Twitter: D-Law, Gregory, Gallimore - 3-4 weeks out per Stephen Jones

Plankton

Reaction score
Sorry but everything I’m reading says they can’t just cut an injured player outright. If you have something that proves otherwise I’d love to read it.

The Patriots did it with Julian Edelman this offseason. He failed his physical, and was outright released. He ended up retiring.

Plankton

Reaction score
“teams are not allowed to just cut a player who is injured. They must come to a settlement with them. “

This is not true after a season has ended. If a player doesn't have an injury guarantee in his contract, and he can't pass a physical prior to camp, he can be released. The Patriots did it with Julian Edelman this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not true after a season has ended. If a player doesn't have an injury guarantee in his contract, and he can't pass a physical prior to camp, he can be released. The Patriots did it with Julian Edelman this year.

Again I’ll need to see some proof of that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

On Monday, Edelman announced his retirement from the game of football after 12 NFL seasons. The news came after the Patriots terminated Edelman’s contract with a failed physical designation. According to ESPN, by having his contract terminated in such fashion, Edelman is eligible for an injury protection benefit and can collect up to $2 million.

https://amp.providencejournal.com/amp/7195258002

Plankton

Reaction score
Again I’ll need to see some proof of that.

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/...e-three-time-super-bowl-winning-wide-receiver

Three-time Super Bowl-winning wide receiver Julian Edelman has announced his retirement after being released by the New England Patriots.

Edelman was released after 12 years with the team, due to a failed physical. Last week, it was reported his knee issues - that hampered him in the 2020 season - would prevent him from being fully healthy heading into 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Note that the only money on the Patriots cap for Edelman this year is his remaining unamortized signing bonus. His base salary is not there because they weren't on the hook to pay it - because he failed his physical and was released.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/...e-three-time-super-bowl-winning-wide-receiver

Three-time Super Bowl-winning wide receiver Julian Edelman has announced his retirement after being released by the New England Patriots.

Edelman was released after 12 years with the team, due to a failed physical. Last week, it was reported his knee issues - that hampered him in the 2020 season - would prevent him from being fully healthy heading into 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Note that the only money on the Patriots cap for Edelman this year is his remaining unamortized signing bonus. His base salary is not there because they weren't on the hook to pay it - because he failed his physical and was released.

See my post above.

Plankton

Reaction score
See my post above.

It's not showing up in the cap allocation for the Patriots. If what ESPN is alleging is true, it should show up in Spotrac. It's not there.

EDIT: I found what ESPN is referencing. It's Article 45 of the CBA, covering Injury Protections. It indicates that a player can claim 100% of their salary (capped at $2M) if they are released: failed physical. To satisfy this, four conditions have to be met:

1. The player missed either part of, or the entire, final game of his previous season due to “a severe football injury” OR underwent team-authorized surgery in the offseason.

2. The player went through “reasonable and customary” rehabilitation treatment as required by the team.

3. The player fails a physical on or before August 1 following the season of injury. Note that there is strong language in this Article that requires the team to administer a physical exam to determine benefit eligibility if it is called for. It is not optional.

4. The player does not sign a new contract with a new club in the year following the injury.

If Lawrence were to sign with another team at any point in 2022, he wouldn't get another dime from the Cowboys.

I stand corrected, but 2M would certainly not be prohibitive to release him if they were so inclined.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not showing up in the cap allocation for the Patriots. If what ESPN is alleging is true, it should show up in Spotrac. It's not there.

EDIT: I found what ESPN is referencing. It's Article 45 of the CBA, covering Injury Protections. It indicates that a player can claim 100% of their salary (capped at $2M) if they are released: failed physical. To satisfy this, four conditions have to be met:

1. The player missed either part of, or the entire, final game of his previous season due to “a severe football injury” OR underwent team-authorized surgery in the offseason.

2. The player went through “reasonable and customary” rehabilitation treatment as required by the team.

3. The player fails a physical on or before August 1 following the season of injury. Note that there is strong language in this Article that requires the team to administer a physical exam to determine benefit eligibility if it is called for. It is not optional.

4. The player does not sign a new contract with a new club in the year following the injury.

If Lawrence were to sign with another team at any point in 2022, he wouldn't get another dime from the Cowboys.

I stand corrected, but 2M would certainly not be prohibitive to release him if they were so inclined.

Fair enough. Like I said, this stuff is hard to find the straight information.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
That’s going to hurt our chances at the 1 seed but we’ll get a first round home game and I think our shot at the 2 seed is solid. We need the Packers to lose their next two games for me to favor us for the 1 seed.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
DLaw is not worth 5 million a year considering his decline in production and injuries. The defense is not missing him at all. I hope Jerry recognizes this and finds a way to get rid of him and his contract.

This is not true.........he's our best run defender