Twitter: Dak hasn't thrown a TD pass in camp yet

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It is easy for those that have made it clear they do not like Dak to believe a report that says something that is a lie.

I totally disagree.

No one is dumb enough to take an incorrect tweet as fact

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't at least part of that problem also belong to the guy throwing him the ball? Receivers can't throw to themselves

Sure some blame rests with the QB, but that doesn't change the fact that it's false to suggest Dez was released because he was blamed for all offensive problems, and it doesn't change the fact he was very highly paid at a point that his talents appeared to be declining.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Sure some blame rests with the QB, but that doesn't change the fact that it's false to suggest Dez was released because he was blamed for all offensive problems, and it doesn't change the fact he was very highly paid at a point that his talents appeared to be declining.

All good points but it will be interesting to see what happens if Dez does sign with another team and at 29 years of age has an 80+ rec and 8-10Td's. I don't personally think Dez is washed up by any means i just think that Dak with his talents and what he does well was not the right kind of QB for Dez and his talents and what Dez did well. Water and Oil

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All good points but it will be interesting to see what happens if Dez does sign with another team and at 29 years of age has an 80+ rec and 8-10Td's. I don't personally think Dez is washed up by any means i just think that Dak with his talents and what he does well was not the right kind of QB for Dez and his talents and what Dez did well. Water and Oil

It definitely will be interesting to see what Dez does with another team. I agree that he isn't washed up, but I do think he has dropped of notably from the level he once was. At best I think he might be able to function as a low tier #1, but really is probably more of a #2 at this point.

There may be some truth to the idea that Dak and Dez aren't a good fit, but ultimately the QB is the team leader and the guy responsible for disbursing the ball, so the receivers have to adjust to whoever is behind center. That's not to say the QB doesn't have to adjust to receivers as well, but there are 4-6 receiving options on any given down, so he can't get too focused on fitting with one, whereas there is only one QB, so there is no other option for who a receiver has to get in tune with.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
w4anS8N.gif
Rico had a really nice td grab in the back of the endzone and was able to get both feet in bounds. Also caught a TD from Dak. Rico is the only "playmaker" that we have at the TE position right now just due to his size and jumping ability.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It definitely will be interesting to see what Dez does with another team. I agree that he isn't washed up, but I do think he has dropped of notably from the level he once was. At best I think he might be able to function as a low tier #1, but really is probably more of a #2 at this point.

There may be some truth to the idea that Dak and Dez aren't a good fit, but ultimately the QB is the team leader and the guy responsible for disbursing the ball, so the receivers have to adjust to whoever is behind center. That's not to say the QB doesn't have to adjust to receivers as well, but there are 4-6 receiving options on any given down, so he can't get too focused on fitting with one, whereas there is only one QB, so there is no other option for who a receiver has to get in tune with.

Agreed but Dak didn't really focus any more on Dez in 2017 than he did in 2016. In 2016 Dez averaged 7.76 targets per game and we went 13-3 in 2017 Dez averaged 8.31 targets per game. Is that half a target a game more the reason we dropped off on offence so much last season, i really don't think so and anyone who is objective would probably agree. All our receivers had a down year in 2017 not just Dez and the simple plain truth about that is that some of that blame has to belong to the guy throwing them the ball if it happens to everyone at the same time

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed but Dak didn't really focus any more on Dez in 2017 than he did in 2016. In 2016 Dez averaged 7.76 targets per game and we went 13-3 in 2017 Dez averaged 8.31 targets per game. Is that half a target a game more the reason we dropped off on offence so much last season, i really don't think so and anyone who is objective would probably agree. All our receivers had a down year in 2017 not just Dez and the simple plain truth about that is that some of that blame has to belong to the guy throwing them the ball if it happens to everyone at the same time

You seem to be back to the argument that people, and the Cowboys, blamed all offensive issues on Dez, and again, that isn't the case. I don't recall anyone saying that the entire reason the offense wasn't as good in 2017 as 2016 was because of Dez. Most, I believe, would say it was due to Elliott's situation. Dak was actually having a pretty strong season until Zeke's suspension kicked in. Again, I don't think it's about laying blame on Dez, but rather about whether Dez was still the kind of player they were willing to allocate elite money to.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You should have your sarcasm detector checked. Seems to be on the fritz

Sarcasm isn't always easy to detect in print, plus, there are posters that make all sorts of nonsensical statements, and that can make it hard to distinguish sarcasm from one of those statements unless you are very familiar with the person posting the statement.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Rico had a really nice td grab in the back of the endzone and was able to get both feet in bounds. Also caught a TD from Dak. Rico is the only "playmaker" that we have at the TE position right now just due to his size and jumping ability.
Jarwin had a TD grab in the scrimmage. I didn't see the Rico TD though. Lenoir has a TD that sounds like what your describing though

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Sarcasm isn't always easy to detect in print, plus, there are posters that make all sorts of nonsensical statements, and that can make it hard to distinguish sarcasm from one of those statements unless you are very familiar with the person posting the statement.

Actually, if you attend to content, it is easy to detect. Some people are just bad at doing so

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
You seem to be back to the argument that people, and the Cowboys, blamed all offensive issues on Dez, and again, that isn't the case. I don't recall anyone saying that the entire reason the offense wasn't as good in 2017 as 2016 was because of Dez. Most, I believe, would say it was due to Elliott's situation. Dak was actually having a pretty strong season until Zeke's suspension kicked in. Again, I don't think it's about laying blame on Dez, but rather about whether Dez was still the kind of player they were willing to allocate elite money to.
If you look closely at his numbers his 1st 8 games they were down alot from 2016, they were by no means as bad as his numbers his last 8 games last season but they were still off from 2016

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I have a good friend that was out there the last several practices. He is not a strong supporter of Dak - at all. He told me Dak looks good. Said he had a lot more zip than what he thought he had. He loved the leadership he shows. Also said he physically looks really strong. Not ready to become a Dak fan yet but he said he was impressed.

You Dak haters are insane.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you look closely at his numbers his 1st 8 games they were down alot from 2016, they were by no means as bad as his numbers his last 8 games last season but they were still off from 2016

We can talk about this if you want, but it's straying from the topic.

Overall, I would agree Dak had a little drop off in the first 8 games of 2017 from what he did in 2016, but not dramatically so. In 2016 Dak had 23 passing TDs over 16 games, and through 8 games in 2017 Dak had 16 passing TDS - on pace for 32. His completion % was down some, and he threw a couple more INT's, but those numbers were still very solid. Even so, even the best QB's don't do as well or better each year than the previous. Numbers always fluctuate some, with each year being somewhat better or worse than the previous one.

But none of that is really on point within the discussion. The question wasn't whether Dak was as good in 2017 as 2016, it was the notion that Dez was blamed for all problems the offense had, and that being blamed for all the offensive problems is what caused him to be cut. That, realistically, is not what happened.