Video: Dak is the reason no signature

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
one hundred percent Daks fault and I love it. get the greedy ******* out of here. Good job Stephen.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Its not greed. It's Dak betting on himself. It's a big gamble
Dak reminds me of those old TV Westerns we watched as kids.

You know, Maverick, Bat Masterson, Gunsmoke, etc.

There was always a new guy that would arrive with an angle.

He was either there to out gamble you, land swindle you, something and had a pretty little lady to distract you and to help him run his scheme.

You just had to watch long enough to see how it was going down and when the hero would see through it and stop it.

It's the same here.

France is the high stakes schemer, Dak is the upfront screen and in the background some likely pretty little thing is going thru Jerrah's coat pockets looking for the combination to the wall safe.

Time after time Jerrah starts to his office to get something he forgot and the theives run for cover and eventually are going to get caught in the act.

This starting and restarting the negotiations just keeps the suspense going.

After awhile, we remember you have seen this episode before and remember the ending and switch the channel.

I am ready to switch the channel here.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What a lot of people fail to understand is that we don't know what Dak wants. He may not care what team he plays for or what weapons he has going forward. Would a WR want to play for the Chiefs or the Jags? Tell him how much he's making and you'll get your answer. It could be for an insignificant amount, and he'll tell you he loves the Jags organization and teammates. That's how most players are.

The only odd thing about this decision is the risk he's willing to take. An injury, even if it's only for 4 or 5 weeks, could derail his entire season. Like the other guy said, he could catch you know what and be out a minimum of 3 weeks, if not longer. The Cowboys could have a bad season. It may not be his fault, but people will point at every little mistake. He's not only betting on himself, he's betting on the Cowboys. And for what, the difference of a 4 or 5 year contract? You call that a smart business move? Keep in mind, in order to get another big contract after 4 years you actually have to play well in those 4 years. If he prices himself off the Cowboys and gets his 4 years in Jacksonville or Indianapolis, he probably won't get another big contract.
Dak makes me stop.

I think about..

"What is he thinking here?"

I think he knows he was as lucky as hell being drafted by a good team. Then he has to know the reality is he was only a FOURTH Rd. pick.

That few of those go on and succeed. Most are out of the league by their 3rd TC.

It's a bit of a scam he is running. He sees he has a hungry owner who will sell the house for another SB before he has to retire.

Dak has no idea if he can really do it but he is trying to fit what Jerrah wants.

Dak saw it happen with Romo before him. An undrafted QB who didn't win much parlied a football career into the top TV analyst job.

So Dak knows what he wants. He just has to maneuver Jerrah to get it.

CWR

Reaction score
I agree Dak isn’t Mahommes. And Goff and Wentz weren’t Rodgers but they were paid near that .

Jackson and Watson next year will get ridiculous contracts prob close to 40 million or more. I’m not sure how much better passers they are than Dak.

QB salaries aren’t always related to their talent level. It’s about when they sign and market value.

Paying Dak 37 million might be high this year but when you consider his Tag next year will be that and these other QB’s will by most accounts be more it all becomes relative.

And when you consider as was reported we came back with an offer of 33-35 million we were only a couple million away from sealing the deal.

Now it’s going to be at least 37 million next year , probably more and why the criticism for not stepping up and sealing the deal this year.

Mahomes contract is still difficult to decipher for me. He averages 39.5, but considering it is 10 years on top of the remaining 2 with only a fraction guaranteed Mahomes average is yet to be known in reality. I will say this, it didn't hurt Dallas imo. A more cut and dry, shorter deal where his true apy left little wiggle room would have been more detrimental to our cause. I agree both Watson and Ljax will be very close to Mahomes, at the least I still believe Mahomes set the market for the next few seasons.

I agree with you on Dak likely being more expensive if or when we do get a long term deal hammer out. Although the big caveat is the health of the league and the possibility of less revenue and a shrinking cap.

I preferred we got a deal hammered out, but at the same time I dont believe this is a terrible scenario for the team. Dak is a good, not great qb at this point in his career. Although his numbers have been consistent over all we have seen a mixture of good and bad Dak. Many have placed the majority of blame on coaching, and some on the players around him. What I feel confident in is that given the right coaching and players around him he can be a very good qb. What we are paying for is not a product of his surroundings, but the engine that drives the team.

The question remains, can Dak consistently step up and be the catalyst for this offense? I look forward to this season as the first season in a long time where we as fans can rightfully criticize the players, rather than scapegoat the coaches. Dak has everything in place now and the opportunity to step into the role of an elite qb.

