Dak, like Romo, is a garbage stat QB

phildadon86

Reaction score
No it means you are using the rare occurence to make a point when he has less rare occurences than most of the best out there!

That is not logical!
You think that from 2007 to 2014 it was rare that Romo threw a game ending pick? lol. He threw 5 against the Bills. We won that game but I mean come on man. Stop defending the guy. He aint here anymore and doesnt read the board. I promise you that.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Has Romo or Dak ever played with a Top 10 OC? I'll wait!

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
It's not just about INTs. Prescott has 4 turnovers over the past 5 games sir. Most in the fourth quarter. It didn't ALL CLICK for Romo in 2014. He beat Rodgers that year in passer rating (113.2)...a rating that is 8 points higher than Prescott's best season (2016). Unless you want to admit that it ALL CLICKED for Prescott with a pro-bowl o-line and a RB contributing 2,000 all purpose yards in 2016. He hasn't beat his 2016 rating (104.9) since then and won't beat it this year (100.9 currently).

After 2008, Romo had only ONE season where he threw more than 10 INTs. That was in 2012, with a not great line, not great running game (only 1,265 yds rushing that year) and throwing the ball an avg of 40.5 att/gm.

Prescott has had the following in the running game:
2016...2396 yds
2017...2170 yds
2018...1963 yds
2019...2153 yds

Why do some keep forgetting about the year that Murray had in 2014, which was Romo's best season and perhaps one of the best rosters the Cowboys had in the las 25 years? Murray was so good in that season, that he was often in the debate for whether or not he was the best RB in the NFL at that time and Murray won offensive player of the year. And even after Murray left, a lot of fans were contributing his success to the Cowboys OL, especially when he didn't have nearly as much success with other teams, as he did with the Cowboys in 2014. Romo's teams were discussed at the time for having some very good OLs. Again which is proven that if you go back and look at some of the debate about Murray leaving, a lot said that he owed his success to the OL.

So again it seems like some are downplaying the teams that Romo had. When he had some very solid running backs or rushing attacks to help him out during his time with the Cowboys. In each of the best team's the Cowboys had during Romo's era, he had a solid rushing attack to back him up. So it's not like Romo hasn't benefited the most when he has a top running back, who put the Cowboys in the top 5 of rushing offense for those particular seasons. Not a coincidence that 2007 and 2014, debated as the teams the Cowboys have had in 25 years, had Marion Barber and Murray contributing to the success of those seasons. Yet some act like Dak is the only QB who does better or has a better season, when the rushing game is working or when the offense is more balanced and doesn't have to rely on the solely on the pass.

Now some are acting like Romo was always flawless in every ball that he threw and never made costly mistakes. I recall how the Cowboys lost a game to Green Bay with Matt Flynn and the controversy that surrounded that game, when the ball was taken away from Murray and Garrett decided to pass more with the lead. Then Romo threw INTs which allowed the Packers to get back into the game or helped them to come back and win it. So Dak hasn't been playing his best recently, but let's not act like Romo didn't have his fair share of bad games or that the Cowboys didn't have some painful and ugly losses with him, in which his costly mistakes or inability to get the offense going at the time it was needed the most, didn't contribute to some of the losses the franchise had during his era.

Last edited:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
You think that from 2007 to 2014 it was rare that Romo threw a game ending pick? lol. He threw 5 against the Bills. We won that game but I mean come on man. Stop defending the guy. He aint here anymore and doesnt read the board. I promise you that.

The Bills were a horrible team that season and still Romo received credit for that comeback and over coming his 5 INTs. But now with Dak it's just "Dak beats nothing but bad teams." Even though some of Romo's best games, stats and highlights would have come against teams below .500. Like many NFL QBs best career highlights have.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Yes it was rare compared to the top QB's of his time. You just ate the cheese that all the sports shows showed you. I can't help it that you fell for it because Cowboys make news. Ever since he fumbled the snap he was ESPN's go to guy if he ever did anything wrong and they harped on it day and night and you believed it.

You were sucked as BP would say!

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes it was rare compared to the top QB's of his time. You just ate the cheese that all the sports shows showed you. I can't help it that you fell for it because Cowboys make news. Ever since he fumbled the snap he was ESPN's go to guy if he ever did anything wrong and they harped on it day and night and you believed it.

I think you may be delusional. I watched literally every game the Cowboys played and Romo threw a lot of INT's lol. If you are saying it was rare you need to seek help.

Ken

Reaction score
2007 was wildly over-rated as far as the offense is concerned. Romo in fact hid the warts of Jason Garrett’s play-calling even then. Dallas even when they were the number 1 offense in the league was basically in third and longs more than any other team in the league, right up there with garbage teams like SF.

