Video: Dak doesn’t deserve long term deal until SB win

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There will be more Daks in coming Draft. No reason to break the team over him. I want Dak as QB but he has not earned highest pay in NFL, yet.
Sure there will be some Dak's in coming drafts, but maybe not next year, and probably not outside of the top 10 picks, and certainly not in abundance such that it's easy to wait for one to fall in our laps. There are a lot more QBs like Blaine Gabbart and EJ Manual that get drafted than players like Dak Prescott.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You proved you have no knowledge of contracts in the NFL. There are no escalation clauses in rookie contracts. There is no way the Cowboys or any team can just raise contract amounts on a rookie contract after it's signed. They can't modify the rookie contract after the rookie season and are only able to extend their contract after the 3rd year. Now the Cowboys didn't force Prescott to play the entire 4th year on his rookie contract. In fact the cowboys just before week 1 last season made an offer that Prescott rejected and then told the Cowboys that he WOULD NOT negotiate during the season so he can concentrate on the game. Things may not be going as you want them to but what you think is the way it is, is very far from what things are in reality.
Thanks. You're only like the 4th person that's told me that and I've conceded I was wrong but thanks for beating a dead horse.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Thanks. You're only like the 4th person that's told me that and I've conceded I was wrong but thanks for beating a dead horse.

When you're so far off base on something you should expect a number of people to call you out on it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Just keep kicking that dead horse. :rolleyes:

Hey I just explained why multiple people made some comments about yours and if you want to keep referring to yourself as a dead horse, knock your socks off.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hey I just explained why multiple people made some comments about yours and if you want to keep referring to yourself as a dead horse, knock your socks off.
The difference is they corrected me and moved on while you continue to make your point over and over again in multiple posts. It's like you want to savor this moment because you never know when the next opportunity might arise for you to correct someone. I was wrong, I got corrected, I accept that. It's not a big deal. But your obsession with my folly lingers on for some creepy reason. Are you some kind of pervert that gets off on correcting people? That seems to be what's going on here. You are getting your jollies off by correcting me. I didn't have my facts right but you turned it into your chance to indulge in your guilty pleasure of bullying someone. Did you enjoy yourself? Did it make you feel like a big man? No one likes a bully, so move along. I got my facts wrong about rookie contracts. For that you bully me? You are the one that's more wrong here. Move on, pervert.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The difference is they corrected me and moved on while you continue to make your point over and over again in multiple posts. It's like you want to savor this moment because you never know when the next opportunity might arise for you to correct someone. I was wrong, I got corrected, I accept that. It's not a big deal. But your obsession with my folly lingers on for some creepy reason. Are you some kind of pervert that gets off on correcting people? That seems to be what's going on here. You are getting your jollies off by correcting me. I didn't have my facts right but you turned it into your chance to indulge in your guilty pleasure of bullying someone. Did you enjoy yourself? Did it make you feel like a big man? No one likes a bully, so move along. I got my facts wrong about rookie contracts. For that you bully me? You are the one that's more wrong here. Move on, pervert.

Do what you want. The ONLY one to keep bringing this up is YOU. It's almost like you want this to keep going. Oh and you want to be childish and name calling there are dozens that can be used on you. Don't push it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Do what you want. The ONLY one to keep bringing this up is YOU. It's almost like you want this to keep going. Oh and you want to be childish and name calling there are dozens that can be used on you. Don't push it.
Good lord, dude. He admitted he was wrong. *** is wrong with you?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Excuse me. But what was Romo doing his 1st 3 years in the NFL? What did Dak Prescott do in his 1st 3 years? I rest my case. They are not the same. Division II is much different that the SEC in college. You are what you are.

If that is Stephen Jones GM thinking that elite money is not deserving of a 3 time Pro Bowl, 2 time Playoff with a playoff win QB in his 1st 4 years doing it with an idiot coach like Jason Garrett, he is just as much a DUMBO GM as Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

This comment, is it really about D1 and SEC or is it more about Bill Parcells and Jason Garrett? Truth is, it wouldn't have mattered who the QB was or where he played college ball under Parcells. That rookie QB would not have started, no matter what. In the case of Garrett, because we were so ill prepared, we were forced to start the third string QB, who was Dak in his rookie year.

