Dak is a good Bus Driver but Needs a Good Supporting Cast

HungryLion

Reaction score
"The next Tom Brady!"

The issue here is, is Dak not ready to take on more of a responsibility at the line or are the coaches having his hands tied?

Because there is NO WAY any other QB would allow themselves to take that kind of beating when they see an OL getting beat like that without asking for him to be benched or sending help over to him.

I mean, ****, you can even have an RB watch that spot if you need to. Not ideal, but SOMETHING. That wasn't happening.

Something simply isn't right at the line of scrimmage and I pointed this out in week 2 and it also hurt us.

I mean Dak is a young QB. So I’m sure his calls at the line aren’t perfect. That takes years and years for NFL QB’s to master.

That being said. There have been veteran QB’s— good ones who have taken beatings like that all game
Long.

Mcnabb in the Winston justice game.
Romo against the Vikings
Brady against the broncos
The list goes on.

Impossible to know without knowing who is responsible for what. I imagine Frederick also calls most of the protections.

And what the gameplan was and what instructions the coaches gave.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Even Romo couldn't over come game like this and I am a Romo guy. Look how Romo did against Philly in 2008 when he got beat up like Dak did today. We lost 44-6.
Yep.

We did win many games when the situation was like this as well. It was that way almost weekly for about three years.

Bottom line being, it'd be very hard to have your QB running for his life weekly and expect to somehow make a deep playoff run. He needs help

Luckily, Smith will be back in weeks, not years. And Zeek will be back in 5 weeks, if it still matters by then.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This fanbase needs to realize what Dak is...
Is he the worst QB in the league? Of course not. He is average. A bus driver. Nothing to be ashamed of...the thing is, when his contract expires, will he take bus driver money? Or will he want franchize QB money? You can win with a bus driver but he NEEDS an elite supporting cast to win. If you pay a bus driver franchize QB type money, you will be a bad football club. In today's NFL, the salary cap will prevent you from being a complete team. You can either have a good offense , a good defense, or a franchize QB. You can't have all three. What is Dak prescott? The next few weeks will show us. As I said, this fanbase needs to realize what Dak is and we need to stop comparing him to the Rodger's of the world... he is more like an Alex Smith ( winning QB) wich is fine. The day this fanbase and coaching staff realize this, we may learn to apreciate the guy.

It’s too early to say Dak is “only a bus driver” in only his second season.

Many elite QB’s weren’t elite their second year.

Unless you believe Dak won’t get better over time, which seems foolish.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I mean Dak is a young QB. So I’m sure his calls at the line aren’t perfect. That takes years and years for NFL QB’s to master.

That being said. There have been veteran QB’s— good ones who have taken beatings like that all game
Long.

Romo against the Vikings
The list goes on.

Impossible to know without knowing who is responsible for what. I imagine Frederick also calls most of the protections.

Dak will be just fine

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Long.

Romo against the Vikings
The list goes on.

Of course QBs have an O-line break down - that is not the point. I am talking about a single offensive lineman getting routinely beat to a point it allows an average to good player to break a franchise record and little to no help goes that way.

At this point, you need to demand more protection from that side - a TE, an RB - SOMETHING. If the coaches are the problem, Dak needs to be more vocal. If it's him, he better spend even more late nights in the film room or he won't be making it far in this league.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Of course QBs have an O-line break down - that is not the point. I am talking about a single offensive lineman getting routinely beat to a point it allows an average to good player to break a franchise record and little to no help goes that way.

At this point, you need to demand more protection from that side - a TE, an RB - SOMETHING. If the coaches are the problem, Dak needs to be more vocal. If it's him, he better spend even more late nights in the film room or he won't be making it far in this league.

The last time I saw this was the Winston justice vs osi umenyora game. Giants vs eagles.

Mcnabb was the QB and Andy Reid was head coach.

But yes. I agree something has to be done.
Personally I blame it more on coaching than the QB though. It’s linehans and Garret’s job to make those adjustments.

We have a tight end that is on the team almost strictly for blocking, James Hanna. And I didn’t see him over there helping out at all. Linehan and Garrett are the ones that put him on the field.

starcity214

Reaction score
It’s too early to say Dak is “only a bus driver” in only his second season.

