Image: Dak could take naps and get pedicures with this pass protection

JJHLH1

Reaction score
From all reports Dak works very hard in the tape room and practise field.. so I have complete faith he will remedy any technical issues over time but he missed a lot of throws again against Ravens.

Dak completed 75% of his passes against the Ravens. What do you consider an acceptable amount?

Craig

Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems to turn into a Dak vs Romo debate if you dare to mention anything about Dak's play. I agree that Dak needs to work on his mechanics and so far he has really struggled when under pressure.

His play has been really poor in the first half of multiple games. However he, like Zeke, really starts to benefit once the OL has worn down the D a little and they start to create some more room for both the rookies to operate. I don't think that undersells the amazing job Dak is doing right now.. but having a dominate OL and RB help a whole lot if you are Prescott.

From all reports Dak works very hard in the tape room and practise field.. so I have complete faith he will remedy any technical issues over time but he missed a lot of throws again against Ravens.. and I agree that will hurt the team at some point as we play the better D's and playoff pressure etc etc.
I do think it undersells what he does. He wouldnt be relevant if he didnt have a great oline. I dont understand why people get so bothered by things like this though. He DOES have a great oline so it doesnt matter if theyre propping him up. Its ok for the oline to be better than the qb at this point in time. The dream is to have a young qb learn to run a team with a workhorse back and days to go through progressions. When they need to lean on him in the future he'll be better for growing without the ptsd that someone like david carr got.

plymkr

Reaction score
They should create a MVG (most valuable group) award for these guys.
Pretty good idea, not give it out every year as an annual yearly award like OROTY or MVP, but when you have a group that dominates to the point that other teams are saying their great then give them the award. Like that time in '98 when Deion Sanders got the "prime time" award because he scored touchdowns from a KR, Int and offensive TD. They made up an award for him because he dominated the game so much. They only gave it to him and haven't given it out since then.

zeke21

Reaction score
Dak completed 75% of his passes against the Ravens. What do you consider an acceptable amount?
Second half was unbelievable. First half he went 13 of 21 which is good but at least five of those misses were passes that got away from Dak.

Again I'm not trying to knock Prescott but I think there is room for some imorovement... Which isn't a drama just an opinion.

plymkr

Reaction score
I thought it was 4... I hope it's 4.

Heck if I were a rookie i'd rather be drafted in the 4th round than the first round if I were betting on myself and if that 3 years is true.
Ok wait, so we have Dak under contract for 3 years or 4 years. Up until now I never paid too close attention to the contract status of draft picks after the first 2 rounds. So if it's a 3 year contract that means this season, 2017 and 2018 and we'd have to sign him to big money. So is he a FA in 2018 or 2019, I mean I know Jerry won't let him hit the open market but you get what I'm asking.

alicetooljam

Reaction score

Your post was right on time. Is it that hard to admit he didnt start well? And it happened to be the same time the Ravens were getting pressure?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Your post was right on time. Is it that hard to admit he didnt start well? And it happened to be the same time the Ravens were getting pressure?

I'm not sure what your point is. Dak's game against the Ravens was historic. It's only the 4th time since the 1970 merger that a rookie has thrown for 300 yards with 3 Pass TD and 0 Int. And he did it against the #1 defense. Criticizing Dak's performance in this game in particular is laughable. I don't get it.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems to turn into a Dak vs Romo debate if you dare to mention anything about Dak's play. I agree that Dak needs to work on his mechanics and so far he has really struggled when under pressure.

His play has been really poor in the first half of multiple games. However he, like Zeke, really starts to benefit once the OL has worn down the D a little and they start to create some more room for both the rookies to operate. I don't think that undersells the amazing job Dak is doing right now.. but having a dominate OL and RB help a whole lot if you are Prescott.

From all reports Dak works very hard in the tape room and practise field.. so I have complete faith he will remedy any technical issues over time but he missed a lot of throws again against Ravens.. and I agree that will hurt the team at some point as we play the better D's and playoff pressure etc etc.
Go pull up some tape from MSU vs bama, lsu, auburn, florida.......you can see all you want under pressure from Dak

plasticman

Reaction score
Okay, so why didn't all those quarterbacks last season get similar protection?

