Dak 1 yard short of tying Romo's single season franchise passing record; 2 yards shy of rec

BoysForLife

Reaction score
more to the point, Put Dak on that 12 team with no reliable running game, a shaky offensive line with a bad interior and see how that works out.....on the flip side of that Give romo this line and running game along with that group of wr.

Just throwing the numbers doesn't really mean much. The Opposing teams in 2012 game planned to stop Romo and Dez, Romo and Witten. The game plans for this current team are to stop the running game and make the qb beat them. There is a severe difference.

Exactly right--
The interior of the 2012 Cowboys O line--
Ryan Cook at center.
Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau at guards.

That was the starters in 2012.
HEll, the backups in 2019 are better than the 2012 starters. Looney is a darn good backup.

Cook went from starting for the Dallas the entire 2012 season (his only season in Dallas), to out of the league at age 29 and never played again. Livings also played one season in Dallas in 2012 and was out of the league at age 30, never played a down again. 2012 was Bernadeau's first of 3 seasons in Dallas and I will concede he was a serviceable backup his last couple years.

But think about that--in 2012--the interior of the Cowboys line consisted of 3 brand new guys playing their first year in Dallas, 2 of which were out of the league after 2012 and never played another down of professional football.

And this year, people like the OP in this thread were using the O line as an excuse for Dak's poor play. What a frigging joke.

romonumberone

Reaction score
Without Romo the team went 4-12 in 2015. I think Romo was responsible for 2 or 3 of those wins before he was injured twice? I want to say without Romo they went like 1-11. Dak takes a team with all pro's all across the office and goes 8-8..... BIG difference. Romo elevated the team to 8-8. Dak drags a team down to 8-8. If Cooper Rush was playing the whole season Dallas still goes 8-8.

Dallas went 3-7 outside of their division this year. They could have done that with Rush. The Commanders were playing guys off the street. They were 13-15 deep at DB. Their first 12 guys were all injured. How does the experts on the Cowboys Break say Commanders will win or maybe Dallas will win a close low scoring squeaker. They should get smarter people on those shows.

I don't hate Dak..... But I probably will hate his contract. LOL.

dfense

Reaction score
Dak Prescott finished the 2019 season passing for 4,902 yards, just 1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's 2012 single season franchise passing record of 4,903 yards.

Dak was only allowed to pass 1 more time (a 1 yard sideline dump to Tavon Austin) after 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The rest of the offensive plays were strictly running plays. Coincidence? I doubt it. Someone must have known Dak needed 1 more passing yard to tie Romo's 2012 franchise single season passing record, and a mere 2 passing yards shy of Dak breaking it.

It is shameful Dak was only allowed to pass the ball 1 time within the last 9 minutes of the game. He deserved a better opportunity to break the franchise single season passing record. He earned that opportunity this year.
Not really, chasing records is for losers. And that's about as close to any of Romo's records as Dak will ever get.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not really, chasing records is for losers. And that's about as close to any of Romo's records as Dak will ever get.
Chasing records is an extra motivational factor for any star player and his team, so you're actually quite wrong. Get ready because Dak is going to stay here for many years and continue to shatter Romo's records. It's already happening.

EST_1986

Reaction score
its not even a meaningless NFL record its a Dallas Cowboys record, even more meaningless..

were 8-8, who gives a **** about individual team records?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Not bad for a QB that the idiots on this board told us would never be the passer that Romo was. In Dak's 4th season, he matched Romo's BEST season ever. Given that Romo is apparently a God to some...and that Dak is a terrible QB to these same idiots...that has got to hurt.

Not bad at all.

Oh, and his contract price in fact went up. Should have signed to a Goff/Wentz contract this off season. Now it will cost the Cowboys a cool $30 million plus.
Uh...those "idiots" were right. And 2012 was one of Romo's worst seasons. Probably his worst actually.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
Not bad for a QB that the idiots on this board told us would never be the passer that Romo was. In Dak's 4th season, he matched Romo's BEST season ever. Given that Romo is apparently a God to some...and that Dak is a terrible QB to these same idiots...that has got to hurt.

Not bad at all.

Oh, and his contract price in fact went up. Should have signed to a Goff/Wentz contract this off season. Now it will cost the Cowboys a cool $30 million plus.