I don't think you can honestly make the comparison between Tony and Dak in this way. HC matters in that situation. Tony was never ever going to get a chance to do what Dak did because Parcells was never going to allow it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Let me ask a couple of questions. Do you think and/or agree that the contracts and market value of QB's goes up every year?

In general, I would agree that this is the trend.

Do you think it is right to compare the contract amounts and market values of QB's from previous year's smaller caps to current larger cap amounts.

What's right? Well, I don't think it's wrong to compare any and all available data, when discussing financial decisions as an organization. Perhaps the question is too broad? I feel as if you are trying to lead me somewhere but the question is to general?

If you answered yes to the last question then you can't agree that contract amounts and market value go up every year.

Why not? Why can't you agree to this and still believe that it's important to compare empirical data? I don't understand that.

Most players coming off their rookie contracts get the amount they get based to 2 things. What they have already done and what the team feels strongly that they can do in the future. Unfortunately for the fans, what the fans think that QB has done or will be able to do doesn't enter into the contract negotiations. We may wish it does, but it doesn't.

I think there is much more that goes into it then just those two factors. I don't kid myself about what fan opinions mean to owners. I've seen this franchise make to many bad decisions, in terms of contracts over the years to believe that. However, I've also seen this team make a lot of bad decision that were also supported by the fans so one is not mutually exclusive to the other, so to speak.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
In general, I would agree that this is the trend.

What's right? Well, I don't think it's wrong to compare any and all available data, when discussing financial decisions as an organization. Perhaps the question is too broad? I feel as if you are trying to lead me somewhere but the question is to general?

Why not? Why can't you agree to this and still believe that it's important to compare empirical data? I don't understand that.

I think there is much more that goes into it then just those two factors. I don't kid myself about what fan opinions mean to owners. I've seen this franchise make to many bad decisions, in terms of contracts over the years to believe that. However, I've also seen this team make a lot of bad decision that were also supported by the fans so one is not mutually exclusive to the other, so to speak.

I'll just say that every year players get more than his peers did the previous years when cap limits were lower and for people to think that it's not going to happen with Prescott is just not even trying to look at things realistically.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'll just say that every year players get more than his peers did the previous years when cap limits were lower and for people to think that it's not going to happen with Prescott is just not even trying to look at things realistically.

And every year, some players get less. In fact, most get less. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions here. For example, thinking that "people think that it's not going to happen with Prescott". What do you mean by this?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And every year, some players get less. In fact, most get less. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions here. For example, thinking that "people think that it's not going to happen with Prescott". What do you mean by this?

Yes some players make less but lets stick to apples and apples. Yes some players at the end of their careers get less than up and coming stars. Yes backup players make less than starters. But what you're calling less is still more. Those backup players make more than what backup players made the year before and the year before that one and so on. There are 2 reasons why the cost of contracts goes up every year. First the market value rises every year and the other reason is why the market value rises every year. Each year as the cap goes up the percentage doesn't change on how much of the cap teams must spend, but the dollar amount does go up. The players and their agents know this and it is why they start the negotiations at higher amount every year.

To answer your " For example, thinking that "people think that it's not going to happen with Prescott". What do you mean by this?", it's very simple. There are some people or users here that think and seem so sure that because they believe the speculation about Prescott and his agent are demanding 40 mil a year that they Cowboys will not give in to this and let Prescott sit or some even actually think they'll just let him walk after the season. Those users refuse to accept that there will be a contract signed at some point. Many of those same users also think that a QB that got fired or cut, whichever word you want to use, in favor of a college QB that has taken zero snaps in the NFL and the Cowboys got for only 3 mil for ONE season and when signing this contract acknowledged and agreed to be the backup QB will then lead the Cowboys on to win because they already determined that Prescott will not be there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes some players make less but lets stick to apples and apples. Yes some players at the end of their careers get less than up and coming stars. Yes backup players make less than starters. But what you're calling less is still more. Those backup players make more than what backup players made the year before and the year before that one and so on. There are 2 reasons why the cost of contracts goes up every year. First the market value rises every year and the other reason is why the market value rises every year. Each year as the cap goes up the percentage doesn't change on how much of the cap teams must spend, but the dollar amount does go up. The players and their agents know this and it is why they start the negotiations at higher amount every year.

