Dak Hater's Myth: We Can't Build Around a QB Market Value Contract

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK you made your point that you were a Romo hater. You keep telling yourself that Romo was the one that caused the Cowboys to not be able to sign free agents but the rest of us know that it was from decades of renegotiating contracts that kept putting a ton of dead money on the cap that was the problem.

Jesus, I was not a Romo hater. Stop already, you got it wrong then and you have it wrong now. Tell yourself whatever story you wish, to help you sleep at night but keep it to yourself. I, for one, have no time for your nonsense.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Hopefully, I won't have to wait another 7 pages before ANYONE answers questions 1 or 2:facepalm:

Or could it be the ONLY thing that's stops teams from building around a QB Market Value Contract is the SAME team making other decisions ( draft or free agency or coaching) that didn't compliment the QB contracts.....

Tick tick tick

Being Dak Neutral I'm not qualified to answer questions asked of Dakhaters. :lmao:

Qcard

Reaction score
Being Dak Neutral I'm not qualified to answer questions asked of Dakhaters. :lmao:
You got me :lmao2:

I am Dak neutral. I've come a long way from wanting Dak traded for hijacking the lockeroom when Romo was hurt but his play won me over....

I just can't stand these Dak Haters... Just say you don't like the guy but by every metric he deserves a Market Value Contract...
These Dak Haters live in another universe

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does anyone have to be a Dakater not to want to pay a Tier 1 QB Tier 1 money? I don't hate Lawrence or Elliott but I didn't want them to do those deals either. I don't want them to give Cooper an 18M a year contract and I don't hate him either.

This FO is not good at establishing value and negotiating contracts with players. The only contracts that they seem to get real value are the OL ones, Yosemite's situation was unusual.

There is one problem, exacerbated by another. They're going to have too much to too few for the rest of the roster but that would be livable if they were any good at evaluating talent. The last 3 drafts have been no better than D's and a team that doesn't draft well cannot balance the roster of high paid players.

Gone are the value days of Prescott, Elliott, Lawrence, Smith and Jones. They played above their salary in 2018 and Jones did in 2019 but that will change. The deals they did on Elliott and Lawrence will force a choice between Cooper and Jones as well as force the draft positions. Or they extend everyone ands forget trying to add decent FA's and depend solely on what's there and the draft.

I think some of this Dak hate the OP is seeing is more aimed at the situation this FO has put the team in once again. But go ahead, tell me how much the son has learned about assembling a winning roster. He's building a caste system on the team. They do not have a plan and rely to much on the dynamics of the cap and management.

Swagger

Reaction score
Ryan has had a better career, but you are comparing a guy only in the league his first 4 years to a guy that was in the prime of his career during that span. This shows a total disconnect in that regard.

You going to take Ryan going forward or Dak? One is going downhill and the other is getting better. Not to mention that Ryan isnt an option. How you going to get Ryan?

Dalton and Dak I wont even debate, its just silly. Dalton wont even be starting in this league next year.

Its actually quite remarkable what Dak has done his first 4 years in the NFL given the fact that Garrett and Linehan have been coaching him.

And Wentz is your man? LOL Thats pretty funny. And your evidence is ONE game last year where his team won? Im sorry, did Wentz have some kind of historic game?

Who wins the game if Garrett is coaching the Eagles and we have Pederson?

I guess you like QB's that cant finish seasons?

Compare any stats you want between Wentz and Dak, I guess you focused on one game because its all you got? Next thing you are going go tell me that Wentz has won a SB.
Wentz has won a Superbowl. He has a ring. That's a statement of fact.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You got me :lmao2:

I am Dak neutral. I've come a long way from wanting Dak traded for hijacking the lockeroom when Romo was hurt but his play won me over....

I just can't stand these Dak Haters... Just say you don't like the guy but by every metric he deserves a Market Value Contract...
These Dak Haters live in another universe

Nobody knows what the true "market value" is. If there is no actual competition for services, there is no way to tell. And when the market is terrible, and gives you crap value, you don't jump into it. That's what bad organizations do. The "market" needs a reversal, and that has to start somewhere. Teams need to stop paying QBs so much. All the evidence is there.

But hey, let's just do stupid, because other people do.

Swagger

Reaction score
We have won one play off game with a very good roster over the past four years. That is embarrassing and not something to be proud of.

The OLine is getting older. It won't be long before Prescott will know what it feels like to be an NFL Quarterback with an average oline. He won't have all day to stand un the pocket to throw to wide open receivers.

That day will come sadly. Just wait and see.

Swagger

Reaction score
And yet another example of a misleading stat wright? Nice job Swagger.
He is a Superbowl champion. A hollow one at that I'm sure but he is. To be fair he was fantastic during the regular season so it's not like he is a backup QB with a ring.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He is a Superbowl champion. A hollow one at that I'm sure but he is. To be fair he was fantastic during the regular season so it's not like he is a backup QB with a ring.

I don't question any of this. Yet, the fact that he is a Super Bowl Champ QB and didn't actually win it or play in it is an example of an empty stat.

Do you not agree with that?

