Twitter: Dak in ad for new Venom movie

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently Dak is allowed to 'go Hollywood'.
Apparently, based upon past commentary (link). In this instance, Dak Prescott is prominently featured in an atypical movie promotion. Trailers and teasers are usually as follows:
  • Montage of different scenes from a film, which comprises the overwhelming bulk of such promotions
  • Commercial sponsorship endorsement tie-ins. This segment is still small by comparison but has grown exponentially since Star Wars in the late 1970's, when that film was heavily co-promoted with commercial product endorsements. A genius move by 20th Century Fox and George Lucus that helped save the industry from bankruptcy but I digress.

This promotion type is an example that is a fraction of such promotions. Namely, insert completely unrelated public figure into a semblance of the movie scenes and create a parody, targeted mainly at the fame following associated with that individual.

Currently, it is unknown how Prescott landed this part. Perhaps the studio or the film's casting and marketing directors reached out to Prescott's (talent?) agent. Maybe Prescott's agent was made aware that the studio was actively searching for a well-known personality to pair with Tom Hardy. There could be other possibilities but Prescott's appearance was the end-result.

Movies have always been quintessentially Hollywood. Television and even radio are Hollywood also but films have been identified primarily as such from their inception.

Prescott did a movie trailer. A weak counter-argument can be made about other publicity endorsements, etc., that many professional and amateur sports athletes have done for many decades also. This movie trailer was unquestionably a Hollywood-related activity.

Thus, the obvious question. Why is one quarterback vehemently blamed for 'going Hollywood', while another quarterback is not held to the same standard? Time to check the old Merriam-Webster dictionary (link).

Yeah.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked the ad. It was cute.
It is cute. That is probably my superhero genre fan bias showing though. :laugh:

It would have been better if Prescott had associated himself with another movie franchise though. The Venom movies have been average, DESPITE having Tom Hardy as the central protagonist. His talent has been utterly wasted.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yawn……
I was defending Dak

All QB's of popular teams do this stuff now .......... Who cares?? Doesn't change anything about how they prepare or anything.

I was pointing out the irony in Parcells telling people not to "go Hollywood" when he was doing commercials with Jerry *** Jones.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is cute. That is probably my superhero genre fan bias showing though. :laugh:

It would have been better if Prescott had associated himself with another movie franchise though. The Venom movies have been average, DESPITE having Tom Hardy as the central protagonist. His talent has been utterly wasted.
Yeah...like maybe Captain America. :laugh: :popcorn:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you trying to insinuate that Dak hasn't done any commercials until this year? Dak's first commercial was for Direct TV in 2016. That is the same time frame as Romo's first.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wfkd/directv-nfl-sunday-ticket-all-the-throws-featuring-dak-prescott

Lids 2017

Tostitos 2017

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wfkd/directv-nfl-sunday-ticket-all-the-throws-featuring-dak-prescott

I could go on from there but there are honestly too many to list (and it will only let me post 5) so I will stop after his first 3.

Looks like Dak certainly went just as Hollywood since day 1 as a starter.

I thought you were all about "I no longer defend Dak, I just give facts"? Funny how you always seem to conveniently leave facts out, that don't fit your Dak view, when you are "presenting" them. Come on man either do better or just admit that you ride Dak's jock more than you care about actual facts.

Hit the nail on the head. Always his MO.

That is not his insinuation, His counter-argument is Tony Romo was 'way more Hollywood' before Dak Prescott ever was. It is the type of refutation Judge Judy commonly hears that prompts her to give this look:

2YB3RVb.png

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Thus, the obvious question. Why is one quarterback vehemently blamed for 'going Hollywood', while another quarterback is not held to the same standard? Time to check the old Merriam-Webster dictionary (link).

Yeah.
This is the million dollar question, and I doubt you will EVER get a straight answer from Dak's biggest defender.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea ...... I made the mistake of looking up AC's Romo Hollywood posts .......... its pretty funny considering how many Dak commercials I see now
Searching is restricted to CowboysZone. By his own admission, there was more criticism posted about Tony Romo on another (now defunct) Cowboys forum before the first one was made here.

Logically, a portion of that criticism was likely emphasized along with the Bill Parcells' quarterback commandments. The probability of the hypocrisy originating well-before 2016 and Dak Prescott is extremely high.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is not his insinuation, His counter-argument is Tony Romo was 'way more Hollywood' before Dak Prescott ever was. It is the type of refutation Judge Judy commonly hears that prompts her to give this look:

2YB3RVb.png
Yup. I don't know if I would say "way more Hollywood" though, Dak has been in more commercials than Romo ever was while playing, and just as early in their careers. That was the point of my post.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently, based upon past commentary (link). In this instance, Dak Prescott is prominently featured in an atypical movie promotion. Trailers and teasers are usually as follows:
  • Montage of different scenes from a film, which comprises the overwhelming bulk of such promotions
  • Commercial sponsorship endorsement tie-ins. This segment is still small by comparison but has grown exponentially since Star Wars in the late 1970's, when that film was heavily co-promoted with commercial product endorsements. A genius move by 20th Century Fox and George Lucus that helped save the industry from bankruptcy but I digress.

This promotion type is an example that is a fraction of such promotions. Namely, insert completely unrelated public figure into a semblance of the movie scenes and create a parody, targeted mainly at the fame following associated with that individual.

Currently, it is unknown how Prescott landed this part. Perhaps the studio or the film's casting and marketing directors reached out to Prescott's (talent?) agent. Maybe Prescott's agent was made aware that the studio was actively searching for a well-known personality to pair with Tom Hardy. There could be other possibilities but Prescott's appearance was the end-result.

Movies have always been quintessentially Hollywood. Television and even radio are Hollywood also but films have been identified primarily as such from their inception.

Prescott did a movie trailer. A weak counter-argument can be made about other publicity endorsements, etc., that many professional and amateur sports athletes have done for many decades also. This movie trailer was unquestionably a Hollywood-related activity.

Yeah.
Very clever! My compliments on your...judiciousness.