Dak and Garrett Reunited

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No disrespect to Garrett. People (including myself) give him a hard time but doubt many here could last even a year with that type of pressure.

But here is a QB Interview with his former Head Coach that inspires. That clip is all Dak. Not Dak’s fault he didn’t get a good coach until now.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No disrespect to Garrett. People (including myself) give him a hard time but doubt many here could last even a year with that type of pressure.

But here is a QB Interview with his former Head Coach that inspires. That clip is all Dak. Not Dak’s fault he didn’t get a good coach until now.

What type of pressure….he was gently given 9 years

cowboyed

Reaction score
Because Jerry’s ego has always been the Cowboys top priority.

Jerry’s ego

Business

Winning

In that order.

Jason Garrett was attached to Jerry’s ego and the franchise suffered for it.

It was clear as day when Wade Phillips was our coach that Jason Garrett had no business getting this kind of job.
When Jason Garrett left Miami and became our offensive coordinator it led to the Cowboys becoming the 2nd best offense in the NFL with a 13-3 record. The media built up Garrett as the next wonder boy. I totally understand why Jerry and Stephen pulled the trigger on making Garrett the head coach. Garrett had history with the Cowboys as a productive backup quarterback and his dad scouted for the Cowboys. Also the Ravens and Falcons had head coach offers on the table for Garrett who declined and wanted to be the head coach of the Cowboys.

Wade Phillips was a very good defensive coordinator and you could say he was effective as a stop gap or short term head coach. Wade deferred a lot to his coaching staff as Cowboys head coach and put most of his energy into building what he loved to do, the defense. How many offers from other teams did Wade Phillips get from other teams when he left the Cowboys?

In my opinion Jerry and Stephen weren't irrational rolling the head coach dice on Garrett. It was holding on to him as head coach for years longer than they should have. Garrett was too much of a process and scholarly head coach and surprisingly not very adaptable against elite competition. Once you start sounding like a broken record and not showing consistent post season game winning results you lose credibility not only from the players but also the coaching staff as well.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When Jason Garrett left Miami and became our offensive coordinator it led to the Cowboys becoming the 2nd best offense in the NFL with a 13-3 record. The media built up Garrett as the next wonder boy. I totally understand why Jerry and Stephen pulled the trigger on making Garrett the head coach. Garrett had history with the Cowboys as a productive backup quarterback and his dad scouted for the Cowboys. Also the Ravens and Falcons had head coach offers on the table for Garrett who declined and wanted to be the head coach of the Cowboys.

Wade Phillips was a very good defensive coordinator and you could say he was effective as a stop gap or short term head coach. Wade deferred a lot to his coaching staff as Cowboys head coach and put most of his energy into building what he loved to do, the defense. How many offers from other teams did Wade Phillips get from other teams when he left the Cowboys?

In my opinion Jerry and Stephen weren't irrational rolling the head coach dice on Garrett. It was holding on to him as head coach for years longer than they should have. Garrett was too much of a process and scholarly head coach and surprisingly not very adaptable against elite competition. Once you start sounding like a broken record and not showing consistent post season game winning results you lose credibility not only from the players but also the coaching staff as well.
Eh, I actually watched those games and “2nd best offense” is a fools gold stat.

The offense was Romo just slinging the ball around and buying time making plays.

The X’s and O’s of it all were pathetic.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Remember when Felix Jones was the hottest RB in football and Garrett couldn’t figure out how to get him the ball?

Then they made him gain a bunch of muscle and he turned into a average player..

Ah yes, the Garrett years.. Good times.

jmnichols75

Reaction score
I know you guys hate Garrett but I am happy to see he’s landed on his feet after that whole Giants debacle. He’s pretty good on NBC too. He got stuck with a tough task after Romo went down and probably had his best coaching effort of his career that year. Also had the balls to stick with Dak which was the right move.
Except it wasn't the right move. I'm gonna do my best to make everyone mad with this, but I think Garrett was nowhere near the disaster that people try portray him as here. In fact, I think he was a pretty good HC. it was time to move on by the time it happened, but he was much better than most seem wiling to give him credit for. But, the one decision of his that I disagreed with most was sticking with Dak after Romo got healthy.

