Twitter: Dak and Romo first three years as a starter

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Oh that’s convenient...:facepalm:

Dude, this is even mentioned by Aikman a couple times during games - Dak doesn't read the field fast. Which is why he doesn't notices players streaking down the sideline wide open.

What's "convenient" is completely leaving out context. Again, these comparisons are idiotic and continuing to place it on "scheme" is also convenient.

Oh, and that's not even what I consider a complete positive for Romo and Rodgers - it's a double edge sword that helped and hurt their teams.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Prescott and Romo didn't face each other, big brain. They faced different defenses in a different time. These comparisons have always been incredibly silly.

And I "blame" Dak for his individual performance. Show me one site that has Dak top 10 or even top 15 in 2017 or 2018. I'm not talking some silly Percy Howard Bot stat, I'm saying when everything is collectively taken together, with tape watched, that Dak ended up being within the top 15 QBs.
You're romance for Romo has effected your reasoning. You like to puff your chest and toss these lame insults like you matter, but you've been exposed and everyone knows it.
You repeat the same nonsense, cherry picked points like a parrot. No one takes you serious.

You "yeah but what about 2017? and you can't use his rookie season..." blah blah blah.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd say there are fairly similar degrees of successes and failures, despite the fact that they occurred in different eras with somewhat different personnel. I'm quite honestly not inclined to promote either one over the other. I think they both had their share of qualities and flaws, although, I do enjoy the fact that both were reasonably successful QBs of my favorite team.

Last edited:

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I have no idea how he would have "produced" - I'm not the one who is comparing W/L records with Dak and Romo starting. Take it up with the person who tweeted this stupid crap.

I have no reason to compare Prescott and Romo, heck, they aren't even peers - I can get enough of a read on how Dak is doing by comparing him to other QBs that are playing with him NOW. Not how Romo or any other QB looked a decade ago. Dak fanboys always want to use data from 10-20 years ago. This tactic of putting down past QBs to elevate a current QB is dumb.
It's a simple question. Do you think Romo would have produced as a rookie the way he did when he finally started a full season? You pointed out something Romo accomplished in his second year as a starter that Dak didn't. The tweet didn't specify starting years you did. So what's your opinion on it?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Side note.....Romo first huge contract ( $67M ) was also his first year as a starter 2007

You know what I would compare, Romo 2014 and Prescott 2016. Same O-line, same coach, same OC. Both had the same WR in Dez albeit Dez coming off injury in 2016. Both with stud RB's. Both went the same distance in the playoffs too. I know Romo's passing TD numbers will be higher but factor in Prescotts rushing TD's. The mentality in 2014 became run the ball behind the O-line so Romo didn't have to fling it all over the yard. Same mentality with Prescott 2016. For me that's the best comparison

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's a simple question. Do you think Romo would have produced as a rookie the way he did when he finally started a full season? You pointed out something Romo accomplished in his second year as a starter that Dak didn't. The tweet didn't specify starting years you did. So what's your opinion on it?

Again, I don't know. He didn't start, I didn't get to see the 2003 to 2005 Tony Romo play the freakin' game. Thus, I don't know. I don't even care.

I'm not the one comparing Dak to Romo or Romo to Dak. Maybe Romo in 2016 and starting would have won us a Super Bowl - I don't know. Maybe he would have won us one in 2018....I don't know. I don't care.

Compare Dak to his peers. When comparing, each site from Football Outsiders to PFF has him ranked from 17-20. I care about this.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You know what I would compare, Romo 2014 and Prescott 2016. Same O-line, same coach, same OC. Both had the same WR in Dez albeit Dez coming off injury in 2016. Both with stud RB's. Both went the same distance in the playoffs too. I know Romo's passing TD numbers will be higher but factor in Prescotts rushing TD's. The mentality in 2014 became run the ball behind the O-line so Romo didn't have to fling it all over the yard. Same mentality with Prescott 2016. For me that's the best comparison
So ignore the fact that one was a rookie and the other was in his 11th year?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Again, I don't know. He didn't start, I didn't get to see the 2003 to 2005 Tony Romo play the freakin' game. Thus, I don't know. I don't even care.

I'm not the one comparing Dak to Romo or Romo to Dak. Maybe Romo in 2016 and starting would have won us a Super Bowl - I don't know. Maybe he would have won us one in 2018....I don't know. I don't care.

Compare Dak to his peers. When comparing, each site from Football Outsiders to PFF has him ranked from 17-20. I care about this.
Then why throw out the correction to prop Romo? That was a comparison right there. I do agree that comparing them is pointless and goes nowhere. Dak supporters compare to his early years because that's where Dak's at in his career. The other side compares Dak to 2014 Romo which is even dumber.

Dunks3001

Reaction score

I bet those stats are very similar if you include Prescott's rushing TDs (I mean why wouldn't you). All I know is both times the Cowboys offense did enough to win but the Defense couldn't contain Rodgers in both 2014 and 2016. That wasn't Romo or Prescott's fault.

On a side note I've always been irked by the decision to throw it up to Dez on the infamous 4th down, 50/50, Dez caught it play. Yes, I know he caught it and the rule was dumb but why take the risk? Wasn't it 4th and 2? I'd rather run Demarco up the middle to pick up the first down, continue to bleed clock and score. Maybe i'm remembering it wrong and it's a discussion for another thread.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I bet those stats are very similar if you include Prescott's rushing TDs (I mean why wouldn't you). All I know is both times the Cowboys offense did enough to win but the Defense couldn't contain Rodgers in both 2014 and 2016. That wasn't Romo or Prescott's fault.

On a side note I've always been irked by the decision to throw it up to Dez on the infamous 4th down, 50/50, Dez caught it play. Yes, I know he caught it and the rule was dumb but why take the risk? Wasn't it 4th and 2? I'd rather run Demarco up the middle to pick up the first down, continue to bleed clock and score. Maybe i'm remembering it wrong and it's a discussion for another thread.

They are very similar indeed It was one of Romo's lesser years for passing yards and best years for INT's. Go figure right. You make a great point with the D versus the Pack

DFWJC

Reaction score
I did find some things interesting when looking up the 1st 48 starts from both players.

The passing turnover differential (TD-int) was 42 for both players.

Romo passing yards per game was 266
Prescott's was 226
But of course, Prescott adds another 25 years or so per game rushing.
Dak rushed for WAY more TDs. Tony threw for WAY more TDs

Both had great QB ratings thru the 1st 48 games. 96 for Dak and about 95 for Tony....though adjusting for decade, Romo's would be about 104 apples vs apples

First 48 games TEAM wins and losses
Romo 33-15
Prescott 32-16

Anyway you slice it, it was good start for both players

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Then why throw out the correction to prop Romo? That was a comparison right there. I do agree that comparing them is pointless and goes nowhere. Dak supporters compare to his early years because that's where Dak's at in his career. The other side compares Dak to 2014 Romo which is even dumber.

My "correction" is simply that - this was a reach to "mirror". Romo in his first two seasons starting, he got to the playoffs.

Nothing here at all even helps either Romo or Dak - it's a silly, and frankly, smooth brain look on the NFL. This board has seriously gotten stupid the past couple years, this isn't newsworthy and it's barely conversation worthy.

Reactions: Coy

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

I agree with this whole post.