Dak 1 yard short of tying Romo's single season franchise passing record; 2 yards shy of rec

nobody

Reaction score
This game was already won by the end of the 1st half. Should have let Dak go for the franchise single season passing record and try to reach 5K passing yards.

Did Dak ask for that? Because if he did and they said no, I'd understand frustration. Perhaps he didn't even care. I don't care, just as I didn't care about Romo's record then. It didn't help the team in any way.

Some players don't care about team records. If Dak is the QB you think he is, the opportunity will come again. He'll either get it or he won't. Doesn't matter to me. I just want the Cowboys to win.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
LOL. Uhhh, no. Absolutely not. You saw what happened to Romo not too long ago, and that's because Romo was arguably one of the best pocket scramblers.
Romo was frail. He was warned by Parcells he would be a snack for defenses if he didn’t get rid of the ball and Parcells was right. Romo’s bones were always cracking, particularly his ribs. He seemingly always had broken ribs. Put Romo on that hard AstroTurf for his career with defenders able to blast you after throwing the ball and he would last half as long as he did.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
yeah, but you don't remember that Romo was good and elusive before the O-line went bad..and he took those vicious repeated hits and that's what killed his health. Of course he wouldn't survive now. Dak will have that problem too if it's not corrected fast.
It has nothing to do with wanting the best passer in the league. He shouldn't be throwing behind receivers all the time in his 4th year! Even other team's backups don't do that all of the time. Dak is a great leader. He's got great legs. He's an adequate passer that's good enough most of the time. His defense reading still needs some work and he's not being served well by this playbook. How well did his passing look against teams with winning records? How well did it look against the Eagles when it REALLY mattered? It didn't look good enough. He contributed to key losses. He caused no losses, but he contributed. Just like Romo did.

So keep trying to change the narrative to say whatever you want, but what I just said is true. Dak has earned criticism at times, like Romo did. Dak has earned the doubts and should be tagged. Let the new HC determine what HE needs in a QB. My guess is that it will be Dak.

Now quit assuming that ANY criticism of Dak means hatred of him and that people want him gone. I've defended Dak since day 1. I still believe in him but have questions that HE put there.
Dak throwing behind receivers all the time? Garbage talk. I wish YouTube had not taken that 3 year window video of Romo's supposed prime years off...just so I could prove you wrong.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo was frail. He was warned by Parcells he would be a snack for defenses if he didn’t get rid of the ball and Parcells was right. Romo’s bones were always cracking, particularly his ribs. He seemingly always had broken ribs.
Exactly my point and why I support Dak because you're not going to find another strong boned, mobile but good passing QB like him. This type is very hard to find.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
scrambles., where was Troy's such great accuracy his first 2 years and his last 4?

:popcorn:

Went to Aikman's first game in NO his first year... he ran for his life the first two years...

When things were shored up and he had time, he was amazingly accurate...

trickblue

Reaction score
Over our entire history, it's absolutely amazing how many people thing Staubach, Aikman, Romo and Dak are overrated...

Sheer lunacy...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Went to Aikman's first game in NO his first year... he ran for his life the first two years...

When things were shored up and he had time, he was amazingly accurate...
Agreed, plus he had the best WR in franchise history and a group of other WRs and TEs that was pretty darn good. Once Troy lost them, he struggled his last 4 years. Now compare it to Dak. That's the point I'm trying to make.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
yeah, but you don't remember that Romo was good and elusive before the O-line went bad..and he took those vicious repeated hits and that's what killed his health. Of course he wouldn't survive now. Dak will have that problem too if it's not corrected fast.
It has nothing to do with wanting the best passer in the league. He shouldn't be throwing behind receivers all the time in his 4th year! Even other team's backups don't do that all of the time. Dak is a great leader. He's got great legs. He's an adequate passer that's good enough most of the time. His defense reading still needs some work and he's not being served well by this playbook. How well did his passing look against teams with winning records? How well did it look against the Eagles when it REALLY mattered? It didn't look good enough. He contributed to key losses. He caused no losses, but he contributed. Just like Romo did.

So keep trying to change the narrative to say whatever you want, but what I just said is true. Dak has earned criticism at times, like Romo did. Dak has earned the doubts and should be tagged. Let the new HC determine what HE needs in a QB. My guess is that it will be Dak.

Now quit assuming that ANY criticism of Dak means hatred of him and that people want him gone. I've defended Dak since day 1. I still believe in him but have questions that HE put there.
Uhhh, hello!?!? Dak played with a torn shoulder and hair line fractured index finger against the Eagles. It's understandable why some of his passes were off. How about the majority that were on target but dropped by our receivers?

trickblue

Reaction score
Agreed, plus he had the best WR in franchise history and a group of other WRs and TEs that was pretty darn good. Once Troy lost them, he struggled his last 4 years. Now compare it to Dak. That's the point I'm trying to make.

