Dak Is/Isn’t A Franchise QB Thread

Cydios

Reaction score
Inconsistency. His throws are all over the place; high, behind, low and perfect.
Personally I don't think we have other options at this position right now or even in the near future. Considering how our defense (or lack there of) has been, we have bigger problems. Dak has put up some numbers period, but when you have a defense making the worst QB's in the league look like Tom Brady, the last thing we should be talking about is Dak. I still believe the emphasis should be a ground game. We Rush Zeke 11 times on that first drive and then another 11 the rest of the game.
If the question is "should we pay him" We should, just not the amount his camp is asking for. I'm sure Jerry knows that.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
It remains to be seen.

Is he the problem or is it the obviously inept coaching staff?

The only way to know is to bring in a competent coach and see what happens.

Im not entirely ready to give up on him yet.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Personally I don't think we have other options at this position right now or even in the near future. Considering how our defense (or lack there of) has been, we have bigger problems. Dak has put up some numbers period, but when you have a defense making the worst QB's in the league look like Tom Brady, the last thing we should be talking about is Dak. I still believe the emphasis should be a ground game. We Rush Zeke 11 times on that first drive and then another 11 the rest of the game.
If the question is "should we pay him" We should, just not the amount his camp is asking for. I'm sure Jerry knows that.
Right now I am in the move on from him camp. Maybe they can franchise him and trade him. The Cowboys roster is such a mess that they need Aaron Rodgers or Brees to play QB in order to pull out some wins. Dak's play is just too uneven to hand him all that money. What does he look like with less talent around him? A case can certainly be made the offensive side of the ball will see a decline in talent as other areas of the roster get addressed.

Cydios

Reaction score
Right now I am in the move on from him camp. Maybe they can franchise him and trade him. The Cowboys roster is such a mess that they need Aaron Rodgers or Brees to play QB in order to pull out some wins. Dak's play is just too uneven to hand him all that money. What does he look like with less talent around him? A case can certainly be made the offensive side of the ball will see a decline in talent as other areas of the roster get addressed.
The point I'm making is that there's no a QB in site who can be the next Brady or Rodgers. Both Mahomes and Lamar were accidental finds. Dak can get it done. We're scoring 25 points a game, but the opposing is scoring 30. This is the same thing we said about Romo. Romo had no defense (and of offensive line). Dallas failed Romo and will fail Dak if they don't wake up and get someone who can manage this team. This more on Jerry than anyone else. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Any CEO would have been fired. Unfortunately Jerry is also the owner. He's done more for Dallas than any other owner, but he doesn't understand that his time is up. Pass on the proverbial torch for gods sake.

75boyz

Reaction score
When many here, in the media and Hall of Famer Troy Aikman were saying "you either have it or you don't" with regards to passing accuracy this is what we meant.

Sure, Dak got some coaching and worked on his fundamentals and saw some progress in practice and early on against the weakest defenses in the league.

Unfortunately, when it gets real and the pressure mounts, when there is no time to think just to react, the tendency is for us humans to revert to our base instincts and the training goes out the window.

In other words, you either have it or you don't.

You nailed it bro.
He keeps re-booting to his factory settings and that was the reason he was a 4th rounder to begin with. My biggest physical trait I look for in a QB is fundamental accuracy. Does he throw an accurate ball?

For all the reasons you, Warner last year and Troy several times over, the guy can not "consistently" throw accurate NFL passes. That's with time, without time, with receiver separation or without.

It wasn't all Linehans fault. Hurns and Beasley weren't lying.

Now cue all the distant relatives rebuttals of "all QBs" miss throws. Spare me.

Last edited:

eternaljester81

Reaction score
When many here, in the media and Hall of Famer Troy Aikman were saying "you either have it or you don't" with regards to passing accuracy this is what we meant.

Sure, Dak got some coaching and worked on his fundamentals and saw some progress in practice and early on against the weakest defenses in the league.

Unfortunately, when it gets real and the pressure mounts, when there is no time to think just to react, the tendency is for us humans to revert to our base instincts and the training goes out the window.

In other words, you either have it or you don't.

What about when Aikman recently said to pay Dak?

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I'm not sure how we can judge any of the players until we see how they play under real coaching.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Being a gun slinger was never Troy's style. That's not his mindset. His passing was a compliment to the offense, not the dominant factor, and his strength was precision in the entire offense, including the running game, and holding the players to a level of excellence and accountability.

I’m not implying he was a gun slinger. But the NFL is different nowadays. Troy’s skill set would translate to today’s NFL. You could ask Troy to drop back and pass 50 times if needed and he could do it no problem in the modern NFL.

jnday

Reaction score
And Romo looked like trash when the team quit on Wade.
Thats what happens.
But I can tell by your sig you will not be intellectually honest about anything related to Dak.
Somebody that keeps bringing Romo up to defend Dak doesn’t really need to talk about intellectually honesty. Romo has retired and has nothing to do with Dak’s problems.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The point I'm making is that there's no a QB in site who can be the next Brady or Rodgers. Both Mahomes and Lamar were accidental finds. Dak can get it done. We're scoring 25 points a game, but the opposing is scoring 30. This is the same thing we said about Romo. Romo had no defense (and of offensive line). Dallas failed Romo and will fail Dak if they don't wake up and get someone who can manage this team. This more on Jerry than anyone else. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Any CEO would have been fired. Unfortunately Jerry is also the owner. He's done more for Dallas than any other owner, but he doesn't understand that his time is up. Pass on the proverbial torch for gods sake.
Not really - we are scoring 7 and finishing with a few points in garbage time!

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It depends on how you interpret the question. Candidly Dak Prescott is absolutely a franchise quarterback, if your desire is for your franchise to be mired in mediocrity

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Trubisky outplayed Dak , big time
Trubisky’s record as Chicago’s starter (22-16, .579) is now better than Dak’s (25-20, .556).

We said all along , Dak is average and is not a top 10 QB by any stretch... but no one wants to listen .
That’s not accurate at all get your stats right. Dak has won 13-9-10-6 how does that equal 25 wins?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
He might be but until we get the cancerous head coach out of here it's hard to say.....Garrett has ruined so many careers this could be another one in the making.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Good enough to win WHAT? A playoff game? Who gives a freakin' crap? What does that give us, lower draft pick? It means absolutely nothing. You want mediocrity, and for someone who is a "pessimist", what a way to settle like that.

Again, it's just embarrassing. Push for better entertainment.
It’s hard to find a QB in this league. You want to be a ****** and keep recycling ? The coaches message is no longer being received. I wasn’t a Dak fan until last season. He has what it takes mentally. It’s going to take a change in philosophy and new staff to turn the entire team around.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Purge the coaching staff and let the new guy decide.

I would expect they'd give Dak a year in a modern NFL offense to decide, but regardless the new coach gets full roster control including QB.