And why, so it seems, did Romo get similar protection in 2014 from the same guys?

Do these offensive linemen only play at an elite level every other year?

The answer is, in 2014 and now, defenses must respect the running game and it's potential for big plays. This comes from both the ERB and a more elusive QB. In 2015 defenses could pin their ears back and rush with reckless abandon, the Cowboys could not punish them with a big play running attack.

it is a symbiotic relationship, the backs and linemen make each other look better......or worse.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not all QBs mechanics go into the toilet when under pressure. In fact, that is one thing that delinates good from great in my mind.

Troy Aikman for example used to stand in under heavy pressure and routinely deliver strikes. He prided himself on it as well he should.

Dak right now is using new mechanics and specifically he does not look comfortable switching his hips back and forth in the pocket. When he rushes it he throws high and behind target regularly. He only recently started sailing balls and it hasn't cost him yet but if that trend continues it will.

It's a mechanic issue and nothing that cannot be remedied through diligent practice that I expect he will achieve but nonetheless it is something that good pressure defenses like SEA, DEN, and PHI can and will take advantage of in the playoffs.
In other words he's a rookie. He's currently under a microscope and we're all nitpicking every little thing he does. I've seen improvement each game so it's encouraging. He's playing better than any of us expected but we tend to forget that.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In other words he's a rookie. He's currently under a microscope and we're all nitpicking every little thing he does. I've seen improvement each game so it's encouraging. He's playing better than any of us expected but we tend to forget that.

I'm interested in winning Super Bowls which means beating the likes of Seattle, Philadephia, Denver, and New England. I have no doubt that he will improve but at least three of those teams can expose weakness right now. They certainly are not going to let up because he is a rookie.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your point is. Dak's game against the Ravens was historic. It's only the 4th time since the 1970 merger that a rookie has thrown for 300 yards with 3 Pass TD and 0 Int. And he did it against the #1 defense. Criticizing Dak's performance in this game in particular is laughable. I don't get it.

Because when you look at his throws during the first 5 drives while he was getting pressure he was consistently throwing behind receivers. I don't mind that as much as when he was throwing high because he was doing that too.

The protection improved which allowed him to settle down. You act like he was perfect and choosing some arbitrary macro concept to ignore the negatives he also displayed.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

So, in other words, to answer his question...yes, it is that hard for you to be intellectually honest about it.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Okay, so why didn't all those quarterbacks last season get similar protection?
They did, actually. They just weren't very good quarterbacks (with the exception of Romo when healthy). In 2015, Dallas' offensive line allowed 109 total pressures -- sacks, hits, and hurries -- which was by far the fewest in the league.

There's a misconception that clean pockets make all QB equal. Prescott's passer rating when not pressured currently ranks 3rd behind Brady and Ryan. IOW, this is not a case of Prescott simply having a lot of attempts without pressure and just being average. He's been very good.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The protection improved which allowed him to settle down. You act like he was perfect and choosing some arbitrary macro concept to ignore the negatives he also displayed.

Dak wasn't perfect. As far as I know no quarterback has ever had a perfect game. But apparently that is the standard by which he is being judged, which is the part I don't get.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'm interested in winning Super Bowls which means beating the likes of Seattle, Philadephia, Denver, and New England. I have no doubt that he will improve but at least three of those teams can expose weakness right now. They certainly are not going to let up because he is a rookie.

Poor Dak. The only player in the NFL with a weakness that teams can expose. We are doomed.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
So, in other words, to answer his question...yes, it is that hard for you to be intellectually honest about it.

If you are criticizing Dak's game against Baltimore you are trolling and it's hard to take you seriously. I just hope he continues to prepare and play well.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Dak wasn't perfect. As far as I know no quarterback has ever had a perfect game. But apparently that is the standard by which he is being judged, which is the part I don't get.

67.7% completion rate for the season isn't good enough. Dak has to be near 100% or his weaknesses will be exposed by other teams.