Dak benefit of the doubt will be gone with fans

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Daks passing is all over the place. He can never consistently put the ball where it's supposed to be. Those late game stats was Cooper getting free when they were playing zone.

It's funny that you think Prescott has an accuracy problem seeing how Prescott has better completion percentages than all but 2 of Aikman's years. You must then feel Aikman had an accuracy problem too.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The whole point was to prove that completion percentage could be changed by rule changes, which you have accepted. Although I could make up more rules it isn't really needed.

I admitted that your EXTREMELY rare example MAY affect a QB's completion percentage by AT MOST a tenth of as single point which isn't going to change anyone's mind on a QB's accuracy. So ya list all of the rule changes that could cause a ball that physically goes into a receiver's hands and stops him from making the catch.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Nope....they WERE in the past trying to UNDERpay Dak...big difference sir!

The last set of numbers I heard was 33 mil per year avg and 105 mil guaranteed. Doesn't sound like underpay.
Or if "in the past" is in reference to Dak's rookie contract, he was paid what he was supposed to be paid for a 4th round pick.
When were they actually "trying to underpay Dak"? Not sure what you're referring to.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Ok...fair point @Hadenough so how about games where the Offense scored (showed up) and defense (didn't)couldnt stop the opposing team?

Do those games exist?

Does that automatically mean Dak carried the team?
Dak has his shining moments!
I actually thought Dak hung in there and kept Dallas in that Vikings game considering Zeke couldnt get anything going. I know he didnt finish the job and get the W but he had a good game. The defense just got killed by the Vikings running game. I didnt like that pass in the flat to Zeke on 4th down but hey that happens. The Cowboys rarely put together a game where they play well in all phases of the game. When they do its usually against the Commanders or Giants. My issue with Dak is that he goes cold for periods of time and that affects the team as a whole and people on this forum want to see him get paid top money and Im not sold on him because of what I see. There is no doubt Dak deserves to be paid! But combine that with him wanting to be over paid and It just isnt good for him or this team.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dak has far exceeded my expectations for him. Hes a top 12 qb after last season. 34 is plenty but tons of qbs have been getting overpaid so if It takes 34 a year then so be it. Daks not being greedy unless he wants more than that. Sign him this offseason for 33-35 per or the tag was pointless.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's funny that you think Prescott has an accuracy problem seeing how Prescott has better completion percentages than all but 2 of Aikman's years. You must then feel Aikman had an accuracy problem too.
Its very hard to compare QBs from different eras because the rules have changed so much to help the passing game. Back in Aikmans day they were also considered a true running team. Aikman was never known to be a QB that would take over a game slinging the ball around. Back then the CBs could grab and pull on WRs and WRs could push off. The one thing about Aikman is he could hand the ball off 8 times in a row and then on 3rd and 7 throw a strike on a quick slant for a first down when he needed it. Completion percentage is misleading because a QB can throw short passes to his RB or WR and when nothing is there either run or tale a sack and he looks like he is completing all his passes. You want to look at completion percentage then look at it in the redzone where everyone is covered because of the compressed field and then get a better idea of a QBs accuracy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/redzone-passing.htm

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Dak has his shining moments! I actually thought Dak hung in there and kept Dallas in that Vikings game considering Zeke couldnt get anything going. I know he didnt finish the job and get the W but he had a good game. The defense just got killed by the Vikings running game. I didnt like that pass in the flat to Zeke on 4th down but hey that happens. The Cowboys rarely put together a game where they play well in all phases of the game. When they do its usually against the Commanders or Giants. My issue with Dak is that he goes cold for periods of time and that affects the team as a whole and people on this forum want to see him get paid top money and Im not sold on him because of what I see. There is no doubt Dak deserves to be paid! But combine that with him wanting to be over paid and It just isnt good for him or this team.

I can go along with that explanation Hadenough.

Swagger

Reaction score
Its very hard to compare QBs from different eras because the rules have changed so much to help the passing game. Back in Aikmans day they were also considered a true running team. Aikman was never known to be a QB that would take over a game slinging the ball around. Back then the CBs could grab and pull on WRs and WRs could push off. The one thing about Aikman is he could hand the ball off 8 times in a row and then on 3rd and 7 throw a strike on a quick slant for a first down when he needed it. Completion percentage is misleading because a QB can throw short passes to his RB or WR and when nothing is there either run or tale a sack and he looks like he is completing all his passes. You want to look at completion percentage then look at it in the redzone where everyone is covered because of the compressed field and then get a better idea of a QBs accuracy.

Interesting stats - not going to comment on Prescott as it will only instigate a hurl of abuse regardless but those stats are interesting for all the quarterbacks. Baker Mayfield really stands out - absolutely terrible within the 20 and 10! Goff far more accurate than even I thought he would be to his credit, very efficient. Tannehill the most accurate QB in the league within the 20 and 10 yet threw 4 interceptions (maybe some of those weren't on him I don't know). Wentz is money whilst Lamar Jackson wow! Russell Wilson as well given the state of the O line he has worked with.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I admitted that your EXTREMELY rare example MAY affect a QB's completion percentage by AT MOST a tenth of as single point which isn't going to change anyone's mind on a QB's accuracy. So ya list all of the rule changes that could cause a ball that physically goes into a receiver's hands and stops him from making the catch.

