CW: Through Week 3, Cowboys WRs rank among worst in separation

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
YES IT IS. I'll post it again, you're using half the definition. It does not matter if the player is targeted or not, it is tracking of every route.

What is Next Generation Stats?​

NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches​
The imperfection is that it doesn't quite account for when DBs break off their coverage or really account for passing lanes that are blocked by zone coverage.

I'm sorry you're too lazy to actually go to the website, but it is right there in black and white.
Now I am actually starting to understand that peeps don't actually watch live football, just hanging out with their phones tracking stats.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Said it for years, routes are not creative and receivers are very poor route runners. Vanilla offense. Like it has been dumbed down for all the offense. Same with the line blocking.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No only the player receiving or missed the catch believe what ever you like there is also a team metric that is what you say and the Cowboys are average to the league the OP post is individual to the wr targeted only
You are wrong. It is right in the definition. Here I'll make it big bold and colorful for you.

NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches.​
This metric does not qualify based on who is targeted.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Now I am actually starting to understand that peeps don't actually watch live football, just hanging out with their phones tracking stats.
"I don't like the numbers because I don't believe them."

Chef's kiss. Just an absolute perfect response showing my point perfectly.

Brax

Reaction score
You are wrong. It is right in the definition. Here I'll make it big bold and colorful for you.

NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches.​
This metric does not qualify based on who is targeted.
Not going to argue with you anymore that is a general statement for how they get to data. I understand as do most how subsets of data are then generated you don’t. The data in question is for the receiver targeted only sorry it’s so hard to understand have a nice day

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
What evidence? It is literally right on the NGS site. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/glossary

There is nothing to water down. It is computer-generated numbers. There is no human element and the playcall or target does not matter.
That's the overview of the whole operation. Nowhere does it say they use the entirety of their capabilities on every single stat they produce. Add to that the simple common sense factor that should tell you it wouldn't even be useful information to include how much separation the TE got on a RB screen.

The irony here is you, of all people, telling others that they are seeing what they want to see.

But whatever. Carry on and good luck.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Always
always
always

a thread that directly or indirectly props up Dak

never fails

These threads are always a good litmus test to determine posters who are smart enough to actually understand what mechanics of what it takes for a successful, positive-yardage football play versus those who just want to blindly rant about the quarterback.

Brax

Reaction score
That's the overview of the whole operation. Nowhere does it say they use the entirety of their capabilities on every single stat they produce. Add to that the simple common sense factor that should tell you it wouldn't even be useful information to include how much separation the TE got on a RB screen.

The irony here is you, of all people, telling others that they are seeing what they want to see.

Data is dangerous to those who don’t understand it or how it is used. I tried and you did too to help him understand I don’t think he wants to know what it really means he wants it to be what he wants like a few others it’s sad but nothing more to be done

DFWJC

Reaction score
These threads are always a good litmus test to determine posters who are smart enough to actually understand what mechanics of what it takes for a successful, positive-yardage football play versus those who just want to blindly rant about the quarterback.
My post stands though. The OP is relentless in posting everything DP
thats fine…..but its very predictable

and I say that as someone who doesn't constantly rant about the QB…..positively or negatively

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

LMAO

They explicitly clarify stats for targeted plays.

You are wrong. You and that other old guy won't admit it, but you are.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I guess Jerry Rice was lucky the double team was not invented yet when he played. Almost makes me wonder why anyone would ever pay 34 million per year for a slot receiver.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
LMAO

They explicitly clarify stats for targeted plays.

You are wrong. You and that other old guy won't admit it, but you are.
Show me. Where is the data you're always blabbing about?

The other "old guy"? lol. That's three things right out of the marathon playbook you've used in this thread. Three unusual things at that. Quack quack, waddle waddle.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I wouldnt doubt at all if our WRs arent getting as open ad they should

however

Next Gen is fun but very flawed with their “tight windows” and “separation” stats

They measure at time the ball arrives vs optimum time ball could have arrived….or if ball even went to most open player

it can radically alter their stats

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Show me. Where is the data you're always blabbing about?

The other "old guy"? lol. That's three things right out of the marathon playbook you've used in this thread. Three unusual things at that. Quack quack, waddle waddle.
What are you talking about? It's on the site you don't know how to read.
  • Average Targeted Air Yards (TAY)The average passing air yards per target for the receiver, by measuring the yards downfield at the time of all passing attempts that the receiver is the target. This stat indicates how far down the field they are being targeted on average.
The literally clarify when they are using a targeted player.

This board is myopic and outdated. It is old guys who don't like how much players make, regardless of the tangible impact on the cap, and refuse to acknowledge actual data and "fancy stats" because it undermines everything you think you know. You're all exactly the same, and think exactly the same way Jerry does but constantly whine about him lol.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I wouldnt doubt at all if our WRs arent getting as open ad they should

however

Next Gen is fun but very flawed with their “tight windows” and “separation” stats

They measure at time the ball arrives vs optimum time ball could have arrived….or if ball even went to most open player

it can radically alter their stats
I'm not defending Dak because he clearly needs to be playing better, but too many on just focused on the "Next Gen" stats and ignoring the rest of the article. It's not absolving Dak, but spreading the blame and as it should. When an offense is struggling as mightily as this one it's rarely because of one reason, but many fans just want to be able to single a single point to heap all the blame on.

"The All-22 doesn’t absolve blame but rather points it in the right direction. For instance, many of the routes themselves lack decent jukes or even wiggle."

"Secondly, the play design and timing doesn’t seem to be doing the WRs any favors. Alternating WR break points through Prescott’s progressions should be in the play design. Instead, multiple players are breaking open simultaneously, so if Prescott isn’t watching that specific player at the time of the break, he’s missed his window of opportunity."

"Finally, McCarthy can do things the old-fashioned way and create separation through bunch formations and rub routes." The stats in the tweet bear this out, showing our rank in plays that would help our WRs and offense in general.

"Pass protection is an issue for the Cowboys..."

"The rest is really on Prescott with his progressions and the coaching staff for building workable plays."

Watching the games, there is nothing in that article that is not true, the whole offense is struggling not just Dak. Watching other teams/games it really brings this out, sure other QBs are making tight window throws, but I also see WRs running free much more often too. It's a lot easier to make those throws and get YAC and big plays.

The reality is it's not just Dak, the offense is struggling on multiple levels, including the run game.

Aven8

Reaction score
When you can’t run the ball playing the pass gets a heck of a lot easier

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
What are you talking about? It's on the site you don't know how to read.
  • Average Targeted Air Yards (TAY)The average passing air yards per target for the receiver, by measuring the yards downfield at the time of all passing attempts that the receiver is the target. This stat indicates how far down the field they are being targeted on average.
The literally clarify when they are using a targeted player.

This board is myopic and outdated. It is old guys who don't like how much players make, regardless of the tangible impact on the cap, and refuse to acknowledge actual data and "fancy stats" because it undermines everything you think you know. You're all exactly the same, and think exactly the same way Jerry does but constantly whine about him lol.
What on earth does average targeted air yards have to do have to do with this discussion?

Furthermore, it specifies "all passing attempts that the receiver is the target". Let me say that again. That the receiver is the target. Thanks for proving my point.

Very clearly one of us can't read.