Dak and Garrett Reunited

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
9.5 years…made the playoffs 3 times. The fact that he kept his job for all those years and only made the playoffs about 30% of the time is an indictment of our GM and the strange way he viewed Garrett.
I still to this day don't get the infatuation

cowboyed

Reaction score
9.5 years…made the playoffs 3 times. The fact that he kept his job for all those years and only made the playoffs about 30% of the time is an indictment of our GM and the strange way he viewed Garrett.
Garrett did achieve success in those 9.5 years, a few impressive winning regular seasons including Coach of the Year Status. However overall his tenure as head coach was inconsistent and his downfall was the lack of post season success. Garrett's rigid process belief mantra in the face of frequently falling short become comical. Jerry and Stephen's mindset back then was to be more patient with Garrett because they went through a run of short lived head coaches and Garrett unfairly benefited from that. Also holding on too long to a flawed head coach that in effect you have adopted into a close knit family run football franchise resulted in frequent failure repercussions.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Tough crowd. It's a freakin' interview, not a coaching hire. Let it go.
Let go that we wasted Romo with this moron and coach cupcake. What a sin. No other Gm would of gotten away with a tenth of what he has done.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I still to this day don't get the infatuation
Garrett started out hot as an offensive coordinator and became the talk in the media as upcoming head coach material. The Cowboys were not the only team interested in him.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Let go that we wasted Romo with this moron and coach cupcake. What a sin. No other Gm would of gotten away with a tenth of what he has done.
Jerry and Stephen also had a hand in this because they neglected shoring up the offensive line and parts of the defense because Romo rarely suffered from non-contact injuries. Romo was mercilessly hammered too often by opposing defenses and it cut his career short. Really pissed me off.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Because Jerry’s ego has always been the Cowboys top priority.

Jerry’s ego

Business

Winning

In that order.

Jason Garrett was attached to Jerry’s ego and the franchise suffered for it.

It was clear as day when Wade Phillips was our coach that Jason Garrett had no business getting this kind of job.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tough crowd. It's a freakin' interview, not a coaching hire. Let it go.

Absolutely not.

People till this day talk about how bad it was when Jerry fired Jimmy.

The worst thing Jerry Jones did was keep Garrett as his head coach for a decade.

It’s not even close imo. It trumps all of his bad decisions as Owner / GM.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You seen what happened with Dak. Romo was the better QB.
The same thing would’ve happened to Romo. He just could not lead this team. Maybe if it was a better team sure but he had plenty of chances to take to us even to a conference championship and showed he couldn’t.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
The same thing would’ve happened to Romo. He just could not lead this team. Maybe if it was a better team sure but he had plenty of chances to take to us even to a conference championship and showed he couldn’t.
Dak is no different so far, so why is he put so much higher on a pedestal than Romo? Oh, I get it, because he hasn't gone to Cabo or dated a Hollywood celebrity.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak is no different so far, so why is he put so much higher on a pedestal than Romo? Oh, I get it, because he hasn't gone to Cabo or dated a Hollywood celebrity.
Not at all. Dak is in exactly the same boat as Romo thus far.

Mark

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

People till this day talk about how bad it was when Jerry fired Jimmy.

The worst thing Jerry Jones did was keep Garrett as his head coach for a decade.

It’s not even close imo. It trumps all of his bad decisions as Owner / GM.
Maybe so. But I don't understand living in the past, and getting triggered by JG merely interviewing Dak for a media piece.

rags747

Reaction score
Absolutely great interview, I like Garrett too! Dak is just a wonderful human being, I see him doing something really big after his playing days are over.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sticking with Dak was a horrible move. Might have cost us a Super Bowl. No rookie QB was going to win it. Romo gave us our best shot to win. He was 100% healthy and ready to play.
I agree with you on putting Romo back, but do you really think Garrett could have led a team to a superbowl?

Big D

Reaction score
Sticking with Dak was a horrible move. Might have cost us a Super Bowl. No rookie QB was going to win it. Romo gave us our best shot to win. He was 100% healthy and ready to play.
Stop it. Romo would be in a wheelchair if we stuck with him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’ve wasted almost 3 decades under our current regime. If not for Jimmy it would probably be 35 years assuming Jethro survived without that early success.

While we currently have a much more experienced and proven NFL HC for the first time since Parcells the results thus far still haven’t knocked the monkey off our backs. Hopefully that will change soon .
But if it doesn’t…

Somehow so far at least it was somewhat comforting with a much greater built in excuse why we weren’t having more success. I’m not sure how it’s going to shake out if one of our best HC’s this era isn’t able to advance further than the Cowboys “Greatest Puppet” who still holds the most playoff wins this era.

And truly amazing the futility of the Cowboys last 3 decades. Garrett’s era as OC and HC so far represents the best since Jimmy era with 5 division titles , 5 Divisional playoff rounds and 3 playoff wins all for a 2 yr QB coach who had no experience at any level of football beyond that in coaching with no business becoming an OC or HC in NFL. And still came within a catch that wasn’t and a miraculous 3rd and 20 from reaching the only Cowboys championship game this era.

The hate for him besides his best efforts within the dysfunction he operated sill disappoints me. While I understand the frustration we all felt it wasn’t on him he was placed in that position. Nor was it on him that he remained as long as he did. I’d still be surprised of any NFL HC which had similar success with the inexperience in coaching he brought.

And for the record no HC with the exception of Jimmy and Chan ( after about a decade at GA Tech )ever rebounded to become a HC again in the NFL. The Cowboys have basically been a graveyard for HC’s in the NFL since Jimmy. Most have been brought out of retirement that other NFL teams weren’t seeking or never to be seen at the helm again besides these exceptions.

We’ll see if this SB caliber HC with arguably the best Cowboys team this era can finally do it . If he does then we can still hold Jethro accountable for taking this long to do the right thing. If not then I’d hope we’d look more favorable on the HC that shouldn’t have been for all of the reasons our ownership tried to perpetuate.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry has traumatized a lot of fans for the rest of their life with the decade of Coach Carrot Top. Every thread to mention this guy brings up this PTSD from everyone.