Obviously, there is no way to know if it actually would have worked out better, or not, but I still feel like it was, mistake to not go back to your starter. That isn't a knock on Dak. He played well that year, especially for a rookie. It wasn't an example of gross incompetence to go with Dak, as there are arguments in support of having done so. But, it still felt like an error to leave Romo on the sidelines.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Except it wasn't the right move. I'm gonna do my best to make everyone mad with this, but I think Garrett was nowhere near the disaster that people try portray him as here. In fact, I think he was a pretty good HC. it was time to move on by the time it happened, but he was much better than most seem wiling to give him credit for. But, the one decision of his that I disagreed with most was sticking with Dak after Romo got healthy.

Obviously, there is no way to know if it actually would have worked out better, or not, but I still feel like it was, mistake to not go back to your starter. That isn't a knock on Dak. He played well that year, especially for a rookie. It wasn't an example of gross incompetence to go with Dak, as there are arguments in support of having done so. But, it still felt like an error to leave Romo on the sidelines.
I think Garrett as head coach not only went with the hot hand but went with what the locker room wanted. I Don't think the locker room liked Romo. Not that he was a scum bag or anything but i've heard current Seahawks players say the same thing about Russ. They just felt disconnected from Russ. And in part it was because of Pete Carroll. Now in this case I think it was because of Jerry. Jerry and even Garrett at times coddled Romo. They'd go to basketballl games together....people knock TO but there was some truth to what he was saying about Witten and Romo. Now i'm sure it wasn't as big of a deal as TO made it but that stuff matters to players. I saw Marshawn Lynch say he was upset that he didn't have Russell Wilsons phone number.

All pure speculation on my part. Could be wrong. But I do feel the reason why Garrett did it was because the team wanted it. Maybe even Stephen. Jerry would've never.

And we can argue about whether it was the right move or not...I personally think Dak played well enough to win the Packers game and it wasn't enough. History says Romo wasn't gonna win. He never had. Something was going to happen. Either he was going to choke it away or the defense wasn't going to get a stop and win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Remember when Felix Jones was the hottest RB in football and Garrett couldn’t figure out how to get him the ball?

Then they made him gain a bunch of muscle and he turned into a average player..

Ah yes, the Garrett years.. Good times.
I don't ever remember Felix being the hottest RB in football but I do remember him gaining weight which is typically what players do especially to be able to take more contact. I don't think they told Felix to gain weight and lose what made him good.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I'm sure Garrett says the same thing. He probably feels if they had drafted Aaron Rodgers he probably would've had much better success but got stuck with Antonio lol.
terrible comparison. Aaron Rodgers is a once in a generation talent. Jason Garrett was a mediocre at best head coach.

Romo was a good-to-great QB.

And to be frank, Rodgers under a JG led offense likely suffers similar fate as Romo

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
terrible comparison. Aaron Rodgers is a once in a generation talent. Jason Garrett was a mediocre at best head coach.

Romo was a good-to-great QB.

And to be frank, Rodgers under a JG led offense likely suffers similar fate as Romo
There's no comparison. The point was Garrett would've had more success with a better quarterback. All i'm saying is he didn't get Dan Marino. He got stuff with a undrafted quarterback from Eastern Illinois who played well and overachieved.

And Rodgers may have suffered. I can't go by what could've happened. All I can do is go by what happened and Romo either choked or couldn't compensation for his defense choking. Aaron Rodgers....well he had some success.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't ever remember Felix being the hottest RB in football but I do remember him gaining weight which is typically what players do especially to be able to take more contact. I don't think they told Felix to gain weight and lose what made him good.
His rookie year everytime he touched the ball he exploded for big plays.

Garrett just couldn’t figure out how to get him involved in the offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His rookie year everytime he touched the ball he exploded for big plays.

Garrett just couldn’t figure out how to get him involved in the offense.
I mean its a blur now but I don't remember running game being an issue for us. We had Barber and Felix.....and even Tashard Choice who we drafted the same year as Felix had a good run. We can blame a lot on Garrett but I never thought to blame Felix on him. To me that's like blaming Garrett for Miles Austin hammy issues.