Video: "Dak does not suck". "Run game, Pass game too basic." -Chris Simms Unbuttoned

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Through 5 games our offense is averaging less than 2 TDs per game.

I don’t think the Chargers defense has to show up at all for us to suck.
Dak and the Cowboys will look like world beaters between the 20’s cuz the Chargers will let you have that area.

Comes down to redzone scoring and if the Cowboys can get it done, many will gloss over the 9ers game as being one bad game.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Why does it look like Simms commandeered a hospital waiting area to hold a podcast?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
If he could read a defense he could change the play at the line.
If he could take a snap under center and throw a pass(outside of play-action) the scheme wouldn't be so predictable.
If he could not turn the ball over the other team wouldn't have as many chances to score.

If he was a functional NFL QB we wouldn't be having this discussion.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
You have all the common talking points covered to place blame solely on the QB and shift away from my point, which is hilarious considering the offense was a powerhouse under Moore. :laugh:
A powerhouse based on what metric sir? Pure stats don't really bear out anything apart from they scored x in a 17 game season. But at some point you need to ask - hey an offense that potent - if it was really that potent how exactly does it score 12 points against the 49-ers. How does that happen? Am I to understand that this "potent offensive" juggernaut couldn't muster up more than 12 points when the 49-er offense scored 19?
Across multiple OC's the constant executing the offense has been the QB. How do you not look at it and simply ignore what you are getting from that position? Especially in games where the opponent has basically stated over and over again that they are going to make the QB beat them with his arm. Bottom line is that there is no OC anywhere including the vaunted Kyle Shannahan that can device an offense to make a limited QB look good. He might be able to emulate what Moore did against bad teams and just amass stats. But rest assured you are not winning anything with that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It's mind blowing to me when I see the Cowboys defense continually get smoked by movement at the LOS, crossing routes and misdirection plays, yet the Cowboys offense deploys very little or none of that.

They went from not able to get over the Division Game hump to fallen into the abyss.
I wonder why we don’t at least use motion. Even if you have a WR run across and run right back to original spot. It’s tells Dak alot about the coverage.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
A powerhouse based on what metric sir? Pure stats don't really bear out anything apart from they scored x in a 17 game season. But at some point you need to ask - hey an offense that potent - if it was really that potent how exactly does it score 12 points against the 49-ers. How does that happen? Am I to understand that this "potent offensive" juggernaut couldn't muster up more than 12 points when the 49-er offense scored 19?
Across multiple OC's the constant executing the offense has been the QB. How do you not look at it and simply ignore what you are getting from that position? Especially in games where the opponent has basically stated over and over again that they are going to make the QB beat them with his arm. Bottom line is that there is no OC anywhere including the vaunted Kyle Shannahan that can device an offense to make a limited QB look good. He might be able to emulate what Moore did against bad teams and just amass stats. But rest assured you are not winning anything with that.
:facepalm:

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
You have all the common talking points covered to place blame solely on the QB and shift away from my point, which is hilarious considering the offense was a powerhouse under Moore. :laugh:
seems like were doing the same as last year
30-40+ points against scrubs
10-12 points against good teams like the niners, which still averages out to a good offense which is why its a terrible metric to off of.

For example:
Big macs texas toast offense in PPG is higher than the chiefs so does that mean were better than them?

Tommy

Reaction score
Has there ever been another player in NFL history that has been held back by coaching as much as Dak Prescott has?

At some point you have to stop blaming everyone else's play call and play designs as Dak's problem.

If there is any chance of this team winning anything its going to have to be because the rest of the team (running game, blocking, defense) play lights out and Dak just enjoys the ride.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Orlovsky and every other analyst is showing the same basic, riduculous play calling we have. No motion, no nothing as if MM is scared to put Dak in any situation not suited for a QB

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Dak is to blame as much as the play design. My biggest issue is his inability to move out of the pocket. He was a much better QB when he moved and scrambled when needed. Not sure why he acts like he has concrete cinder blocks strapped to his feet? If you’re a player, make a play anyway possible. He was that way before the injury.

Sage3030

Reaction score
seems like were doing the same as last year
30-40+ points against scrubs
10-12 points against good teams like the niners, which still averages out to a good offense which is why its a terrible metric to off of.

For example:
Big macs texas toast offense in PPG is higher than the chiefs so does that mean were better than them?

But we didn’t do that last year. We were 6-4 against playoff teams(if you count the playoffs themselves). Scored less than 20 three times. In the playoffs against San Fran, the first loss to the Eagles with Cooper Rush at the helm(with Dak we hung 40 on them), and the first game of the season against the Bucs(who we whooped in the playoffs 31-14).

Creeper

Reaction score
Not a big fan of Simms but every time I watch more video of the Cowboys offnese it looks to me like DBs know where our receivers are going. They seem to diagnose the play faster than Dak sees the defense. So there may be something to the idea that the offense is too basic.

I think Simms is right that the Cowboys passing game look shorter than in the past. It is hard to say if that is Dak checking down or all play design, but against SF they threw deep at least 5 times that I recall and Dak only threw 24 passes. So 5 deep balls was a good percentage.

Overall, I thought the game plan was bad. SF has two really good LBs and running left and right is not going to work well against them. The Cowboys were getting more yards running right at the LBs, not crazy yards, but not losses either. Running at the middle of the defense negates their speed to the outside the way SF ran at Micah taking away his speed in pursuit.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It's mind blowing to me when I see the Cowboys defense continually get smoked by movement at the LOS, crossing routes and misdirection plays, yet the Cowboys offense deploys very little or none of that.

They went from not able to get over the Division Game hump to fallen into the abyss.
They showed a graph during the game of the top 5 teams in terms of the use of motion. It was pretty telling that it was pretty much the top team in the league. I can't remember all 5 but Miami, KC, and Philly were all in it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Kurt Warner posted a 5-minute video on YouTube critiquing the design of one of our plays, and it looked bad.
1. WR Dak was looking directly at was open, irrespective of the short-side WRs breaking at the same distance.
2. On the INT, Dak automatically assumed by looking left, he pulled the LB towards that side. He then turned right and immediately went to his outside WR, not even breaking his throwing motion. The problem was, the LB was staring at him the whole time, meaning he easily watched where Dak was going and jumped the route. It was the same bad habit that Dak exemplified last year regarding his pick 6s. Staring down his WRs.

So yeah, the play-design may have been simple, it was still Dak's fault.

Last edited: