Image: Dak could take naps and get pedicures with this pass protection

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Looks like 3 years, but 1st rounders get a bigger piece of the pie than a 4th rounder in those 3 years. Strange how the players association agreed to this.

Yeah but first rounders have to play on their rookie deal for 5 years unless the team reworks the deal.

So if you're a stud 10+ mill a year player it would probably be best to hit FA ASAP. Especially if you're a QB like Prescott.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You could take pictures like this from any team.

What about when Dak sprinted out right and bought as much time as possible and found Beasley for a TD?

Is our OL great? Yes.. But our guys are making plays also.

The play you are talking about is from the early second quarter. The pictures in the stills are from the second half. Dak played better sure but the pass protection didn't really pick up until after the second drive in the second quarter.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The play you are talking about is from the early second quarter. The pictures in the stills are from the second half. Dak played better sure but the pass protection didn't really pick up until after the second drive in the second quarter.

Regardless.... When all of these other NFL QB's get good protection or help from their defense it's irrelevant but when a Cowboy like Zeke or Dak have success it's mostly because of their OL.

Jerry Rice can be a below average athlete that played on a team with great QB's but he is considered the best of all time but Emmitt Smith can't be considered the best RB of all time because of his OL and Barry was faster... Come on.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Regardless.... When all of these other NFL QB's get good protection or help from their defense it's irrelevant but when a Cowboy like Zeke or Dak have success it's mostly because of their OL.

Jerry Rice can be a below average athlete that played on a team with great QB's but he is considered the best of all time but Emmitt Smith can't be considered the best RB of all time because of his OL and Barry was faster... Come on.

The pass protection and the OL in general was not very good in the first 5 drives. It was stellar from there on out. In particular they struggled to pick up middle stunts and blitzes. It delineated very well how Dak benefits from his line play.

Who said mostly?

Fact is that Dak's mechanics deteriorate under pressure. He rushes throws and dips his elbow, his feet start pointing all over the place, he dips his stance, and he leans forward and back. It is what it is.

Fact is that the two TD against Pitt as well as the long one against Cinci saw Zeke go untouched. Sure his speed and quickness played a part but few RB get that benefit. Mike Tomlin was haranguing his front 7 for not being able to get off blocks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The pass protection and the OL in general was not very good in the first 5 drives. It was stellar from there on out. In particular they struggled to pick up middle stunts and blitzes. It delineated very well how Dak benefits from his line play.

Who said mostly?

Fact is that Dak's mechanics deteriorate under pressure. He rushes throws and dips his elbow, his feet start pointing all over the place, he dips his stance, and he leans forward and back. It is what it is.

Fact is that the two TD against Pitt as well as the long one against Cinci saw Zeke go untouched. Sure his speed and quickness played a part but few RB get that benefit. Mike Tomlin was haranguing his front 7 for not being able to get off blocks.

Dak has technique problems I agree.. Mostly with his footwork more than anything..

Still though... We're saying he is doing good when he is better protected.. That would go for any NFL QB.

I'm not under some illusion that he doesn't have flaws and that our OL doesn't hide some of those flaws. But you gotta give him credit for making plays, protecting the football, and consistently finding the open man.

As for Zeke... Yes the OL is blocking well but we are running a zone scheme so his vision is going to be put into play and he is reading the blocks at a high level and making great cuts off of those reads.

Has Zeke had some easy runs? Yes.. He sure has.. But I've seen him pick up 10 yards when there was only 2 several times.

I've seen Frederick get pushed back on 3rd and 1 and Zeke still manage to get those yards.

Our OL is great. I don't deny that or that our rookies are having a lot of success because of them. But our rookies are making plays that have nothing to do with good blocking at times.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pete Prisco Verified account ‏@PriscoCBS
Hey rest of NFL passers, you jealous. Look at that room.

Cx4OFeoUoAAEoBB.jpg

Cx4OFebUsAIhz0_.jpg
#1 defense my butt.

Maverick84

Reaction score
You could take pictures like this from any team.

What about when Dak sprinted out right and bought as much time as possible and found Beasley for a TD?

