Video: Dak had most drops in league

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Whether you leave your feet or not...if you have two hands on the football....you have to consider that a drop.
Most of the time I would agree, I'm just struggling with the stat of 51 drops. I look at that video and I see a few questionable drops. At 55 seconds for example that was a clear over throw. I mean the receiver physically touched the ball, but was fully extended and never really had a chance at the catch.

When i look up the number of drops other sites are recording for the cowboys i see everything from 51 to 26. The true number of drops credited to the receivers is probably somewhere in between.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Drops were an issue last year, and yes there were some obvious ones by receivers, but i would be curious to see what the rest of the list looked like for context. Does the average QB see 45 a year or 25 per year? Also what is being considered an accurate pass for this statistic?

I don't mean this to be anti Dak, i'm just not sure that he was a victim of his receiving corp.

You will have a much stronger argument if you delete the video. A lot of those 51 "accurate passes" caused receivers to leave their feet, change direction, and avoid defenders while attempting to catch.
You might want to actually check out the guys twitter account. I think you’ll dig it.

i mean, his entire thing is “QB Data Mine”

He’s a statistics guy from the real definition, not the term so loosely thrown around. Like real, honest to god math ... and stuff.

The criteria used to determine what is and is not an “accurate pass” isn’t just something applied to Dak for this one video, it’s the underpinning of his entire work.

It’s really quite fascinating and a rabbit hole worth diving into. He’s a terrific follow if you like the nitty gritty of QB play.

I’ve linked a tweet that is pretty straightforward and is likely in line with what you are looking for.

Also linking some other Dak data from the guy.

I’ve also linked one about Wentz that I’m particularly fond of. =D

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Based on the chart w/the colored lines, it seems Dak needs to improve his "underneath" passes (or those short of the LBs.) They're ones that must be delivered quickly. Perhaps McCarthy will see fit to drill him on that. It might help to give it a try . . . sure wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It'd be interesting to see a conparison of the % of drops that were bad passes. But, that's subjective and we'd need 30 more videos like this one.

PFR has a play index search, but it doesn't look like they all searching for drops. .

If you're really gungho, I think they have an API to their site too. I assume that allows the most detailed data access.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
On the heels of the thread where he was 2nd in the league in 3rd down completion % comes the lead the league in drops. If one of them is held onto...he is the cowboys all time single season passing leader. If they catch half of those drops...we are in the playoffs and win the division.

Discuss...

Thank you so much for sharing this video clip and other supporting data. It proves Dak was not the problem. It was as my eyes had seen all season long......a group of WRs who led the league in drops by far. Such horrible dropped passes by this group of WRs. Look at how many drive killers those drops were? Cowboys could have easily won 3-4 games more while Dak easily could have passed for over 5,100+ yards with at least a 70+% completions rate had those bumbling WRs caught half of their league leading 51 dropped passes.

"OH, you're just a Dak slobberer! Oh, you are a fan of Dak, NOT the Cowboys! ... etc, etc, etc" What a bunch of blind, Dak hating tools. Come on...man up and admit you've been wrong. Sure, Dak has missed on some throws, just like every QB does, but Dak has wrongly been accused of being a poor passer thanks to video like this that prove his receivers were just terrible.

LEAGUE LEADERS IN DROPS (51)! Think about that. That's a lot. Like someone said in the Twitter comments: Dak's completions % was at 76% for the first 7 games where Dak was leading all QBs and playing at an MVP level. Then for the last 9 games, his completions % dropped to a poor 59.4% during the same last 9 games where a majority of them were lost by close scores. All thanks to so many drops. Cowboys easily should have won 3+ more games, won the division and been in the playoffs had our receivers completed half of their dropped passes.

Oh, well, I doubt those anti-Dakers will admit they were wrong. Hope Dak keeps improving as he showed this past season, but our WRs must perform much better if this team expects to become a playoff team.

Hardline

Reaction score
In the future, please save us all some time and simply say, “I don’t understand how the market works.”
You don't pay filet minion money for pork chops.
Thats how the market works.

Hardline

Reaction score
You're still admitting you don't know how the market works. It's a bad look.
It's a bad look over paying what the market dictates. The market says a middle of the road product shouldnt cost what a top quality product does.
Dak isn't worth top QB money and the only way he gets it is if Jerry wants to pay filet minion money for pork chops.
I'm a free market capitalist. I know how the market works.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's a bad look over paying what the market dictates. The market says a middle of the road product shouldnt cost what a top quality product does.
Dak isn't worth top QB money and the only way he gets it is if Jerry wants to pay filet minion money for pork chops.
I'm a free market capitalist. I know how the market works.

1. Dak isn't an average QB as you claim.
2. Dak is worth top dollar or else we wouldn't be in this bind. The fact you keep digging yourself into a deeper hole by thinking he isn't worth top dollar is pretty damning towards you. A top QB, who is only 26 years old, didn't sign an early extension is about as close to filet mignon*(it's not filet minion LMAO) as it gets.
3. You can call yourself whatever you want, but we all know what you really are and that word would be ignorant.

Hardline

Reaction score
1. Dak isn't an average QB as you claim.
2. Dak is worth top dollar or else we wouldn't be in this bind. The fact you keep digging yourself into a deeper hole by thinking he isn't worth top dollar is pretty damning towards you. A top QB, who is only 26 years old, didn't sign an early extension is about as close to filet mignon*(it's not filet minion LMAO) as it gets.
3. You can call yourself whatever you want, but we all know what you really are and that word would be ignorant.
You truly believe Dak is a top QB when the stats say different. Until you realize that I can't explain it to you further.
I can lead you to water but I can't make you drink.
You simply don't understand free market forces.
Sure Dak's going to get paid because the owner thinks his Chevy is worth more than the Cadillac that got signed before him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You truly believe Dak is a top QB when the stats say different. Until you realize that I can't explain it to you further.
Sure Dak's going to get paid because the owner thinks his Chevy is worth more than the Cadillac that got signed before him.

What stats says different?
Outside of EPA, QBR, QB rating?

Where are these stats?

I'm trying to make you smarter so you can know how to spell words correctly and talk football correctly, but you might be too far gone.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
'
You can use that same argument for every position...

"Getting paid millions to throw a football, they should hit em in the chest every time!"

"Getting paid millions and all you do is kick....should make it every time!"

"Professional athlete getting paid millions...just make a tackle!"

These guys should be able to make tough catches, I agree, but they are human beings no matter how much they are getting paid and will never be 100% successful. They are also playing against equal competition that is looking to defend those same passes, so naturally ones that require a player to leave his feet, change direction, or brace for impact at the same time as catching the ball is going to be a lower completion %. We are not talking about every pass, just a select 51.
Everyone of those balls were catchable. Now I'm not saying they should've caught 100% of the balls, but how about 3/4 of them, that puts us in the play offs. Now watch a MM coached team, you will NOT see that many drops.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You were replying every two mins, seems it's taking you much longer now since you can't find stats to support your narrative.

jay94

Reaction score
Based on the qb market he is easily worth 25 mil plus, it seems like he is going for that 40 mil ball park though. Dak was great last year, before this year no where close. His defense was terrible, Zeke like always was overrated.