Video: Dak’s contract will cripple the Cowboys

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To your point, I'll ask the question again: How was Dallas able to put together the most stacked roster, according to many, around Dak Prescott in 2016 with Romo's massive deal on the books? Dallas was paying franchise QB money to Romo yet was able to produce a championship roster in 2016 -- a complete contradiction per those that hold the opinion you cannot pay franchise QB money and have roster capable of competing.

I was told by one fan in that thread from 2013 that there was no way the Cowboys would be able to get Romo re-signed under the cap. There’s all kinds of ways teams can massage the cap to get players under. The big key to putting together a strong roster is drafting well. DeMarco Murray was a third round pick and developed into a very good player for us. However we did have to make a tough decision with Demarcus Ware which did hurt our pass rush in 2014. That showed up big in the playoff loss to Green Bay.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Regardless of how often you deny it, 2+2 =4. All you have to do is the math. I already did it for you in the other thread.
No you didn’t. You have no fricken idea what the salary cap will be next year or the next. So your “math” is just speculation and meant to fool the ignorant.

Flamma

Reaction score
No you didn’t. You have no fricken idea what the salary cap will be next year or the next. So your “math” is just speculation and meant to fool the ignorant.

Lets see if I have no idea. Again, this is not high education stuff. A common 10 year old can do this.

2015 - 143M
2016 - 155M
2017 - 167M
2018 - 177M
2019 - 188M
2020 - 198M

Anyone want to take a wild guess at 2021? I can tell you what it probably won't be. It won't be 220M followed by 246M in 2022.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jim Plunkett was the number one overall pick who got stuck on one of the worst teams ever. He was able to win a couple of Super Bowls with some talented Raiders teams that could play defense. Jeff Hoerster was an average QB who won a SB because he played for a Giants team that had a great defense and a great HC/DC. He didn’t have to do anything special just don’t screw anything up and allow the Giants great defense led by Lawrence Taylor to shut teams down. As Kaepernick his style of play through teams off when he burst onto the scene in 2012 and is another QB who benefited from having a really good defense. San Francisco had the number two ranked defense when he led them to the Super Bowl in 2012. He never threw for more than 21 TDs in a season. Go check out his career numbers. He was nothing but a flash in the pan.

Do you actually believe the Cowboys could get anywhere with a QB like that with their defense? LOL As for Joe Flacco he was a solid QB for years and had an unbelievable playoff run in 2012 when he led Baltimore to a championship. He also benefitted from a terrific defense. When’s the last time you can remember the Cowboys fielding a great team with a great defense around their QB? As for Nick Foles he played LIGHTS OUT in the SB winning SB MVP and you’re claiming he didn’t do anything special? :laugh:He played like a first ballot Hall of Famer QB in that SB. Anything less than the performance he had and Philly would have lost that game. There’s been very few real average QBs lead their teams to championships and the ones that did either played great SBs or were carried to championships with great defenses. If your blueprint for building a great team is building a great team and defense around an average QB on a low salary.....good luck!

Jim Plunket was the backup QB on both Raiders teams that won the SB. One of them a wildcard team. The 2012 Ravens team gave up around 350 points. Not exactly a legendary defense. As far as Foles goes, he plays well given the right circumstances. He played good throughout the playoffs. I've seen him throw 7 TD passes against the Raiders once. I've also seen him suck too.

Rypien wasn't exactly the greatest QB. Neither was Brady back in 2001. I didn't even think that team would get past the Raiders. Jared Goff, what was so special about that Rams team?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jim Plunket was the backup QB on both Raiders teams that won the SB. One of them a wildcard team. The 2012 Ravens team gave up around 350 points. Not exactly a legendary defense. As far as Foles goes, he plays well given the right circumstances. He played good throughout the playoffs. I've seen him throw 7 TD passes against the Raiders once. I've also seen him suck too.

Rypien wasn't exactly the greatest QB. Neither was Brady back in 2001. I didn't even think that team would get past the Raiders. Jared Goff, what was so special about that Rams team?