If Dak is able to do so it will cost us a pretty penny, however if he is not we will have the opportunity to go out and get a qb that elevates everyone around him. In that the front office gets a win, from me at least. I still say the worst case scenario for Dak this season is to miss a string of games and have Dalton come in and not skip a beat. If that happens Daks value will be hugely in question.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mahomes contract is still difficult to decipher for me. He averages 39.5, but considering it is 10 years on top of the remaining 2 with only a fraction guaranteed Mahomes average is yet to be known in reality. I will say this, it didn't hurt Dallas imo. A more cut and dry, shorter deal where his true apy left little wiggle room would have been more detrimental to our cause. I agree both Watson and Ljax will be very close to Mahomes, at the least I still believe Mahomes set the market for the next few seasons.

I agree with you on Dak likely being more expensive if or when we do get a long term deal hammer out. Although the big caveat is the health of the league and the possibility of less revenue and a shrinking cap.

I preferred we got a deal hammered out, but at the same time I dont believe this is a terrible scenario for the team. Dak is a good, not great qb at this point in his career. Although his numbers have been consistent over all we have seen a mixture of good and bad Dak. Many have placed the majority of blame on coaching, and some on the players around him. What I feel confident in is that given the right coaching and players around him he can be a very good qb. What we are paying for is not a product of his surroundings, but the engine that drives the team.

The question remains, can Dak consistently step up and be the catalyst for this offense? I look forward to this season as the first season in a long time where we as fans can rightfully criticize the players, rather than scapegoat the coaches. Dak has everything in place now and the opportunity to step into the role of an elite qb.

If Dak is able to do so it will cost us a pretty penny, however if he is not we will have the opportunity to go out and get a qb that elevates everyone around him. In that the front office gets a win, from me at least. I still say the worst case scenario for Dak this season is to miss a string of games and have Dalton come in and not skip a beat. If that happens Daks value will be hugely in question.
The argument for a reduced Salary Cap is short sighted .

The NFLPA bargaining agreement is due to be renegotiated in 2021 which normally brings about increases . Not to mention a huge increase in TV revenue coming up in 2023 when the 17th game is scheduled.

Any reduced cap that could arise from the current situation could only be temporary at best. Remember the Cap is adjusted every year.

The new deals for the league and NFLPA are a big reason Dak only wanted a 4 year deal is the fact everyone expects the revenue to seriously increase by 2023.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s amusing how some fans continue to need some team success validation to prop up their value of our QB.

After 4 years they aren’t able to make a personal evaluation of his talent level, production and performance not to mention his stamina, character and leadership.

He checks all the boxes except for the championships which in their mind is directly attributable to their QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak makes me stop.

I think about..

"What is he thinking here?"

I think he knows he was as lucky as hell being drafted by a good team. Then he has to know the reality is he was only a FOURTH Rd. pick.

That few of those go on and succeed. Most are out of the league by their 3rd TC.

It's a bit of a scam he is running. He sees he has a hungry owner who will sell the house for another SB before he has to retire.

Dak has no idea if he can really do it but he is trying to fit what Jerrah wants.

Dak saw it happen with Romo before him. An undrafted QB who didn't win much parlied a football career into the top TV analyst job.

So Dak knows what he wants. He just has to maneuver Jerrah to get it.

Stop. I don't think he actually cares where he plays just as long as he gets top dollar, like most players. He's set for life no matter where he plays.

Reactions: CWR

kskboys

Reaction score
Stop. I don't think he actually cares where he plays just as long as he gets top dollar, like most players. He's set for life no matter where he plays.
He was set for life before contract negotiations.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s amusing how some fans continue to need some team success validation to prop up their value of our QB.

After 4 years they aren’t able to make a personal evaluation of his talent level, production and performance not to mention his stamina, character and leadership.

He checks all the boxes except for the championships which in their mind is directly attributable to their QB.
He's a good player, but he's far from checking all the boxes.

CWR

Reaction score
The argument for a reduced Salary Cap is short sighted .

The NFLPA bargaining agreement is due to be renegotiated in 2021 which normally brings about increases . Not to mention a huge increase in TV revenue coming up in 2023 when the 17th game is scheduled.

Any reduced cap that could arise from the current situation could only be temporary at best. Remember the Cap is adjusted every year.

The new deals for the league and NFLPA are a big reason Dak only wanted a 4 year deal is the fact everyone expects the revenue to seriously increase by 2023.

Yeah I realize that is why he wanted a four year deal. Hopefully the season plays out wonderfully, but there is a real threat to league revenue currently.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah I realize that is why he wanted a four year deal. Hopefully the season plays out wonderfully, but there is a real threat to league revenue currently.
Yea but it’s most likely just a one year set back at best. And why several teams like the Chiefs didn’t flinch.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's a good player, but he's far from checking all the boxes.
Yea, that comment left opened some scrutiny .

I was referring to the boxes I mentioned. It’s too general a comment leaving room to be questioned.

