Gulf Coast offense without Martin. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
do you really think this holdout wont "Magically" resolve itself before week1?
Initially I was optimistic it would resolve before the season begun but the more I see reports like this I’m beginning to think we might roll the dice and see what happens.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
All they needed to do was recognize him with a decent pay raise after his last 3 All Pro selections to keep near the current rate. I know he signed a contract but GOOD employees shouldn't have to ask for a promotion or salary change...
Exactly, this guy has been worth every penny or more since he came into the league and they should take care of him.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Initially I was optimistic it would resolve before the season begun but the more I see reports like this I’m beginning to think we might roll the dice and see what happens.
I dont think so if you look at the 2 sides in question, what real incentive does Jerry have to leave a big hole at RG on a team everyone agrees has a shot, Martin really has no options, literally he has the "Please look at how i played last year and throw me some more money or I'll .... make no money for a couple years" neither side has time to play chicken.. Jerry because you know windows and death... Martin because contract signed and father time wont stop while he waits it out....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Pretty smart timing on Martin's part too, not only because of the age and sitting out TC, but Cowboys don't have much leverage on this. Nothing that encouraging about our depth thus far. I was afraid this is what last year was going to look like but Tyler was a success, McGovern played decent at times, and Biadasz/Steele secured their starting positions. We were shaky though with the injuries late in the year. This may be the year that Oline finally starts hurting?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Pretty smart timing on Martin's part too, not only because of the age and sitting out TC, but Cowboys don't have much leverage on this. Nothing too encouraging about our depth thus far.
Martin really has no leverage either, again they will get a restructure done but only because both sides have no time to play chicken...and no option b's to be honest.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
When you are on the same team you do not "dig in" with a guy like Martin who has been a quiet star for years. I understand the position with the CAP but Martin is not the guy you use to set an example. They gave Malik Hooker money, and while I like him, I would never have considered him a priority. That deal has to have Martin fuming.

This is what irritates me about the salary CAP. Veterans like Martin who earned their money wind up begging for crumbs at the end of their careers. If Jerry sticks to his guns, Martin will need to leave Dallas with maybe 2 years left in his career to get a contract after having been an all-pro HoF RG for Dallas since he left college. Vets like Martin should get some kind of CAP exemption so they can finish their careers with the team they started with. This is where the old days were better for fans. Guys played for the same team and became part of that team for posterity. There is something cool about that that doesn't exist anymore.

The time to dig in was with Zeke. He never deserved $15 million per year.
So It's wrong for Zack to have to beg for crumbs, but Zeke , Screw him and let him beg ?????

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So It's wrong for Zack to have to beg for crumbs, but Zeke , Screw him and let him beg ?????
Are you really comparing the careers of Martin and Elliott? Martin got a big paycheck and keeps producing at an All Pro level, and as such is currently underpaid. The Cowboys have got more than their money's worth. The dude has more all Pros in his career than he has holding calls for God's sake. Zeke got paid, and was never as good as he was before the payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.