Many elite QB’s weren’t elite their second year.

Unless you believe Dak won’t get better over time, which seems foolish.

Well, I hope he does. Thing is , when your owner says " Dak is the face of the franchize for the next 10 plus years" without said player having played in a playoff game ( never mind winning one) , fans will start to lose hope.

JBS

Reaction score
This op needs a strong supporting cast to brainstorm and put together good thread ideaa

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Dak is not a QB that can carry a team as shown today. This team revolves around Zeke period. It depends on a great 5 OL but only had 4 today and Dak eat dirt all afternoon. The Offense needs Zeke to get to the playoffs, oops, he is gone for 6 games. There is only one great player on Defense but he can not stay on the field due to injuries.

The Cowboys face a far better team in Philly next week. The season is as close to lose as you can get.

Go Cowboys

b3cc282c1e0c721384572e6f9e5987956c251957348819d3835bb2e7b51f65c8.jpg

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well, I hope he does. Thing is , when your owner says " Dak is the face of the franchize for the next 10 plus years" without said player having played in a playoff game ( never mind winning one) , fans will start to lose hope.

Dak did play in a playoff game.

He threw for 300 yards and 3 TD’s and the team
Lost because the defense got their butts kicked.

KB1122

Reaction score
I would be thrilled if Dak turns out to be an elite quarterback. But I'm also not going to get into another ten years of "If we just had a better defense" "If we had a better running game," etc. At some point, your quarterback is a sufficient force multiplier or he isn't.

starcity214

Reaction score
Dak did play in a playoff game.

He threw for 300 yards and 3 TD’s and the team
Lost because the defense got their butts kicked.

Jerry gave that quote before the playoff game...
And sure, Dal abused the GB practice squad cornerbacks all day that game..i mean, Dez vs a practice squad player? I'll take it everyday. Too bad we can't face practice squad players every week, otherwise Dal would set all time records.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
And sure, Dal abused the GB practice squad cornerbacks all day that game..i mean, Dez vs a practice squad player? I'll take it everyday. Too bad we can't face practice squad players every week, otherwise Dal would set all time records.
It's ok to say you were wrong about Dak not playing in a playoff game. Good job dancing around though but you were still wrong

HungryLion

Reaction score

You’re the one that didn’t even know Dak played in a playoff game last year.

Odd for a “cowboy fan”

starcity214

Reaction score
You’re the one that didn’t even know Dak played in a playoff game last year.

Odd for a “cowboy fan”

Jerry and some fans were anointing Dak before that playoff game. That quote came from an interview with jerry...my point was that jerry's mind was already made. I've been a fan ever since i saw aikman throw that bomb to rocket Ismail against Washington in 1999...again, my whole point is that some fans have anointed Dak as the next Brady wich is laughable. We are setting Dak up for failure if that is what we expect of him..

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this cowboys team without zeke will win 6 or 7 games the east will send one team to the playoffs the south will send two the west two and the north one

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo was sacked 6-7x by the Cleveland browns in 2012 and we won 23-20

But I get what you're saying. It's nearly impossible
He was a master at avoiding the sack too...or there would've been far, far more.
See the Watt play and overtime win at Houston as one of so many examples.

In the end, the beatings took their toll though.

Three ways to avoid a sack.
  1. by throwing it away or getting rid of it early
  2. by physically dodging the rusher
  3. manipulating your protection pre-snap
But even all that fails at times

River82

Reaction score
The team doesn't need Zeke, period. The rushing yards was perfectly acceptable. The team doesn't need a top 3 QB period, Dak's performance was perfectly acceptable.

The team needs better OLine play, and good linebackers. Dallas looks fine with Tyron Smith at LT and Sean Lee at LB, but when they're out then they're out. If Zeke demands a lot of money then cut him, a good O-line and a decent RB will give you enough yards. Boost the defense, boost the o-line and you challenge imo.

rwalters31

Reaction score
this cowboys team without zeke will win 6 or 7 games the east will send one team to the playoffs the south will send two the west two and the north one
Not a bad analysis. The NFL seems to agree with your assessment.