Dak has ruined this team

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Think about all that we’ve given up for this teams buy in with him

-cap hell for the next decade

-losing out on good players and free agents

-he’s about to get his second coach fired next year

-the 2016 decision to go with him over Romo leading to a first round exit

-squandering the best cowboys team in 20 years with another first round exit due to poor qb play

-cutting or trading players who don’t get along with Dak or we just can’t simply afford them anymore

Think about the following qb option we had the last 2 years

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Dashaun Watson
5. Matt Stafford

And Dak makes more money than all of them. I know this isn’t all predicated on Dak but it’s kind of hard not to feel that we’ve been cheated out of something since we signed him to this ridiculous deal

I was worried that Dak's 40 mil deal would cap-strap us. And it has. It's the reason we couldn't keep Amari Cooper and had to trade him for peanuts. We got a 5th for Coop because we had to unload his contract. We used a 1st to get him, and gave him away for a 5th. Did we at least get a back rub too? It's why I wish Jones had played hardball with Dak, keeping him to no more than 25 mil. If no one else had signed him, he would have had to have taken it. If someone else signed him, then you sign a stop-gap veteran QB and draft one as well. I'd rather have 25-mil Dak and Amari Cooper or Mac Jones and Amari Cooper.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was worried that Dak's 40 mil deal would cap-strap us. And it has. It's the reason we couldn't keep Amari Cooper and had to trade him for peanuts. We got a 5th for Coop because we had to unload his contract. We used a 1st to get him, and gave him away for a 5th. Did we at least get a back rub too? It's why I wish Jones had played hardball with Dak, keeping him to no more than 25 mil. If no one else had signed him, he would have had to have taken it. If someone else signed him, then you sign a stop-gap veteran QB and draft one as well. I'd rather have 25-mil Dak and Amari Cooper or Mac Jones and Amari Cooper.
whhhaattt...Dak's cap hit last year was 17M....Cooper was 12M....Dak's cap hit this year reduced to 19M....cooper was 22M....if cowboys really wanted to keep cooper, they could have reduced his cap hi via a bonus and perhaps have him cost about 10-15M this year....they did the same with Lawrence and reduced his cap hit from 27M to 14M.

not keeping cooper had nothing to do with Dak's cap hit.

we got a 5th because we didn't want to restructure his deal and pay, then trade him...we got a 5th because Browns were willing to take his salary off our hand.

why we didn't keep him is beyond me but had nothing to do with the cap.

you have no clue how the cap works....educate yourself first.

Dislaimer: before I get accused of defending dak.....this has nothing to do with defending Dak, just dismissing the fact that cooper was let go because of Dak's cap hit. Dak played horrible last half of the season last year and was most responsible for our loss against SF....

Reactions: Ken

phildadon86

Reaction score
LOL. Yeah. And Zeke's 19 million has nothing to do with it. Sure thing bud

kevm3

Reaction score

Where were all the amazing moves when Dak was getting paid under a million a year? This has nothing to do with Daks' contract.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Thats your opinion, cool. Thats where we have to agree to disagree. Dak has done the opposite of most of the things you've stated. Dak would have had the same success Stafford had in THAT offense with THOSE coaches and play callers supported by THAT defense.

There are plenty of HOF coaches, players, and GMs that has always had Dak ranked higher than Stafford. My eyes see the same thing their eyes have seen for the last few years. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.
Yes agree to disagree, but I’m going to show you a couple things as to why MS is far and away better.1st is Dak’s scouting report which is dead on and has the same issues today:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dak-prescott/32005052-4528-5723-d1b2-96e92ebc1241
Next is some info of Dak taking bad sacks even when protected well because he doesn’t see the field
https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/are-nfl-quarterbacks-responsible-for-sack-quality/amp
Here are just a few things to consider why Dak is nowhere near MS quality.

GINeric

Reaction score
Yes agree to disagree, but I’m going to show you a couple things as to why MS is far and away better.1st is Dak’s scouting report which is dead on and has the same issues today:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dak-prescott/32005052-4528-5723-d1b2-96e92ebc1241
Next is some info of Dak taking bad sacks even when protected well because he doesn’t see the field
https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/are-nfl-quarterbacks-responsible-for-sack-quality/amp
Here are just a few things to consider why Dak is nowhere near MS quality.

Again we have to agree to disagree. Respectfully.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
If no one else had signed him? At 25 mil? I have no issues with people that do not like Dak. But not sure what league you are following if you think Dak was not going to get 25 mil from another team(s)!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
But, somehow, that's the fault of someone other than the Jones boys (according to this thread). :rolleyes:

No, it's Jones. This team's troubles have been Jones for decades now. He's done certain things better in recent years (like passing on Manziel and drafting for the O-line), but he's still light years from a good GM.

Your point is valid. It's Jones that has been unable to effectively manage the cap.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If no one else had signed him? At 25 mil? I have no issues with people that do not like Dak. But not sure what league you are following if you think Dak was not going to get 25 mil from another team(s)!

He may have, in which case that other team would be overpaying for him, and I would rather have gone with a stop-gap veteran QB and drafting another QB.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
He may have, in which case that other team would be overpaying for him, and I would rather have gone with a stop-gap veteran QB and drafting another QB.
Fair enough. I have my issues with Dak....he is not Brady, Rodgers or Mahomes.....but not many are. So if you don't have one....do you keep looking until you find one? I think the ceiling for Dak is Russell Wilson....which means you going to have to be able to run the ball and play defense. It is the Cowboys job to PROJECT what they have and act accordingly. The years they spent "franchising" him only drove up the price. They could have had him for 30m and I think most would have been okay with that. What we are paying Dak is due to the ineptness of our front office.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Think about all that we’ve given up for this teams buy in with him

-cap hell for the next decade

-losing out on good players and free agents

-he’s about to get his second coach fired next year

-the 2016 decision to go with him over Romo leading to a first round exit

-squandering the best cowboys team in 20 years with another first round exit due to poor qb play

-cutting or trading players who don’t get along with Dak or we just can’t simply afford them anymore

Think about the following qb option we had the last 2 years

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Dashaun Watson
5. Matt Stafford

And Dak makes more money than all of them. I know this isn’t all predicated on Dak but it’s kind of hard not to feel that we’ve been cheated out of something since we signed him to this ridiculous deal
So Rogers is ruined Packers, Watson going to ruin Falcons, Stafford ruining Rams, Wilson ruining Broncos, Mahomet ruining Chiefs, Allen will ruin Bills as he will be highest paid ever next year, sorry that's not how it is working. FO has to put the right team around him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
With everything coming to light. Jerry and family not named charlotte have ruined this team.