Dak is here to stay

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sorry you think that way, but it’s not close.

Sanchez in his prime was Dak Prescot minus the talent around him. Before you get overly impressed with Dak's stats this past year, consider who he played. The man padded his stats against bottom 10 defenses. He played 9 games against those defenses...... 10 if you want to include the practice squad Philly put on the field week 17. The fact is that outside the putrid NFC East, Dak isn't that good. He went 6-6 against the rest of the league. Very Mark Sanchez.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
In the history of the franchise the Cowboys have won Super Bowls with only two different QBs. The Cowboys have had other QBs they could win a Super Bowl with but the teams haven’t been good enough. That’s the reality of it. If some of you want to pin it all on the QB go ahead. I don’t believe there’s a QB in the entire league that can win a Super Bowl with this current team and coaching. It’s not as simple as just change the QB and presto! Dak played lights out against Tampa in the season opener and we still lost. The problems with this team are deeper than you’re seeing.
Yes, but Dak is the most expensive problem.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We haven't come close to a Super Bowl with the other 20+ QBs who have started a game for the Cowboys over the last 25 years, either.

Seems like there's a bigger underlying problem.

I think it's called leadership at the top of the organization, which, unfortunately, filters downward throughout the entire team. :(

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Sanchez in his prime was Dak Prescot minus the talent around him. Before you get overly impressed with Dak's stats this past year, consider who he played. The man padded his stats against bottom 10 defenses. He played 9 games against those defenses...... 10 if you want to include the practice squad Philly put on the field week 17. The fact is that outside the putrid NFC East, Dak isn't that good. He went 6-6 against the rest of the league. Very Mark Sanchez.

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would take Sanchez over Prescott. We don’t go 12-5 this year with Sanchez, man - I’m sorry.

I’m strictly talking about their skill level, not contracts.

Hadenough

Reaction score
There isn’t anything to do about that. We have to build the Offensive Line. I think so many teams need to build their lines there will be a run there.
Dak needs more then we’re providing . Maybe a better QB could get the job done but does it matter.
That just means 3,4,5 more years of one and done and probably a couple more coaches get fired. Oh well! Go Bengals

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No amount of talent on the offensive line or wr core or rb can turn Dak into a winner.
O-Line isn't perfect but Prescott is not the answer vat QB
Some people think this offensive line is good when it's really not! Dak has had so many different lineman & TE'S start in his 85 games at QB.

Here's a list for those w/tunnel vision.
Jason Witten/ Dalton Schultz/ Geoff Swaim/ Blake Jarwin/ Gavin Escobar/ James Hanna/ Rico Gathers/ Jeremy Sprinkle/ Tyron Smith/ Terrence Steele/ Connor Williams/ Connor McGovern/ Zack Martin/ Travis Frederick/ Joe Looney/ Tyler Biadasz/ Ron Leary/ Emmett Cleary/ Chaz Green/ Jonathan Cooper/ Cam Fleming/ Xavier Su'a-filo/ Brandon Knight/ Cam Erving.

I laugh when people say Dak has had all the talent in the world. Talent when healthy which isn't & hasn't been very often. If I recall correctly, the playoff game vs San Fran was only the 3rd time the entire (17 week+ 1 playoff) season the offensive line was healthy & played together.

But, some don't see the reality being they want to be liked by pumping their chests behind a keyboard posting hate against our quarterback. Don't like him too bad. He's not going anywhere ~ Thank goodness!
We just need to focus on running the ball and having a beefed up o line. Prescott doesn't even understand the rules of football based on that last play. Utterly brainless
Soooo, Moore had absolutely nothing to do w/that boneheaded play call?! Are you blind to all the Moore hate threads. My gosh, wake up already! Moore is awful.

@America's Cowboy @Ranching

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A winning record is hardly the benchmark of a top 3 paid QB.
His salary is a botched ordeal by our owner. We should know it doesn’t represent his pecking order in the league. Often franchise QB’s are paid market prices.

Much of the same criticisms we had of Dak while he was on a Rookie contract still hold true . His contract just provides a another talking point and embarrassment how poorly our dysfunctional franchise is run.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most of us see what he is. But it doesn’t matter. What matters is what our owner thinks of him and what he represents to his iconic label. Dak is $$$$$$$$$

And the Cowboys are raking it in with him . He does enough to keep us “ interesting and relative “ which in Jethro’s words is the core objective in promoting his brand out there.

He sells enough hope to turn the wheel and the cash registers running . And Jethro has gone to quite extremes to prop up his golden goose with receivers , RB and OL and his personal pizza boy OC.

All he has to do at the end of each disappointing season is just a little damage control and perhaps offer up a scapegoat . Easy peasy.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think anyone in their right mind would take Sanchez over Prescott. We don’t go 12-5 this year with Sanchez, man - I’m sorry.

I’m strictly talking about their skill level, not contracts.