We had Irvin... his injury first year was the best thing that ever happened to us. I hated the selection out of Miami because he was a body catcher. He learned to catch with his hands during that time. Novacek was a great Plan B signee as he always killed us when he played for the Cards. Alvin Harper was so-so. Am I missing anyone?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We had Irvin... his injury first year was the best thing that ever happened to us. I hated the selection out of Miami because he was a body catcher. He learned to catch with his hands during that time. Novacek was a great Plan B signee as he always killed us when he played for the Cards. Alvin Harper was so-so. Am I missing anyone?
Kelvin Martin
Alexander Wright
Kevin Williams

All speedy receivers who helped spread opposing defenses open, thus allowing Irvin, Harper, Novacek and Smith to do damage underneath.

nobody

Reaction score
Uhhh, hello!?!? Dak played with a torn shoulder and hair line fractured index finger against the Eagles. It's understandable why some of his passes were off. How about the majority that were on target but dropped by our receivers?

That's what backup QB's are for... And Romo played with a punctured lung and WON. So no, if he was that injured, he shouldn't have been in the game when it mattered. About about some of the other losses that would would have helped the team? No, Dak contributed to losses, as he contributed to wins. If Dak was that injured, then he was selfish to be in the game.

trickblue

Reaction score
Kelvin Martin
Alexander Wright
Kevin Williams

All speedy receivers who helped spread opposing defenses open, thus allowing Irvin, Harper, Novacek and Smith to do damage underneath.

Martin was fairly solid... Wright was never healthy...

Williams best year was 38 receptions... but he was a darn sold punt returner...

nobody

Reaction score
Dak throwing behind receivers all the time? Garbage talk. I wish YouTube had not taken that 3 year window video of Romo's supposed prime years off...just so I could prove you wrong.

Dude, Dak's been throwing behind receivers a LOT all of his career so far....and he shouldn't be doing it in his 4th season. He can't throw them open well yet and he doesn't adjust for their speed it seems until the second half or 4th quarter. It's just fact. He kills YAC with throwing behind them because they have to slow down and twist around to catch them. Does he do it all of the time? No. He does it a lot though.

His accuracy has improved this year, and I think he can improve it more. He still has flaws he needs to work on. There's no quit in him and he's focused. What's funny is how personally you take ANY criticism of him. Honestly, I think several of his mistakes this year were the same ones Romo made and for the same reason.... he felt he had to carry too much of the team and so did too much. I think some of the team did slack off and made it feel that way to Dak...but the play-calling played a huge role in it.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The final question was regarding the Romo record of which he was a single yard short.

He said a few things about when he found out it but his final statement was a very clear, genuine, and succinct “... I didn’t make the playoffs, I don’t deserve to break the record.”

:clap::clap::clap:

That statement alone, is why Dak is not going to lead this team to squat. Be aggressive, get the record; honor Romo and prepare for next season. Do you think Romo would have done the same?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I wanted him to get it. Pissed he didn't. Sure, record means nothing. For now.

But, like Aikman said, When Prescott gets to be Aikman's age, he would like it. hahaa..

It was one bright spot for a QB that had a terrible go of it after since late November.

And, no, it wouldn't be leverage for Dak. He has none. Zero. Zip.

He will go into next season tagged or possibly not be here. As I have said, let the NEW HC decide. He's the one that has to coach.

khiladi

Reaction score
Not bad for a QB that the idiots on this board told us would never be the passer that Romo was. In Dak's 4th season, he matched Romo's BEST season ever. Given that Romo is apparently a God to some...and that Dak is a terrible QB to these same idiots...that has got to hurt.

Not bad at all.

Oh, and his contract price in fact went up. Should have signed to a Goff/Wentz contract this off season. Now it will cost the Cowboys a cool $30 million plus.

2012 was literally our worst offensive season ever, next to when Wade got fired. The media was constantly talking about how bad the offense and it actually began to spell the end of Garrett as a play caller. Dak in those conditions would last maybe two games. Dallas was BOTTOM of the league in play action usage and Dak absolutely sucks without it.

Were you paying attention or just looking at the stats?

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo’s best season was the one Garrett was completely removed from the equation and he had Frederick as his Center and Sean Lee was out the whole year, in 2014. He basically had complete control of the offense and threw for 34 TDs and only 9 INTs and was robbed in GB, when he was pretty much almost perfect in sub-zero temperatures in Lambeau.

Redline360

Reaction score
Like I said records mean nothing as this league has become quarterback friendly. Tons of records dropping lately.

1. If Dak had a set of balls he would have went for it
2. Dak should never be compared to Romo. Romo > Dak by a mile

dcstar

Reaction score
They could always go back and "look at the tape" and find yards.

This is how OJ Simpson ended up with 2000 yards in 1973...first to ever do so. Folks reviewed the game tape found something like 8 yards to push him over the top.

The NFL elite wanted it to be so...so it was.

Go Cowboys!