Twitter: Dak and Romo first three years as a starter

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
...and I don't care.

The simple fact is, Dak is starting right now - and right now, his has mechanic and footwork problems and doesn't read the field like Romo did. There's nothing we can do about Romo having years on the bench, it's irrelevant. We made Dak the starter, this is what we have to deal with.
You don't care, but you keep posting, lol.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
My kingdom for the day we no longer have to deal with romo talk. I can ignore for sure it but why doesn't Staubach and aikman get as much bandwidth? 2 QB's that i considered as good and at times better. The love affair this fanbase has with him Ill never understand. Its not even that i dont like the guy cause I did it that Im so tired of hearing about a player that gave his all and folks act like no one else on his teams did.

If it wasnt for Tony this or if it wasnt for tony that. Geez what about the rest of the guys the ones blocking the ones catching etc. Oh ya footballs a team sport except during his era and Tony did it all. Its truly time to move on
Dak could win the SB and some won't be totally happy because it wasn't Romo.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
aikman became good at reading defenses, but it took a while. same for romo. it will be the same for dak. what any of the aforementioned did their first 3 years is called history. interesting, perhaps. but not relevant to today.
I remember an interview with Romo I thought was interesting. Contrary to what many fans think, including myself ,was that he struggled throwing the ball accurately early in his career. He turned out to be a solid passer downfield.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
True. He had to work on it. Was not ready in year, or year 2.
I remember the time, but I guess I don't remember him struggle much. But then again, he had a couple years to prepare.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Romo didn't miss the playoffs in his second season as a starter

He went 6-5 starting in 2006, where we had an important 4 game win streak and wont 5 out of 6 games which got us into the playoffs.

In 2007, we went 13-3 and made the playoffs.

Excluding his first starts in the NFL is dumb - he was important for the 2006 season and this was simply a reach, and using W/L records as a link is moronic.

I think it's saying his first 3 years as a starter. He sat on the bench his first 3 years, and he started the season on the bench his 4th year before taking over for Bledsoe, so his first true year as a starter was his 5th year (2007). He did come in for Bledsoe in his 4th year, drive them to the playoffs, and make the Pro Bowl, but they're not counting that year in this comparison.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think it's saying his first 3 years as a starter. He sat on the bench his first 3 years, and he started the season on the bench his 4th year before taking over for Bledsoe, so his first true year as a starter was his 5th year (2007). He did come in for Bledsoe in his 4th year, drive them to the playoffs, and make the Pro Bowl, but they're not counting that year in this comparison.

He was named starter in 2006, he didn't get there due to injury. If this was the case, we might as well remove Dak since he didn't OFFICIALLY become starter until Romo was healed.

We don't ignore seasons if a starting QB misses the first 5-6 weeks of the season but finishes the year. Romo started and helped us to the playoffs in 2006.

He made the playoffs back to back years, the 06 playoffs sure as hell isn't ignored when people want to show the infamous bobbled snap.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He was named starter in 2006, he didn't get there due to injury. If this was the case, we might as well remove Dak since he didn't OFFICIALLY become starter until Romo was healed.

We don't ignore seasons if a starting QB misses the first 5-6 weeks of the season but finishes the year. Romo started and helped us to the playoffs in 2006.

He made the playoffs back to back years, the 06 playoffs sure as hell isn't ignored when people want to show the infamous bobbled snap.
You should see a therapist. Your infatuation with Romo is unhealthy

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

I'm not ignoring his first season. I'm just saying the comparison the OP makes is acurrate if you count 2007 as his first year as the true starter.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is how the romo legend continues to grow.
I can't even imagine romo playing football games in his 1st 3 years
Starting as a rookie under Par ells he would have been out of the league after his third start.

NEXT...

MojaveJT

Reaction score
aikman became good at reading defenses, but it took a while. same for romo. it will be the same for dak. what any of the aforementioned did their first 3 years is called history. interesting, perhaps. but not relevant to today.

This is what I hope for Dak. It takes experience to be able to read D’s and adjust. He’ll have to put in the work and hopefully this OC staff under Moore will help.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Tony coming out of Eastern Illinois instead of the SEC certainly was part of the reason he sat.
Also the fact that few coaches (other than maybe George Allen) have ever preferred old, veteran QBs more than Parcells.

Tony for sure wasn't ready his 1st year, but after that he may have grown into the position quite well. 3rd stringers get almost zero reps during the season, practice or real.
Ideally, he would've become the starter after 2 years sitting, and would've never been a special teams holder while starting. lol

The one trait we all loved about Romo was he always played to win. His attitude was this might be my only chance so I’m gonna lay it all on the line right now.

The new guy is quite the opposite in the sense that sometimes he plays not to lose and goes very conservative. It’s mental, dude needs to just loosen up and let it fly..

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Prescott and Romo didn't face each other, big brain. They faced different defenses in a different time. These comparisons have always been incredibly silly.

And I "blame" Dak for his individual performance. Show me one site that has Dak top 10 or even top 15 in 2017 or 2018. I'm not talking some silly Percy Howard Bot stat, I'm saying when everything is collectively taken together, with tape watched, that Dak ended up being within the top 15 QBs.
I can agree with maybe Dak isn't top 10 but it's beyond foolish to say he isn't top 15. A guy didn't win the second most games since entering the league or break records being bottom half in the league.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I bet those stats are very similar if you include Prescott's rushing TDs (I mean why wouldn't you). All I know is both times the Cowboys offense did enough to win but the Defense couldn't contain Rodgers in both 2014 and 2016. That wasn't Romo or Prescott's fault.

On a side note I've always been irked by the decision to throw it up to Dez on the infamous 4th down, 50/50, Dez caught it play. Yes, I know he caught it and the rule was dumb but why take the risk? Wasn't it 4th and 2? I'd rather run Demarco up the middle to pick up the first down, continue to bleed clock and score. Maybe i'm remembering it wrong and it's a discussion for another thread.
Plus Wotten and Beasley were open for the first down. Folks want to say Dak doesn't see the field but I'm willing to bet Dak takes the first down there instead of throwing a deep jump ball to Dez

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This is how the romo legend continues to grow.
I can't even imagine romo playing football games in his 1st 3 years
Starting as a rookie under Par ells he would have been out of the league after his third start.

NEXT...
Romo couldn't even beat out Quincy or Chad. I didn't even notice him until that pre-season in 2006. That's the first time I thought maybe we have something here at QB.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I can agree with maybe Dak isn't top 10 but it's beyond foolish to say he isn't top 15. A guy didn't win the second most games since entering the league or break records being bottom half in the league.

Then show me the site that has Dak within the top 15.