Plunket was the backup to Dan Pastorini in 1980 until Pastorini was injured. Plunket became the starter and remained the starter after that. The Ravens defense stopped San Francisco from scoring in the final seconds of the SB and Flacco played an outstanding SB being named SB MVP. If you want to waste your time cherry picking the few average QBs that won Super Bowls over the decades feel free. If you want to put your money on the Cowboys doing the same by winning a SB with an average QB putting up a SB MVP performance or being carried by a great defense dream on! Put an average QB on this Cowboys team with the average defenses they have year after year that consistently fold in Dec and Jan, the team will be picking in the top 10 every year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plunket was the backup to Dan Pastorini in 1980 until Pastorini was injured. Plunket became the starter and remained the starter after that. The Ravens defense stopped San Francisco from scoring in the final seconds of the SB and Flacco played an outstanding SB being named SB MVP. If you want to waste your time cherry picking the few average QBs that won Super Bowls over the decades feel free. If you want to put your money on the Cowboys doing the same by winning a SB with an average QB putting up a SB MVP performance dream on! Put an average QB on this Cowboys team with the average defenses they gave year after year that consistently fold in Dec and Jan, the team we’ll be picking in the top 10 every year.

We have an average QB starting for us and we struggle to reach .500 the last 3 years.
We find ourselves trading a no 1 pick during the season for a WR as our QB was unable to produce.
Our defense has been a top 10 in the last 3 seasons.
Find the weak link....you won't have to look far he's the player wearing #4.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
QBs on rookie deals and vets taking discounts are winning championships.

What other vets taking discounts won besides Brady?

If dak is as bad as this guy thinks, then money is not the problem. Dallas should just cut him and move on.

I haven't seen the video but I've shared that sentiment with people who are fine paying $30 million a year (or even $33.5) but think $35 million a year will doom the franchise for ten years.

Last edited:

black label

Reaction score
We have an average QB starting for us and we struggle to reach .500 the last 3 years.
We find ourselves trading a no 1 pick during the season for a WR as our QB was unable to produce.
It's so sad, but it's the truth

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Please.. Do not compare Dak to a truly elite player.

Brees is a prolific thrower of the football.

Dak is a low risk build my percentages kind of guy.
How can you say statements like this with nothing to back it up? Literally all the evidence shows the contrary. You sound silly and ignorant. His ypa was one of the highest in the league, he’s top 5 in completions over 20 yards, he’s one of the leaders in air yards, etc

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's so sad, but it's the truth
Yes as much as some here refuse to acknowledge the TRUTH and makeup fantasy scenarios and excuses galore why our franchise is a .500 team.
We await a new beginning and the way Daks contract situation is playing out there is hope we will have one!

black label

Reaction score
Yes as much as some here refuse to acknowledge the TRUTH and makeup fantasy scenarios and excuses galore why our franchise is a .500 team.
We await a new beginning and the way Daks contract situation is playing out there is hope we will have one!
I hope so man, I think Jerry will make the same mistake in the end though. He's just so good at it

Playmaker247

Reaction score
No, I've watched Dak play. Mechanics just arent good enough and after 4 years of starting, the steep learning curve has past - any improvement will only be marginal. Dalton's mechanics are much better, but he seems to be in decline. Much of a much between them.
People will literally say anything on this site.....

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope so man, I think Jerry will make the same mistake in the end though. He's just so good at it

My hope rests with Big Mike and Stephen.
Another major factor is that with the contracts they have paid out (Coop-Zeke..etc) they simply cannot afford a top QB contract and excel on the field at the same time.
Dalton just might end up being our Plunkett.