Is our OL great? Yes.. But our guys are making plays also.
was the OP a slight on Dak or something?

not you specifically man but there's an epidemic on this board of not being able to compliment a damn thing without someone perceiving it as a slight on someone else and then opening up a case file and taking it to freaking court

Compliment Romo? DAK HATER! Compliment Dak? ROMO HATER! Compliment the Oline? YOU SAYING DAK CAN'T MAKE PLAYS?? HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!!!!

https://encrypted-tbn2.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwZxHfR-afoRhvSzeExg7XB6HKIVQclIRxV1YDbOZZ5WNujqOM

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
was the OP a slight on Dak or something?

not you specifically man but there's an epidemic on this board of not being able to compliment a damn thing without someone perceiving it as a slight on someone else and then opening up a case file and taking it to freaking court

Compliment Romo? DAK HATER! Compliment Dak? ROMO HATER! Compliment the Oline? YOU SAYING DAK CAN'T MAKE PLAYS?? HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!!!!

https://encrypted-tbn2.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwZxHfR-afoRhvSzeExg7XB6HKIVQclIRxV1YDbOZZ5WNujqOM

Maybe I was a little defensive for no reason but it's a National media guy asking if the rest of the QB's in the league are jealous.

I could go through every game this past Sunday and find 2 stills of their QB in a clean pocket.

conner01

Reaction score
Dak needs to buy some serious Christmas presents for these guys. Empty the bank account if he has to. 5 new Porsches ...
Lol
He was a 4th rnd pick
And those guys wouldn't fit in a Porsche
5 down payments on Escalades

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak has technique problems I agree.. Mostly with his footwork more than anything..

Still though... We're saying he is doing good when he is better protected.. That would go for any NFL QB.

I'm not under some illusion that he doesn't have flaws and that our OL doesn't hide some of those flaws. But you gotta give him credit for making plays, protecting the football, and consistently finding the open man.

As for Zeke... Yes the OL is blocking well but we are running a zone scheme so his vision is going to be put into play and he is reading the blocks at a high level and making great cuts off of those reads.

Has Zeke had some easy runs? Yes.. He sure has.. But I've seen him pick up 10 yards when there was only 2 several times.

I've seen Frederick get pushed back on 3rd and 1 and Zeke still manage to get those yards.

Our OL is great. I don't deny that or that our rookies are having a lot of success because of them. But our rookies are making plays that have nothing to do with good blocking at times.

Not all QBs mechanics go into the toilet when under pressure. In fact, that is one thing that delinates good from great in my mind.

Troy Aikman for example used to stand in under heavy pressure and routinely deliver strikes. He prided himself on it as well he should.

Dak right now is using new mechanics and specifically he does not look comfortable switching his hips back and forth in the pocket. When he rushes it he throws high and behind target regularly. He only recently started sailing balls and it hasn't cost him yet but if that trend continues it will.

It's a mechanic issue and nothing that cannot be remedied through diligent practice that I expect he will achieve but nonetheless it is something that good pressure defenses like SEA, DEN, and PHI can and will take advantage of in the playoffs.

zeke21

Reaction score
Not all QBs mechanics go into the toilet when under pressure. In fact, that is one thing that delinates good from great in my mind.

Troy Aikman for example used to stand in under heavy pressure and routinely deliver strikes. He prided himself on it as well he should.

Dak right now is using new mechanics and specifically he does not look comfortable switching his hips back and forth in the pocket. When he rushes it he throws high and behind target regularly. He only recently started sailing balls and it hasn't cost him yet but if that trend continues it will.

It's a mechanic issue and nothing that cannot be remedied through diligent practice that I expect he will achieve but nonetheless it is something that good pressure defenses like SEA, DEN, and PHI can and will take advantage of in the playoffs.
Unfortunately it seems to turn into a Dak vs Romo debate if you dare to mention anything about Dak's play. I agree that Dak needs to work on his mechanics and so far he has really struggled when under pressure.

His play has been really poor in the first half of multiple games. However he, like Zeke, really starts to benefit once the OL has worn down the D a little and they start to create some more room for both the rookies to operate. I don't think that undersells the amazing job Dak is doing right now.. but having a dominate OL and RB help a whole lot if you are Prescott.

From all reports Dak works very hard in the tape room and practise field.. so I have complete faith he will remedy any technical issues over time but he missed a lot of throws again against Ravens.. and I agree that will hurt the team at some point as we play the better D's and playoff pressure etc etc.