Dak contract clarification

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Dak signed a new deal without a no trade clause. In theory he could be traded tomorrow.

Neither side is in a rush to sign a new deal.
He can't sign a new deal tomorrow that would offer him a no trade right now.
Because of the amount he is owed for cap purposes has now it has to be an extension.
That 95M isn't going away with a signature but it can be rolled forward via extension.

OR he can sign a NEW deal that begins AFTER this one ends, and we eat the 95 mil anyway. .
But that would make no sense for Dallas.
They really need an extension or an out unless they wanna eat 40M next year in dead money plus create an entirely fresh contract where they eat year 1 low amounts.
In this case they'd be on level ground with every other team minus said 40M in dead money.

Dak and his agent would probably prefer to hit free agency and see how much Miami is willing to pay him to move to South Beach TBH. And as these thigns go he would obviously know well in advance if he doesn't already.

I still belief the only way through is going to Dak and saying what does it take to get a deal that offers us an out if it all goes wrong with the team and allows us to build a team around you to win.
Otherwise shooting for it all this one last time isn't all bad.
Except what if you got far in the playoffs and Dak felt like hey I can't risk my health or anything with no future money GTD so he is tossing it in the stands instead of running when we need him fighting for every inch. He did suffer a broken leg playing on a tag once already.
He might not be willing to risk that again at this age.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You let it play out. If he has a great season and leads you to an nfc championship at least and plays well in the playoffs you can pay him. Even if it’s an overpay compared to what it would be now.

Make him prove he can win in the playoffs… without that…. It’s pointless to give him 4 years just to free up cap. It’s a calculated risk I’m willing to take.
Dak would be under zero obligation to even give you a meeting if that does occur.
He may or may not.
Reality is if he plays this thing out, he'll likely know his next destination long before we do.
But it will be what it will be.

I just can't fathom any way in which you can pay Micah and CeeDee top of position money then start Trey Lance.
That is criminal negligence.
The league might have to step in and remove Jerry at that point, lol.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He can't sign a new deal tomorrow that would offer him a no trade right now.
Because of the amount he is owed for cap purposes has now it has to be an extension.
That 95M isn't going away with a signature but it can be rolled forward via extension.

OR he can sign a NEW deal that begins AFTER this one ends, and we eat the 95 mil anyway. .
But that would make no sense for Dallas.
They really need an extension or an out unless they wanna eat 40M next year in dead money plus create an entirely fresh contract where they eat year 1 low amounts.
In this case they'd be on level ground with every other team minus said 40M in dead money.

Dak and his agent would probably prefer to hit free agency and see how much Miami is willing to pay him to move to South Beach TBH. And as these thigns go he would obviously know well in advance if he doesn't already.

I still belief the only way through is going to Dak and saying what does it take to get a deal that offers us an out if it all goes wrong with the team and allows us to build a team around you to win.
Otherwise shooting for it all this one last time isn't all bad.
Except what if you got far in the playoffs and Dak felt like hey I can't risk my health or anything with no future money GTD so he is tossing it in the stands instead of running when we need him fighting for every inch. He did suffer a broken leg playing on a tag once already.
He might not be willing to risk that again at this age.
Dallas has to pay the money they kicked down the road. It had nothing to do with the last contract. 4 years $160M was pretty reasonable. The fact they still owe $95M on his last year is the problem. GM Jethro created that problem.

The original contract was designed to pay him $43M this year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The leverage has now moved back to the team. Keeing him on the roster until final cuts is now the most economical move. But the worst for Dak as he wont have a chance to win a job elsewhere in training camp if e.g. a June 1st cut.

Cowboys could threaten to cut him in final cuts unless he halves his basic salary for 2024. By then no other team will have the money to pay him anything substantial in 2024 if he is cut.
He’s going to be paid a lot of money to play quarterback in the NFL. He knows it. His agent knows it. Jerry Jones knows it. He’s not going to take less than the offer he likes the most from an NFL ownership group. The notion that Jerry Jones is going to act in an unprofessional manner is just foolishness. Why do you suggest it? Cowboys fans that want some sort of retribution from Dak as punishment for the loss to Green Bay have issues. “unless he halves his basic salary”, seriously? Quarterbacks do not set the market price for NFL quarterbacks. The owners set the price. Dak will have offers and he’ll have to select the one he likes the best.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
If it wasn't for Dufus Jones we wouldn't be needing these Dak money threads....Thanks Jerry :facepalm:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dallas replaced those players this year with Kneeland, Beebe, and Flournoy.