Swagger

Reaction score
I don't question any of this. Yet, the fact that he is a Super Bowl Champ QB and didn't actually win it or play in it is an example of an empty stat.

Do you not agree with that?
I agree that Wentz did nothing in the Superbowl itself as he didn't play but he helped the team get there. Foles was God awful against the Falcons but home field advantage and the defense carried him through before he started to ball out. We have seen that Foles isn't a QB that can perform to a consistently high level over a season otherwise he would have been a regular starter many years back. With him under centre then the Eagles would not have even reached the Superbowl in the first instance, i.e. for a start they wouldn't have had home field advantage in the play offs. So Wentz did contribute towards the actual Superbowl win without even playing in the game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't get a lot of credit for sitting on the bench and watching other people play the game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree that Wentz did nothing in the Superbowl itself as he didn't play but he helped the team get there. Foles was God awful against the Falcons but home field advantage and the defense carried him through before he started to ball out. We have seen that Foles isn't a QB that can perform to a consistently high level over a season otherwise he would have been a regular starter many years back. With him under centre then the Eagles would not have even reached the Superbowl in the first instance, i.e. for a start they wouldn't have had home field advantage in the play offs. So Wentz did contribute towards the actual Superbowl win without even playing in the game.

OK, your kinda behind the curtain here. Earlier, in another thread, I made a post about stats. Essentially, it said that stats are not the end all, be all because they can be manipulated to drive a position and in fact, roughly 37% of them actually were, according to a study conducted in 2009. So when I mentioned this, it was in reference to that. I don't dispute the points you are making and I am well aware of all of them. There is literally nothing you are saying that I am arguing over or do not have complete knowledge of.

I should have probably explained my original post much better. My bad Swagger.

boyzfan1972

Reaction score
wow, these dak fan boys just wont let it go. quit trying to forcefully convince us that dak is the second coming of Jesus Christ.
answers to questions 1 and 2.
1. no one worth keeping
2. Byron Jones , Amari Cooper, Robert Quinn, General Lee, Michael Bennett......Stupid Answers to Stupid Questions.....stop crying and go hug your Dak Doll in your Dak room, filled with Dak posters, wearing your Dak #4 jersey. FFS!!
if we sign Dak, great lets move on. if we dont sign Dak, great lets move on.......You feel me?

Swagger

Reaction score
David Carr, Tarvaris Jackson, and Tyrod Taylor won super bowls.

Your statement is strange and irrelevant.
My response in relation to CowboyRoy and explained further below the initial statement.

A forum is just so pointless isn't it. People will never change their mind one way or another so everyone is just banging their head against brick wall!

fivetwos

Reaction score
The only reason people believe Murray scores on that play is because Troy Aikman exaggerated and claimed Murray had nothing standing between him and the end zone, which was incorrect. Ha-ha Clinton-Dix was back there at safety and another defender was blazing from the left. Murray had already demonstrated he lost his home run hitting ability with the team and there was really no way he was scoring on that play.

That said, he would have most likely gotten us into FG range and the drive would have continued which may have ultimately led to a TD. It was a big fumble no doubt, but we can't boil the entire game down that fumble because the team still could have overcome it and won. The last possessions of the 1st have on both offense and defense were also huge when we missed a FG and allowed GB to kick a FG of their own. Romo failing to throw the ball away on 1st and 2nd down on our 2nd to last possession put us in bad down and distance stalling that drive hurt. Their were plenty of other wasted opportunities besides Murray's fumble.
Could be. Yep, I was relying on the commentary.

I wasn't there nor did I see the all 22.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Please all you Dak Hater's I kindly ask you answer 2 questions

1. Which players did we lose to Free Agency because of Tony Romo's Market Value setting contract?

2. Which players on the roster will we lose that we would have wanted to keep if we sign Dak to Market Value Contract.

Thank you!

Money is fungible. There are all sorts of players we could have signed or extended for the Romo money.

Post facto, the Romo contract was bad. We got one healthy year (a great year in 2014) for 3 years of record setting pay. We were also in a position to trade him and a couple of years that voided on his previous contract because he was still on the team.

That's the risk of guaranteed money. Players can break. Dak isn't old, but he could break too. Hearing about his recurring shoulder injuries to his throwing shoulder in college did not encourage me.

The example of Romo's record breaking contract is not evidence *in favor* of signing a big money guaranteed contract to *any* QB.

Guys we may not sign because of Dak - Byron, Quinn, Brown, Bennett, Jarwin extension, other young guys we could extend now, other available free agents.

Somebody would probably give us some picks in trade for Dak. We save 35mil/yr and 100mil+ guaranteed. That's a lot of extra cash to build a team with, and not locking in guaranteed money leaves you free to pursue and hit on QBs on their rookie contract.

Churn running QBs, maybe you get one who can throw too. Like Dak.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Why does Romo's name keep coming up? I've never seen an ex-player get mentioned so much. Hint, hint people Romo's past has nothing to do with Dak's future.

Past players come up. I've got no problem with that.

But the original post for this thread has the feel of "we paid Romo so we should pay Dak". It just doesn't follow, particularly since post facto the Romo contract was a bad contract for the team.