ghst187

Reaction score
It will only cripple us if Dak is bad and we draft poorly. I don’t remember anyone talking the same points about Wilson’s contract.
I still feel like this metaphorical “cap hell” is a desert mirage....everyone says they see it, but its almost never real. Besides, how many top shelf FAs do we typically sign? We are dollar bin buyers in FA anyway.
I also think winning in the NFL is different than what everyone thinks it is....
QBing and coaching seem to be to football what pitching is to baseball. You can have a great team top to bottom but without a very strong QB and coaching...you’re short...see Baltimore, Tenn, and SanFran this season. Also, say you spend all this “extra” money you saved by going cheap at QB to build your defense and skill positions...how long does that last? A season or two before everyone starts poaching your FAs....
I’m fine with paying Dak a big’ish salary IF he plays well and keeps improving. Besides the fact I think he’s pretty good, arguable I know on this board, I don’t think there are any other reasonable options. The only acceptable alternative IMO would be to let him play on the franchise and then trade all our picks to get Lawrence in the draft, although I don’t think a team will pass on drafting him. Of course, in that scenario, lot of folks here that complain about Daks contract would complain that we spent all our draft picks...like pulling a probowl QB out of the sixth round or UDFA is that easy...

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Yeah.. I do minimize it.

Special teams is something coaches try their best to act like it’s important but spend very little time and resources in trying to improve.

It’s like the NFL coach that wants to preach the importance of running the ball to me in 2020 and the part of our fan base that can’t wrap their brain around the idea that it’s not 90s football being played anymore.
Only you would try to ignore one of worst special team units in the history of the NFL. I guess having the worst starting field position in the league and missing field goal after field goal has no impact on winning. Make it make sense. I get it, you don’t want to pay Dak but stop making yourself sound silly with these ridiculous arguments. I would love to hear you come up with a valid argument with some proof explaining why Dak is average. But I’m guessing it won’t happen because all the proof says he’s much better than that and you even know that so that’s why you’ll probably say something like “8-8” and “I watch the games” because you know you can’t articulate a real argument for Dak being average.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only you would try to ignore one of worst special team units in the history of the NFL. I guess having the worst starting field position in the league and missing field goal after field goal has no impact on winning. Make it make sense. I get it, you don’t want to pay Dak but stop making yourself sound silly with these ridiculous arguments. I would love to hear you come up with a valid argument with some proof explaining why Dak is average. But I’m guessing it won’t happen because all the proof says he’s much better than that and you even know that so that’s why you’ll probably say something like “8-8” and “I watch the games” because you know you can’t articulate a real argument for Dak being average.

Special teams are the core of any great football team.:rolleyes:
Who needs an offense or defense when the special teams are rocking baby!!!:omg:
I also heard that our waterboys are last in the league and we dare to blame Dak???
And the cheerleaders have slacked off ....what is going on?:lmao:
How can we expect to beat winning teams....jeez....:thumbdown:

Flamma

Reaction score
Plunket was the backup to Dan Pastorini in 1980 until Pastorini was injured. Plunket became the starter and remained the starter after that. The Ravens defense stopped San Francisco from scoring in the final seconds of the SB and Flacco played an outstanding SB being named SB MVP. If you want to waste your time cherry picking the few average QBs that won Super Bowls over the decades feel free. If you want to put your money on the Cowboys doing the same by winning a SB with an average QB putting up a SB MVP performance or being carried by a great defense dream on! Put an average QB on this Cowboys team with the average defenses they have year after year that consistently fold in Dec and Jan, the team will be picking in the top 10 every year.

I don't think we have an average defense, just a vanilla scheme. Which is why we don't get turnovers. And if we did have an average defense there no way Dak is making up for it. There is no way on this God's green earth is the difference between getting to a SB and not getting to a SB because Dallas starts Dak over Dalton. Both of these QBs are going to need a lot of help. A good gameplan and good coaching got Jared Goff to a SB.

The only problem I see is finding a long term solution if Dallas dumps Dak. It can be done. It's just risky. The only way I would consider keeping Dak is if he took like an 8 year deal at 30 Mil per. But of course he would refuse it. Let that sink in. Our starting quarterback would refuse 240 million dollars. And forget guaranteed money with QBs. If they play well they are kept.