Make all of the players you mentioned June 1st cuts and Dallas adds another 17 million to cap for a total of 93 million in 2025 to sign their own or other free agents.

The 79 or 93 million is more than enough to complete the roster.
Your only allowed two “post-June 1” cuts per year.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
keep seeing all these scenarios of his contract going forward.......can he just play out this year on his current contract and than we we can assess if we want to extend him or...are we stuck extending him or face cap hell?.......please explain
I believe he is due 40 million next year no matter what.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think that’s one way to identify the pro-Dak crowd. They keep saying that because they want it to be true so badly.
In 46 weeks Dak is a free agent. Between now and then he cannot be traded without his expressed consent. Between now and then other quarterbacks who have not performed as well as Dak will be signing contracts and Jerry Jones cannot control what those ownership groups pay their QBs. Between now and then the Cowboys may only negotiate with Todd France. It is a violation of the CBA to have contract discussions directly with players represented by an NFLPA certified agent. You can discuss leverage in any manner you choose, but Jerry Jones is not in an ideal position to negotiate a contract extension for Dak’s services.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dak and his agent would probably prefer to hit free agency
I am 99% confident this is what he would prefer........hell, he said last week he was willing to bet on himself again if it came to that. That tells he wanna use this season to maximize his market value and then tell Jerry to pay me X amount or I'm walking. The crazy thing is ain't a damn thing Jerry can do but pay him or watch him walk. That's the mess he and Stephen have gotten themselves into.......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
In 46 weeks Dak is a free agent. Between now and then he cannot be traded without his expressed consent. Between now and then other quarterbacks who have not performed as well as Dak will be signing contracts and Jerry Jones cannot control what those ownership groups pay their QBs. Between now and then the Cowboys may only negotiate with Todd France. It is a violation of the CBA to have contract discussions directly with players represented by an NFLPA certified agent. You can discuss leverage in any manner you choose, but Jerry Jones is not in an ideal position to negotiate a contract extension for Dak’s services.
:hammer:this isn't hard. Jerry is going to either pay Dak what he wants or let him and get a 3rd round comp pick

Chasing6

Reaction score
I have no idea what is going to happen with Dak. But if Dak has as much leverage as the Dak Fan Bois think he has the Cowboys would have already bowed down and backed up the Brinks truck for Dak.

Do you think that Dak has the power to force the Cowboys to keep him around after this year? Hint: That’s a negative ghost rider, the pattern is full.

I think Dak’s failures to perform are finally catching up with him. He might have to retire or buy a mansion in another city soon. lol.
Not at all Dak wants to test free agency. Why would he want to?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
:hammer:this isn't hard. Jerry is going to either pay Dak what he wants or let him and get a 3rd round comp pick
And Jerry is well aware of the situation. Lamb and Parsons can be tagged, if it comes to that. The Prescott sites what it is. I think Jerry is wisely keeping as much flexibility in personnel as possible so the new head coach he hires, and there will be a new head coach, has the opportunity to build the team in the manner he wants.

Chasing6

Reaction score
And Jerry is well aware of the situation. Lamb and Parsons can be tagged, if it comes to that. The Prescott sites what it is. I think Jerry is wisely keeping as much flexibility in personnel as possible so the new head coach he hires, and there will be a new head coach, has the opportunity to build the team in the manner he wants.
Funny that you think the HC has a say in how the team will be built.

Do you honestly think on a prove it year, that McCarthy decided not to participate in Free Agency?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Funny that you think the HC has a say in how the team will be built.

Do you honestly think on a prove it year, that McCarthy decided not to participate in Free Agency?
He isn’t going to be next seasons head coach. I doubt Dak will stick around beyond this season. McCarthy has been around long enough to know what’s what. The lack of input he certainly finds less than desirable. The best head coaching candidates will insist an a degree of involvement in making up the roster. Jerry Jones will do what he has to do to get the head coach of his choice. The “yes man” days are coming to an end. Closing in on his mid-80’s, so is Jerry.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He isn’t going to be next seasons head coach. I doubt Dak will stick around beyond this season. McCarthy has been around long enough to know what’s what. The lack of input he certainly finds less than desirable. The best head coaching candidates will insist an a degree of involvement in making up the roster. Jerry Jones will do what he has to do to get the head coach of his choice. The “yes man” days are coming to an end. Closing in on his mid-80’s, so is Jerry.
Nothing will change with GM Jethro.