Dak Can't Throw A WR Open

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The notion that Dak has never thrown a receiver open is freaking ludicrous.

Look at a couple of the Brice butler TD’s from last year. Including the one against Arizona.

Look at the long completion to T will down the sideline

Several crossing routes he threw to T will.

Shoot some of the Dez touchdowns from 2016. Namely agains the eagles and lions....

I mean what are we splitting hairs over how often he does it? How often is he expected to do it?

Honestly the “throw a receiver open” argument is one of the worst I’ve heard in a long time. Throwing a receiver open is something a QB has to do when the receivers aren’t doing their jobs. It’s not part of an offensive system. And Dak has done it in his first couple of years to boot.

Is anybody claiming Dak doesn’t throw WR’s open going to actually post numbers and video to compare how often Dak does it versus other QB’s? Because until that happens the argument is moot and stupid to boot.
Most of these people don't even know what analysts mean when they say throw a receiver open...just repeating what they heard the next idiot say.

Number1

Reaction score
if Dak couldn't throw a guy open he'd have never started in the SEC, let alone got drafted

we're talking NFL football, all these guys are good, real good.

I understand the press making silly comments like that to get clicks - but it's beneath a true FB fan

it seems like some see Dak as HOF material, others as a complete dud. the kid can hoop, but is a work in progress, anyone denying that is really in la la land

frankly, in 2018 he'll have time to throw to new WRs and new TEs - with considerably more play making ability - working who knows what formations ... time will tell

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Does he need to?

GMo-- dont worry about Dak...yes i must admit i was upset middle of last season...and i was complaining about Dak...but a new season close..2018 bro...and Dak will play a lot better...25+TD's and 10 or less ints..plust Zeke over 1700 yds and 500 receiving with 50 catches

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, he did have problems throwing that jogging WR open who made no effort to get open, that's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes and no, If I have a DB on the WR outside then the QB needs to put it on the inside giving his WR a chance to make the catch. Only other way I know to throw a WR open is by using a pump fake to get the DB to bite on it but by and large it is up to the WR to run his rout and gain separation, some do it with speed others like Witten did with his rout running ability
Even just something as basic as throwing to the spot before the WR even makes his break, or just leading him....are both “throwing him open” to some degree.

I have confidence that Dak will continue to evolve,

erod

Reaction score
That's funny being he was a top 10 qb his rookie year....but now he's outside of top 20...ok lol.
No, he wasn't. He had the best offensive line, the best running back, a terrific group of receivers,v and a league that was just figuring him out.

But all the clues were there to see. His limitations in the pocket and inability to read defenses. By year's end, good defenses were toying with him.

erod

Reaction score
due mainly to coaching ,playcalling, game planning,
game mgmt, schemes, etc.
Coaches can make a player look bad or good.
look at foles last year, he had 2 bad games, at end of reg season, so the coaches looked at what he did good in the past,
and made plays and game plans based on his strength's and after that he looked fantastic, and was mvp in a SB win.

Coaching matters, and that is a classic example.

Our coaches would have continued trying to make foles fit their plays, and not designed new ones for his strength's.

This is what I hope Dak friendly means, is that they have designed new plays, to take advantage of things dak does do well.
I have doubts, but am hoping.
Coaches call what players are capable of.

Linehan doesn't call for Dak what he called for others.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
He didn't seem to "need" one when Dez was out.

I don't know if that has more to do with him not needing a #1 receiver, or not feeling the pressure of having to frequently target a specific player (whether open or not) to satisfy his ego.

Lets not delude ourselves and think that it was Dez's fault that Dak was not good last year. There was a point last year where Dak was just terrible, and I was aghast watching him. Dez was terrible too, but forcing it to Dez was not the only problem that Dak had last year. He was terrible with plenty of other receivers too. The video was actually good in saying that Dak is not the guy *yet*. Hopefully he will work hard and improve this off season so that he can be that guy -- the franchise quarterback. But as of the end of last seasons: Dak has problems.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
and I have made no excuse for any game and I have said he has to make improvements in his game. Clearly Dallas want to run the ball that is a given since Demarco Murray was here, Zeke is a key part of it. Dak will have to show improvement as teams will focus on stopping the Dallas running game and without a good passing attack a good defense will be able to slow the run game down. Bottom line Dak will have to improve his play. Garrett knows it and Dak knows it. As a fan my hope is he does, I support Dak as much as I have supported others. If he fails then Dallas will be looking for a QB. I feel Dak can and will improve as a QB we will see.

I'm glad to see not everyone is a homer here :D Good post.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
where was all this hate and questions during his rookie season?
Lets not confuse being real with being a hater. Many of us like Dak, and we see a lot of good qualities about him. But lets be real, he was bad last season. If he can improve his accuracy in the deep game this offseason, then he has enough qualities to make him a franchise quarterback, if not then we are not going to compete in this league.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
"Dak can't throw a receiver open" is the new "Romo doesn't win big games" mantra. Its so annoying and dated.

Well I think the possibilities are a lot worse than winning big games. If Dak doesn't improve, it might be that Dak doesn't win you very many games if defensive coordinators can scheme games to his inability to be a deep threat. That is my greatest fear with Dak. And I'm not saying that Dak sucks and that we can't win with Dak. I am saying that Dak has to work hard this off season and overcome his weakness. I've seen enough traits in Dak that if he can overcome his deficiency that I think he can be great.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Very true. It’s like Madden used to say all the time. Something probably stinks a little, but winning is the ultimate deodorant.

It’s really spot on. A good season in the win column doesn’t mean things don’t need to be fixed.

And its also before Defensive coordinators have a whole off season to analyze. People keep pointing back to the 2016 season as if other players in the past didn't have great rookie seasons, but then the league had time to analyze their games and adjust. I don't get why people keep skipping that step in deduction: it's like wanting to be willfully blind to reality. The obvious next step is to adjust your game to counter their adjustments.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Does he need to?

In his career, Dak has completed almost 69% of his passes to guys not named Dez Bryant. He only completed 52% of his passes TO Dez Bryant.

I'm sooooooo sick of this "#1 receiver" silliness. Dez was supposed to be that guy, and he brought Dak's numbers down. :rolleyes:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Coaches call what players are capable of.

Linehan doesn't call for Dak what he called for others.
Well it all gets complicated, I dont know who actually designs the plays, or what they have in mind when they do.
I would throw the old playbook int the garbage can and make a whole new one based on what dak and offense can do the best.

Each person sees dak differently, and coaches are persons lol.
I dont know how linehan and JG see dak.
I do know JG prefers to make QB's classic pocket passers, and that isn't dak.