They could stop counting all deflections in completion percentage. They could stop counting drops in completion percentage (some people already argue for that). That's just off the top of my head. Using a real world examples the increase in pass interference calls has increased completion percentages because those misses are not counted because of the penalty.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree. They use stats to rip on him and yet will blow off stats that he has shown great improvement in his play The notion of the thread that he will not have the benefit of the doubt? when the hell was he given any benefit of the doubt as QB? lol
You are right on. Remember Dakin and Dinkin. Now it’s garbage time stats. They never said that about anybody else. It reminds me of the false narrative of Romo choking in December the talking heads would bring up. The Romo roll a coaster.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Interesting stats - not going to comment on Prescott as it will only instigate a hurl of abuse regardless but those stats are interesting for all the quarterbacks. Baker Mayfield really stands out - absolutely terrible within the 20 and 10! Goff far more accurate than even I thought he would be to his credit, very efficient. Tannehill the most accurate QB in the league within the 20 and 10 yet threw 4 interceptions (maybe some of those weren't on him I don't know). Wentz is money whilst Lamar Jackson wow! Russell Wilson as well given the state of the O line he has worked with.
Your the first person that has actually commented on those stats. I think they show a little bit about accuracy in a compressed field.

Swagger

Reaction score
Your the first person that has actually commented on those stats. I think they show a little bit about accuracy in a compressed field.
Prescott and Daniel Jones have very similar stats perhaps reflective of having Elliott and Barkley in the back field.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Well I'm not arguing here that Dak at his worst is as good as Rodgers at his worst. My point was these guys have struggled when they didn't have pieces around them. There's no way to argue around that. My argument was never Dak was as good as them. Its actually the opposite. If these veterans have struggled when the pieces aren't around him then why wouldn't Dak?

But no one else takes a team friendly deal so what's the point? Y'all want him to take a team friendly deal because y'all think it will help them sign this magical player. But it won't. You know where his 4 million will go? To paying Jaylon Smith.

IF they went 1-6 guess what? That wasn't no super cast buddy lol.
Nobody seems to get (fans or talking heads) that the talent around Dak is average. He has never had an elite defense. His receivers have been average. Zeke, Tyron and Zach were the only elite talent he had around him in recent memory. Let’s not overate Amari. Good receiver but not elite. I remember 2016 preseason, we were picked to have a top 5 draft choice when Romo broke his back. 2017 was the best team we had at the beginning of the season but the suspension of Zeke killed the momentum.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nobody seems to get (fans or talking heads) that the talent around Dak is average. He has never had an elite defense. His receivers have been average. Zeke, Tyron and Zach were the only elite talent he had around him in recent memory. Let’s not overate Amari. Good receiver but not elite. I remember 2016 preseason, we were picked to have a top 5 draft choice when Romo broke his back. 2017 was the best team we had at the beginning of the season but the suspension of Zeke killed the momentum.
Media tells them the cowboys are talented and they run with it. They went 8-8 for a reason.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Media tells them the cowboys are talented and they run with it. They went 8-8 for a reason.
I never heard anyone talk about the Eagles talent when it comes to Carson Wentz. They won a Super Bowl without him. Now since he beat the NFC East in 3 late season games, he is top flight quarterback. Please give me a break. He showed how average he was after playing one series against the Seahawks. I know we have lots of Eagles fans posing as Cowboys fans on this site but stop with the slurping of Wince.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Your Aikman era of being a more run first offense has less than zero to do with Aikman's completion percentage and as far as the endzone percentage all those passes is also part of all QB completion percentage. None of this changes what a QB's completion percentage is regardless of what era it is. But their completion percentage does show their accuracy.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They could stop counting all deflections in completion percentage. They could stop counting drops in completion percentage (some people already argue for that). That's just off the top of my head. Using a real world examples the increase in pass interference calls has increased completion percentages because those misses are not counted because of the penalty.

You are now saying things COULD but they don't and you end by saying that penalties called on a passing play that the pass doersn't count in the stats which is true now and in every other era. As far as your COULDS the reason why they WON'T is no matter what era you're talking about there has been/is defenders that deflect balls as well as receivers that drop balls. That is not anything unique to today's football.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I never heard anyone talk about the Eagles talent when it comes to Carson Wentz. They won a Super Bowl without him. Now since he beat the NFC East in 3 late season games, he is top flight quarterback. Please give me a break. He showed how average he was after playing one series against the Seahawks. I know we have lots of Eagles fans posing as Cowboys fans on this site but stop with the slurping of Wince.
You nailed it. I posted a article showing how poor Howie Roseman was and it hasn’t been spoken of since.