To answer your " For example, thinking that "people think that it's not going to happen with Prescott". What do you mean by this?", it's very simple. There are some people or users here that think and seem so sure that because they believe the speculation about Prescott and his agent are demanding 40 mil a year that they Cowboys will not give in to this and let Prescott sit or some even actually think they'll just let him walk after the season. Those users refuse to accept that there will be a contract signed at some point. Many of those same users also think that a QB that got fired or cut, whichever word you want to use, in favor of a college QB that has taken zero snaps in the NFL and the Cowboys got for only 3 mil for ONE season and when signing this contract acknowledged and agreed to be the backup QB will then lead the Cowboys on to win because they already determined that Prescott will not be there.

Well see, this is why I said that you seem to be making assumptions. All of this second part of your post is assumption. Some people think the world is flat too. Some people think the Moon landings are a hoax, some believe other things but that doesn't represent the majority. However, I will admit that I am skeptical he gets 40 and I would not be surprised to see him sit games. I would not be surprised to see Dalton perform well behind this OL, with these weapons. I don't see the Cowboys allowing him to just walk away but I would not be shocked to see them trade Prescott is they believed they could get a nice trade worked out. Again, if the Cowboys could position themselves to trade up to the top of the draft next year, the prize is Trevor Lawrence. That's significant. So yeah, in a nut shell, I can see a lot of different things happening but my guess is that the Cowboys don't move off their existing offer. I think that whatever happens is going to be a result of what Dak decides to do because I don't believe he's getting more then what's on the table now.

Market value goes up but that doesn't mean you must pay any given player top money. That's written anywhere. Mahomes, he will get it. Dak, he won't IMO. Still in all, the offer he's reportedly received is a good one and it's more then fair. I think he'd be foolish not to take it but if he doesn't, I think you see the team move on with Dalton and if he does well, then I would not be surprised to see Prescott receive an offer that isn't even as good as what's on the table now. If he doesn't, then I think the team probably explores the idea of redesignating him in 2021 and see if a trade can be made or going back to the table. The way I see it, the team really doesn't have anything to lose. If they just stand pat this year and ride the tag, they save money. If they force CAA and Dak to come to the table, they save a lot of money and gain a lot of very important cap leverage. If they move on with a Trevor, they get a more talented young QB under a rookie deal for 5 years and have an even brighter future for the core of this team. If they have to raise the offer and accept the shorter term contract then they have the option to just do 3 years, which is really what Dak wants anyway and that provides enough time for the Cowboys to find a replacement. That option would be expensive and I doubt anybody in the organization would like that much but at that point, I think Jerry is no longer running the team and then this is a negotiation with Stephen and I don't ever see Stephen agreeing to be held over a barrel by Dak or CAA. He will move on, IMO.

So that's kinda how I see it but the whole Apples to Apples thing, not so much.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Well see, this is why I said that you seem to be making assumptions. All of this second part of your post is assumption. Some people think the world is flat too. Some people think the Moon landings are a hoax, some believe other things but that doesn't represent the majority. However, I will admit that I am skeptical he gets 40 and I would not be surprised to see him sit games. I would not be surprised to see Dalton perform well behind this OL, with these weapons. I don't see the Cowboys allowing him to just walk away but I would not be shocked to see them trade Prescott is they believed they could get a nice trade worked out. Again, if the Cowboys could position themselves to trade up to the top of the draft next year, the prize is Trevor Lawrence. That's significant. So yeah, in a nut shell, I can see a lot of different things happening but my guess is that the Cowboys don't move off their existing offer. I think that whatever happens is going to be a result of what Dak decides to do because I don't believe he's getting more then what's on the table now.

Market value goes up but that doesn't mean you must pay any given player top money. That's written anywhere. Mahomes, he will get it. Dak, he won't IMO. Still in all, the offer he's reportedly received is a good one and it's more then fair. I think he'd be foolish not to take it but if he doesn't, I think you see the team move on with Dalton and if he does well, then I would not be surprised to see Prescott receive an offer that isn't even as good as what's on the table now. If he doesn't, then I think the team probably explores the idea of redesignating him in 2021 and see if a trade can be made or going back to the table. The way I see it, the team really doesn't have anything to lose. If they just stand pat this year and ride the tag, they save money. If they force CAA and Dak to come to the table, they save a lot of money and gain a lot of very important cap leverage. If they move on with a Trevor, they get a more talented young QB under a rookie deal for 5 years and have an even brighter future for the core of this team. If they have to raise the offer and accept the shorter term contract then they have the option to just do 3 years, which is really what Dak wants anyway and that provides enough time for the Cowboys to find a replacement. That option would be expensive and I doubt anybody in the organization would like that much but at that point, I think Jerry is no longer running the team and then this is a negotiation with Stephen and I don't ever see Stephen agreeing to be held over a barrel by Dak or CAA. He will move on, IMO.