Amazing, if any one of those 388 completions had just produced 2 measly yards he would own the all-time record. So darn close.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott finished the 2019 season passing for 4,902 yards, just 1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's 2012 single season franchise passing record of 4,903 yards.

Dak was only allowed to pass 1 more time (a 1 yard sideline dump to Tavon Austin) after 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The rest of the offensive plays were strictly running plays. Coincidence? I doubt it. Someone must have known Dak needed 1 more passing yard to tie Romo's 2012 franchise single season passing record, and a mere 2 passing yards shy of Dak breaking it.

It is shameful Dak was only allowed to pass the ball 1 time within the last 9 minutes of the game. He deserved a better opportunity to break the franchise single season passing record. He earned that opportunity this year.

You are only counting the completion to Austin, but they actually passed twice to Austin to end that possession before kicking the FG. The second was incomplete. They also passed 5 total times in that possession. With Dak that close to the record, if the team knew about it, and the goal was to keep Dak from getting the record, why would they have passed at all?

That's especially true with the last two attempts where Dak was only 2 yards, and then 1 yard from the record. How could the goal have been to keep the record away from Dak if they were passing with only 2, and then 1 yard left?

The reason passing was limited on that possession is almost certainly because we had a huge lead and were running the ball to use up the clock, which they did successfully by eating up over 8 minutes. That was the goal. It's the same thing they did early in the season when we were getting big leads. On top of that, we were gaining yardage and getting first downs on the ground, so there was no need to risk stopping the clock or throwing an INT by passing. Getting turnovers with time on the clock was the only chance the Skins had at that point, so it made sense for the Cowboys to minimize the risk.

My best guess is the team wasn't tracking the record closely enough to realize.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You are only counting the completion to Austin, but they actually passed twice to Austin to end that possession before kicking the FG. The second was incomplete. They also passed 5 total times in that possession. With Dak that close to the record, if the team knew about it, and the goal was to keep Dak from passing the record, why would they have passed at all?

That's especially true with the last two attempts where Dak was only 2 yards, and then 1 yard from the record. How could the goal have been to keep the record away from Dak if they were passing with only 2, and then 1 yard left?

The reason passing was limited on that possession is almost certainly because we had a huge lead and were running the ball to use up the clock, which they did successfully by eating up over 8 minutes. That was the goal. It's the same thing they did early in the season when we were getting big leads. On top of that, we were gaining yardage and getting first downs on the ground, so there was no need to risk stopping the clock or throwing an INT by passing. Getting turnovers was the only chance the Skins had at that point, so it makes sense to minimize the risk.

My best guess is the team wasn't tracking the record closely enough to realize.
Thanks for this explanation @OmerV . It makes sense.

What I didn't mention in my opening statement is that my local FOX station kept going dark screen for long periods of time during the 2nd half, so I went off of what little I was able to view. This is what made me "assume". I was wrong for that, especially now that you put everything in context and full explanation.

My apologies but thank you once again.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

That's a silly conspiracy theory.........BTW, he was shy by one yard?...With the receiving corps he has? That doesn't seem like something to brag about.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for this explanation @OmerV . It makes sense.

What I didn't mention in my opening statement is that my local FOX station kept going dark screen for long periods of time during the 2nd half, so I went off of what little I was able to view. This is what made me "assume". I was wrong for that, especially now that you put everything in context and full explanation.

My apologies but thank you once again.
I get where you are coming from. Even though I understood why they were doing what they were, I was still frustrated because I felt they could have strayed from doing the right/smart thing a little more to ensure Dak got the record. That's why I wondered if they were really even aware of just how close he was to the record.

I actually think Austin unwittingly screwed Dak out of the record because on that last reception it appeared if he had just driven upfield he could have got 3-4 yards, but we needed 9 for the 1st down, and he danced around looking for more of a running lane, and the 3-4 yard opportunity closed up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its not even a meaningless NFL record its a Dallas Cowboys record, even more meaningless..

were 8-8, who gives a **** about individual team records?
Like Troy said during the broadcast, it probably wouldn't mean much to Dak at that point, but it would mean something to him when he is retired like Troy is an looking back at his career.