I agree. He doesn’t check all of my boxes either.

Flamma

Reaction score
I am sure we both understand that.

He's getting advice from his agent that is damaging his image for sure.

I know. I guess it is different for us and most regular people. The offer he was given would have set him up for life 10 times over. Could he get more? Maybe. Did he think he was being disrespected? Maybe. Does any of that matter when you're set up for life? Absolutely not IMO.

CWR

Reaction score
Yea but it’s most likely just a one year set back at best. And why several teams like the Chiefs didn’t flinch.

You're probably right, but it will be interesting to watch how it affects negotiations next year. I dont doubt many FOs will be more hesitant than in past off-seasons. At the end of the day this still screams to me that Dak isn’t viewed as a Russell Wilson, Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers caliber qb by our front office. We are also talking about huge egos and a team which right or wrong is continually lauded for their great talent. Im certain JJ has happily bought into that narrative, and likely devalued his QB in the process. Sure he talks about Dak one way in public, but behind closed doors he didn't get a deal done for a reason. I still like Dak and will root for him, but to a man Im positive I'll be more critical as well.

CWR

Reaction score

Also think the Chiefs didn’t flinch because they have a massive amount of room to move money on that contract and with such comparatively little guarantees the only real risk they face is the catastrophic injury guarantees and an accelerated cap charge if Mahomes is forced into an abrupt retirement.

johneric8

Reaction score
I don't know how to make it any plainer.

Personally I like Dak.

But at some point you have to stop planing his game.

Or maybe it's his agents game.

Which I suspect. But it just seemed disingenuous what Dak is doing.

If I was Jerrah and having to keep being embarrassed by these hollow offers..

I would just not pick up the phone when Dak wants to talk. Dak needs to get face to face with Jerrah and Jerrah needs to look him in the eye and say..

"No mas.. final offer."

Then say he will use the bathroom and be back to pickup the signed contract or Dak needs to shake hands and it's over.

Enough. Really.

Jerrah is the billionaire here.

Dak is an employee.

But you're missing one important part here.. When you say things like Jerry is the owner and Dak is the employee, you're implying that he is simply just a standard hire with the rules of a company like taco bell... The name of the game in the NFL is that you play under a contract and depending on how well you play this dictates your market value. Who sets the market value? Inflation and performance does and there is a very large gray area here with lots of moving parts... Dak is simply looking at what he has done thus far for the minuscule pay he has received and trying to get the best contract possible.

We can argue all day in terms of what dak is really worth, but at the end of the day what he is worth is what someone is willing to pay. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I believe that Big Mike is happy to have Dak on a tag in case they have a lack of chemistry. If things go well you can be damn sure the Jerry will get Dak signed.

johneric8

Reaction score
What a lot of people fail to understand is that we don't know what Dak wants. He may not care what team he plays for or what weapons he has going forward. Would a WR want to play for the Chiefs or the Jags? Tell him how much he's making and you'll get your answer. It could be for an insignificant amount, and he'll tell you he loves the Jags organization and teammates. That's how most players are.

The only odd thing about this decision is the risk he's willing to take. An injury, even if it's only for 4 or 5 weeks, could derail his entire season. Like the other guy said, he could catch you know what and be out a minimum of 3 weeks, if not longer. The Cowboys could have a bad season. It may not be his fault, but people will point at every little mistake. He's not only betting on himself, he's betting on the Cowboys. And for what, the difference of a 4 or 5 year contract? You call that a smart business move? Keep in mind, in order to get another big contract after 4 years you actually have to play well in those 4 years. If he prices himself off the Cowboys and gets his 4 years in Jacksonville or Indianapolis, he probably won't get another big contract.

Sure, but again Dak is an eternal optimist, and I'm sure he isn't thinking about the team or himself failing. He is already filthy rich, so he is playing the game, and I for one don't blame him at this point. I think some of us forget that Dak well exceeded his contract pay over the years and was the ultimate professional, I think in his mind it's time to show some love back.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sure, but again Dak is an eternal optimist, and I'm sure he isn't thinking about the team or himself failing. He is already filthy rich, so he is playing the game, and I for one don't blame him at this point. I think some of us forget that Dak well exceeded his contract pay over the years and was the ultimate professional, I think in his mind it's time to show some love back.

That's fine. As long as he's not dead set on playing for the Cowboys. That him betting on himself and the team will make him more money, just not necessarily in Dallas. You don't pay a QB for what he did in the past, but what you expect him to do in the future. Which isn't much if he's taking up 20% of the cap.

The cap is probably not going up next year. He might just price himself out of Dallas if he does well. There is no way the Cowboys pay him 40M a year on a 4 year deal. That just can't happen. It would have to be more like 6-8 years. But he doesn't want that.