Video: Dak had most drops in league

Ken

Reaction score
On the heels of the thread where he was 2nd in the league in 3rd down completion % comes the lead the league in drops. If one of them is held onto...he is the cowboys all time single season passing leader. If they catch half of those drops...we are in the playoffs and win the division.

Discuss...

Wood

Reaction score
On the heels of the thread where he was 2nd in the league in 3rd down completion % comes the lead the league in drops. If one of them is held onto...he is the cowboys all time single season passing leader. If they catch half of those drops...we are in the playoffs and win the division.

Discuss...

I have Dak barely in top 12 QB and he is asking for #1 money. In other words, Houston we have a problem.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Discuss...

No, he’s inaccurate and chokes in big games

We should draft Pat Mahomes in the fourth round this year.

Well, maybe not him but all-pro QBs would be easy to find if Jerry let me run his draft.

I’d get a new one every year.

I’d completely tear the team down after each off season but I’m sure that with anyone but Dak, Super Bowls would be falling out of the sky.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Drops were an issue last year, and yes there were some obvious ones by receivers, but i would be curious to see what the rest of the list looked like for context. Does the average QB see 45 a year or 25 per year? Also what is being considered an accurate pass for this statistic?

I don't mean this to be anti Dak, i'm just not sure that he was a victim of his receiving corp.

You will have a much stronger argument if you delete the video. A lot of those 51 "accurate passes" caused receivers to leave their feet, change direction, and avoid defenders while attempting to catch.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Drops were an issue last year, and yes there were some obvious ones by receivers, but i would be curious to see what the rest of the list looked like for context. Does the average QB see 45 a year or 25 per year? Also what is being considered an accurate pass for this statistic?

I don't mean this to be anti Dak, i'm just not sure that he was a victim of his receiving corp.

You will have a much stronger argument if you delete the video. A lot of those 51 "accurate passes" caused receivers to leave their feet, change direction, and avoid defenders while attempting to catch.
God forbid if you have to jump or turn to catch the ball. After all, I’m a professional receiver who isn’t getting paid millions to jump and turn.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Per Pro Football Reference, Dak 1st in drops, 2nd highest percentage of drops. You can compare all QBs here.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I agree, but Dak is still at the top of Pro Football Reference for drops too.

As long as whoever does the stats does it consistently, top should be pretty consistent.
It'd be interesting to see a conparison of the % of drops that were bad passes. But, that's subjective and we'd need 30 more videos like this one.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Per Pro Football Reference, Dak 1st in drops, 2nd highest percentage of drops. You can compare all QBs here.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

Thanks for this, ill have to dig into it a bit deeper. At first glance this link is showing 36 drops compared to the 51 in the original post. Based on the video that was posted i'm going to assume the 36 is pretty accurate. Still most in the league, about 10 more per year than the average QB. Kind of interesting looking at the drop %, on target %, and bad throw %. First glace seems to indicate that Dak is among the top QBs in the league based on his ranking, but it seems very odd to me with some of the other names at the top and bottom of those same lists.

Top 5 drop percentage
1) Josh Allen 7.2%
2) Dak Prescott 6.2%
3) Jimmy G 6.0%
4) Joe Flacco 6.0%
5) Kyle Allen 6.0%

Bottom 5 drop percentage
1) Matt Ryan 2.9%
2) Matt Stafford 3.2%
3) Ryan Tannehill 3.3%
4) Kyler Murray 3.3%
5) Russell Wilson 3.4%

Bad throw percentage bottom 5
1) Aaron Rodgers 21.2%
2) Matt Stafford 20.8%
3) Tom Brady 20.6%
4) Jameis Winson 20.6%
5) Josh Allen 20.3%

Bad throw percentage top 5
1) Drew Brees 10.7%
2) Derek Carr 11%
3) Ryan Tannehill 12.6%
4) Jimmy G 13.7%
5) Matt Ryan 14.6%
6) Dak Prescott 14.8%

On Target percentage top 5
1) Drew Brees 84.1%
2) Derek Carr 82.6%
3) Ryan Tannehill 80.9%
4) Jimmy G 80.7%
5) Kirk Cousins 79%
7) Dak Prescott 77.6%

On Target percentage bottom 5
1) Jameis Winston 69.9%
2) Baker Mayfield 70.6%
3) Matt Stafford 70.8%
4) Dan Jones 71.1%
5) Mason Rudolph 71.4%

I would have thought these would be good indicators of team/qb success, but really the players on each list are all over the place, aside from the bottom 5 on target %.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
'
God forbid if you have to jump or turn to catch the ball. After all, I’m a professional receiver who isn’t getting paid millions to jump and turn.
You can use that same argument for every position...

"Getting paid millions to throw a football, they should hit em in the chest every time!"

"Getting paid millions and all you do is kick....should make it every time!"

"Professional athlete getting paid millions...just make a tackle!"

These guys should be able to make tough catches, I agree, but they are human beings no matter how much they are getting paid and will never be 100% successful. They are also playing against equal competition that is looking to defend those same passes, so naturally ones that require a player to leave his feet, change direction, or brace for impact at the same time as catching the ball is going to be a lower completion %. We are not talking about every pass, just a select 51.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Whether you leave your feet or not...if you have two hands on the football....you have to consider that a drop.