CW: Through Week 3, Cowboys WRs rank among worst in separation

Brax

Reaction score
Not reading this.

You have no credibility because your entire belief system is "My eye test is right and the numbers are wrong."
Metrics are great if you understand how they work and what they are used for, you don’t even know what the metric is and the OP doesn’t know what it means. That’s your problem and lack of knowledge so what do you do instead of actually admitting your wrong no you make up something I never said and that’s really sad. Understand what is being discussed before jumping in because you think it means something doesn’t make it so. Sorry for your ignorance on what the metric means and how to use it.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Why don't you act like a grown up and simply go follow another team? Dak isn't going anywhere. This is Jerry's company and he's made it clear he wants Dak to continue to lead it for another 5 seasons.
Why does he have to find a new team because you disagree with him? Why don't you ignore him instead?

Beginning to think you get some sort of endorphin rush out of telling people to find a new team since you use that phrase so often.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why does he have to find a new team because you disagree with him? Why don't you ignore him instead?

Beginning to think you get some sort of endorphin rush out of telling people to find a new team since you use that phrase so often.
This thread is about the receivers. He came in here to blame everything on Dak. This has nothing to do with Dak. You are here for the same reason.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Metrics are great if you understand how they work and what they are used for, you don’t even know what the metric is and the OP doesn’t know what it means. That’s your problem and lack of knowledge so what do you do instead of actually admitting your wrong no you make up something I never said and that’s really sad. Understand what is being discussed before jumping in because you think it means something doesn’t make it so. Sorry for your ignorance on what the metric means and how to use it.
I know exactly what it is. It tracks every player on every snap. It is computer tracking with no human element.

You don't like it, because it doesn't agree with your point.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It doesn't mean they are targeted

From the NGS site:​

What is Next Generation Stats?​

NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches.​

Good try, good hustle, good effort.
So you're saying this broad overview of what NGS does as a whole invalidates the specific definition of the specific stat being discussed here?

Terrible try, no hustle, terrible effort.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So you're saying this broad overview of what NGS does as a whole invalidates the specific definition of the specific stat being discussed here?

Terrible try, no hustle, terrible effort.
Yes, because the argument of "1.9 yards is open at target" is stupid because it's not what this is tracking.

Brax

Reaction score
I know exactly what it is. It tracks every player on every snap. It is computer tracking with no human element.

That’s not what it is, and that’s your problem please read what the metric is I posted the definition and someone else did also.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Why don't you act like a grown up and simply go follow another team? Dak isn't going anywhere. This is Jerry's company and he's made it clear he wants Dak to continue to lead it for another 5 seasons.
Well my friend, you are correct again, Dak will not be going anywhere for another chunk of our fandom lives.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yes, because the argument of "1.9 yards is open at target" is stupid because it's not what this is tracking.
Here, again, is exactly what it is tracking.

"Average Separation (SEP)The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion."

You're getting lost in your own rabbit holes.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That’s not what it is, and that’s your problem please read what the metric is I posted the definition and someone else did also.
YES IT IS. I'll post it again, you're using half the definition. It does not matter if the player is targeted or not, it is tracking of every route.

NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches​
The imperfection is that it doesn't quite account for when DBs break off their coverage or really account for passing lanes that are blocked by zone coverage.

I'm sorry you're too lazy to actually go to the website, but it is right there in black and white.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Here, again, is exactly what it is tracking.

"Average Separation (SEP)The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion."

You're getting lost in your own rabbit holes.
It doesn't mean that the player was targeted, that is just the point in time the separation is measured. If a player runs a 9 and a screen is thrown, the 9 route is still tracked and recorded.

This isn't hard.

Brax

Reaction score

“The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion”
See you don’t understand the metric it’s absolutely not what you say it is, you are just arguing sadly because you don’t know what you are talking about. I can’t do anything else to help you because you simply won’t admit you have been wrong since your first response, hopefully you’ll finally understand what it actually means

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
“The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion”
See you don’t understand the metric it’s absolutely not what you say it is, you are just arguing sadly because you don’t know what you are talking about. I can’t do anything else to help you because you simply won’t admit you have been wrong since your first response, hopefully you’ll finally understand what it actually means
It doesn't mean the player is targeted lol. It is a point in time.

Again:

NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches

It measures and tracks every player and every play, and separation is recorded regardless of who is targeted.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It doesn't mean that the player was targeted, that is just the point in time the separation is measured. If a player runs a 9 and a screen is thrown, the 9 route is still tracked and recorded.

This isn't hard.
You're going to have to back this up with some evidence. I'm calling BS.

Even if true, it would much of the time water down the data to make it meaningless. Especially on the screen you for some reason thought was a good idea to use as an example.

Brax

Reaction score
YES IT IS. I'll post it again, you're using half the definition. It does not matter if the player is targeted or not, it is tracking of every route.

NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches​
The imperfection is that it doesn't quite account for when DBs break off their coverage or really account for passing lanes that are blocked by zone coverage.

I'm sorry you're too lazy to actually go to the website, but it is right there in black and white.
You really can’t be this dense, I posted the actual definition of the metric meaning of the OP I’m I can’t help stupid

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You really can’t be this dense, I posted the actual definition of the metric meaning of the OP I’m I can’t help stupid
Buddy those definitions are pulled from the exact same website. They work in tandem. You're using half the definition.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/glossary

It is a measure of separation for every player at the time of incompletion or catch. It does not matter who is targeted.

Brax

Reaction score

Even if true, it would much of the time water down the data to make it meaningless. Especially on the screen you for some reason thought was a good idea to use as an example.
He just doesn’t get it I give up he missed the actual way the metric is defined even after I posted it for him.
Somehow he just doesn’t get it

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

What evidence? It is literally right on the NGS site. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/glossary

There is nothing to water down. It is computer-generated numbers. There is no human element and the playcall or target does not matter.

Brax

Reaction score
Buddy those definitions are pulled from the exact same website. They work in tandem. You're using half the definition.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/glossary

It is a measure of separation for every player at the time of incompletion or catch. It does not matter who is targeted.
No only the player receiving or missed the catch believe what ever you like there is also a team metric that is what you say and the Cowboys are average to the league the OP post is individual to the wr targeted only