Sanchez was a first round pick. The dude had skills. Its easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and dismiss him. But, he played on an awful team. Dak inherited a team ready to compete surrounded by talent. So many fans think Dak is a home run but his career began on 3rd base. He is a mediocre QB with an average arm, but put in a great position behind a top 5 OL, pro bowl caliber wrs,a pro bowl caliber rb. A LOT of QBs would succeed in Daks position. Here are few things from Dak's scouting report coming out of college. ALL of them are still true. Yet, we blame are top tier OL.

• Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw
  • Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions
  • Must speed up the pace of his reads
  • Footwork is a mess
All of these flaws he had coming out of college are just magnified in the pros. Any team that can pressure him gets in his head and its game over. This is why we often see our offense do nothing until in a hole against good teams. He barely had 100 yards passing against AZ and SF entering the 4th quarter. Then down 23-7 and 22-7, the defense backed off the pressure and dropped more into coverage trying to prevent the big play and tackle in bounds. This is when Dak starts excelling.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
H

He sucks.

No, that's just silly. There is NO WAY a qb in the NFL can suck and go 12-5, don't care who they play, the worst NFL team isn't that far off from the best.

Now is Dak top 5? No, that'd also be silly. Top 10? Probably, but let's assume for the moment he's not. Top 15? Even at that, he's average, by the very definition of average, near the middle of the pack.

But let's also go with the "Dallas will never win a SB with Dak because he sucks".

That means that:
Don Meredith sucked.
Danny White sucked.
Drew Bledsoe sucked.
Tony Romo sucked.

Gee, isn't it amazing? Somehow Dallas had quarterbacks that went to 2 NFL championship games, 3 NFC championship games, a Super Bowl and set Cowboys records and has a passer rating higher than Petyon Manning and Ben Roethlesberger, both 2 time SB winners, yet can't win a SB?

If Dak never wins a SB, he's in good company.

But that's fine, blame Dak for everything, just be honest in his evaluation...

cowboyed

Reaction score
The best quarterbacks in the league padded their stats playing in certain games. It was unavoidable. I don't think Dak resembles Sanchez by a mile. I am still very gung ho on Dak but he does need to make better decisions at times in the red zone and also either warm up longer or find a way to amp down at the beginning of a first quarter when the offense is first to take the field against the opponent. Several times in games this season he was too erratic with his throws until he settled down later in the first quarter or the second.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Sanchez was a first round pick. The dude had skills. Its easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and dismiss him. But, he played on an awful team. Dak inherited a team ready to compete surrounded by talent. So many fans think Dak is a home run but his career began on 3rd base. He is a mediocre QB with an average arm, but put in a great position behind a top 5 OL, pro bowl caliber wrs,a pro bowl caliber rb. A LOT of QBs would succeed in Daks position. Here are few things from Dak's scouting report coming out of college. ALL of them are still true. Yet, we blame are top tier OL.

• Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw
  • Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions
  • Must speed up the pace of his reads
  • Footwork is a mess
All of these flaws he had coming out of college are just magnified in the pros. Any team that can pressure him gets in his head and its game over. This is why we often see our offense do nothing until in a hole against good teams. He barely had 100 yards passing against AZ and SF entering the 4th quarter. Then down 23-7 and 22-7, the defense backed off the pressure and dropped more into coverage trying to prevent the big play and tackle in bounds. This is when Dak starts excelling.

I respect all of your points, but hindsight doesn’t really play a part in my opinion.

While I do agree that Dak isn’t an elite QB, I still believe he’s been much better than Sanchez. I know Sanchez’s sample size here wasn’t much, but he was terrible in his limited opportunity. His time with Philadelphia and New York wasn’t much to write home about either. His early Jets teams rode a good defense and decent running game to some playoff success, not Sanchez’s arm.

And yes, Dak DID have a great OL and peak Zeke in his early career - hence the 13-3 record rookie year. But the OL hasn’t been the same since Frederick retired. It’s actually been pretty mediocre - very inconsistent, guys are regularly injured, and don’t even get us started on the false start and holding penalties.

So ultimately I disagree that our OL is elite. We leave a lot to be desired there. And I still think Sanchez would not have led us to 12 wins this year. Maybe 6 if we’re lucky.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I respect all of your points, but hindsight doesn’t really play a part in my opinion.

While I do agree that Dak isn’t an elite QB, I still believe he’s been much better than Sanchez. I know Sanchez’s sample size here wasn’t much, but he was terrible in his limited opportunity. His time with Philadelphia and New York wasn’t much to write home about either. His early Jets teams rode a good defense and decent running game to some playoff success, not Sanchez’s arm.

And yes, Dak DID have a great OL and peak Zeke in his early career - hence the 13-3 record rookie year. But the OL hasn’t been the same since Frederick retired. It’s actually been pretty mediocre - very inconsistent, guys are regularly injured, and don’t even get us started on the false start and holding penalties.

So ultimately I disagree that our OL is elite. We leave a lot to be desired there. And I still think Sanchez would not have led us to 12 wins this year. Maybe 6 if we’re lucky.

The history of the NFL is littered with talented QBs who fell into the wrong situation and derailed their career. Sanchez is just one example. The point of posting Daks scouting report isn't to drudge up the past. It is to point out that not much has changed. When pressured, he's the same guy.

I think we have a poorly coached OL. The penalties say it all.