So that's kinda how I see it but the whole Apples to Apples thing, not so much.

For someone who claims I make assumptions, you have painted quite a few assumptions and faulty guesswork. I'll say you also have a reading or comprehension problem. I'll quote you "but that doesn't represent the majority". At no time did I say or imply the majority when I spoke about the people or users that believe the speculative contract amounts bandied about by sportswriters and insiders and their answers to the Prescott situation. I used the word SOME. I've never heard of anyone who equates some with the majority expect now you.

Your first assumption is based on what you believe Prescott's skills are, not what the coaches beliefs are, and you would not be surprised if Prescott sits for some games. Now going into a season when the coaches have stated several times publicly that Prescott is their QB for now and into the future, then they are going to bench Prescott. Then doing so with the thought that they would rather go with a QB that just got fired as a starting QB and was signed as a 1 year insurance policy as a backup QB and who has publicly stated he has accepted being a backup QB. Awful big assumptions there.

The next flaw is thinking there is any chance that the Cowboys would trade Prescott anytime this season. First he can't get traded until he either signs a contract or the tag and doing either will keep Prescott as the QB the Cowboys want. Now if you're thinking trading Prescott after the season is over and Prescott only signed the tag that would mean that the Cowboys have to sign him again with a tag to trade him. The second tag would pay Prescott 37 mil Now if your assessment of Prescott is accurate (I don't think so) then the other 31 GM's would know this too and they are going to trade for that QB that you and they have assessed and pay him 37 mil? Now you could say that the new team could give him a new contract but would someone who went to college take a contract that will pay him less that what he is guaranteed on the tag? Especially if the team that traded for him was a bad team or had average at best targets for him and a lot weaker line? This pretty much destroys any trade idea and they won't just let him walk.

Now it has been reported that Stephen has been doing most of the contract negotiating but you're only fooling yourself if you think that if Jerry wants Prescott and he's has publicly said that several times the past several weeks, that he wouldn't tell Stephen to do the contract.

Another false assumption on your part is to think that if a contract isn't worked out by July 15 that Prescott will not sign the tag offer. You also believe that Prescott won't report if past July 15 and has to sign the tag offer. If he does sign it and not report he won't get paid AND because of the new CBA fines CAN NOT be forgiven so that's money he's losing. Now most people in the sporting world believe Prescott is a smart guy and that he knows that by not reporting he'll lose money that he will never be able to recoup. He also knows what happened to Bell and how he lost all of his endorsements when he sat out so there won't be that money coming in either.

Now this is my opinion but I seriously don't think the Cowboys have any plans to have another QB even if they only get him signed for 3 years especially if the Cowboys go to the playoffs this season and would have to spend so much draft capital to move up to draft another QB in the first round. This si just my guess but I think their 1st round pick in the next draft will be to replace Tyron Smith who has been injured the past couple of seasons, one of which is a back injury.and those shorten careers.

You're under this mistaken idea that market value is set by the best players at each position from previous years. Every year there is a new market value and not every year are the best players at every position getting new contracts. The market value is set by those who's contracts are getting done. If a player gets the biggest contract, even bigger than players thought to be better but sign in previous years, all that means is that any player who the GM's believe are better than that player negotiating a contract that year will get more and those thought to be not as good will get less.

Now both of us have expressed opinions but many of mine have been backed up by things reported with direct quotes from those involved. The ones on Prescott playing on the tag and market values is just opinion. Now whether or not you say you are a Prescott fan, from what you say it's clear that you are looking for ways for the Cowboys to not have Prescott.

Are opinions differ and my guess they always will on this.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jerry and McClay should make Dak play under the franchise tag and make him prove that he is worth big contract by winning a SB. No excuses. DO NOT CAVE IN.

I enjoy your silliness.
At least you're fun.