For Romo to perform that well in this context, is mind-boggling to just how good he was and how much he was carrying the trash.

Romo in fact was delivering at an absurd rate on third and long even in 2007, to the point it was unsustainable. They had no run game and Garrett was simply garbage as a play caller. That’s why the passing game in reality struggled to close out the season.

This idea he had turn over warts is completely bogus. In reality, he was constantly being asked to overcome third and longs from his very first season starting and his completely incompetent player never provided him any help.

This idea his OL was amazing and was good rushing is a joke, considering this stat.

Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott starting and the back stabbing of Romo are among the worst decisions this franchise ever made period. Jason Garrett outside of Dallas got a chance to prove his incompetent he was in NY which he did even better than expected and raise the legend of Romo even higher.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2007/fun-dallas-third-down
I remember and Romo was stellar on 3rd and longs that year.

I never felt like we couldn't get a first down ever.

Having said that, he had a prime TO and a Prime Jason Witten to throw to. Two of the most dominant players at their respective positions at that time.

Just sayin'

khiladi

Reaction score
I remember and Romo was stellar on 3rd and longs that year.

I never felt like we couldn't get a first down ever.

Having said that, he had a prime TO and a Prime Jason Witten to throw to. Two of the most dominant players at their respective positions at that time.

Just sayin'

Doesn’t matter, even if we assume that’s true for TO and Witten. Witten played here a number of years and he never had breakaway speed and TO played on plenty of other explosive offenses. The numbers that Romo was performing at on this down for a large part of the season were completely ridiculous and unsustainable no matter the personnel.

However, that third-down performance is totally and completely unsustainable, and when it comes back to earth, the Cowboys will not look as formidable as they do now. No team has ever put up a third-down passing DVOA over 100%. Only three teams have ever been over 75%: the 1999 Rams (76.4%), the 2004 Vikings (88.7%), and the 2006 Colts (93.1%).

Romo for at least a third of the season, not sure how it carried over, was operating at 90% total on third down and if you look at just passing it was 133%.
That just shows how much pressure was on Romo o carry this offense even in the season people generally claim as his best team. Garrett was that awful and this issue carried over as long as he had control of this offense.

This idea Romo was TO-prone by nature and it wasn’t rooted in the fact he was tasked with doing too much isn’t supported by what actually happened.

Thr only real season you can look at regarding Romo outside the Garrett context is 2014 and he was arguably the MVP. It was him that was dictating the run game and his TD efficiency throwing the ball per number of attempts was ridiculous. Plus, even though they were 23rd in play action passing, which was actually more than Garrett himself used, Romo basically led the league in chunk plays at close to 11 YPG, ahead of even Manning. On the other hand, as soon as Dak was put on the field, Dallas essentially became a play action passing team, becoming top 3 in usage.

kramskoi

Reaction score
And there were times where Romo threw actual INTs to allow the other team to come back and win the game, like that game against the Lions. Romo got a reputation for throwing INTs or making costly mistakes when the game was on the line, sometimes the reputation was unfair, but at others Romo did make costly mistakes and wasn't always guaranteed to come up with an important drive or elite play, in some of the biggest games or key elimination games that the Cowboys had during his career. Sometimes Romo did come through and sometimes he didn't, but now some want to say that he would be guaranteed to come through in the big games the Cowboys have had and lost with Dak as the QB, when Romo still was prone every now and then to making costly mistakes or committing turnovers, even years into his career where he was considered to be a veteran QB.

Also how anyone with time on their hands can go back and look up all of the "almost Interceptions" that Romo had his career, since it seems like this is a stat that some have used to single out Dak. Like other QBs don't have "almost interceptions". or luck out because their almost INTs were either dropped by a defensive player or because it got negated by a penalty.
I will say this again...after 2008 Romo had only one season where he threw more than 10 INTs (2012 with just 1,265 total yds from the running game). He was simply being asked to do too much as Prescott is now. When Romo got a running game he beat out Rodgers in passer rating (Romo led the league in 2014).

Romo was always pushing the ball down the field. He was a greedy quarterback. Prescott is not. He will take what the defense gives him more times than not. He is risk averse, which is not a bad thing but there are times when the team needs him to be greedy.

Stop with the almost interceptions. Prescott has 4 turnovers over the last 5 games...be it by fumbles loss or INT. He is not taking care of the ball...especially in the fourth quarter.
You are right, i need to watch more because after watching the Cards All 22, it was obvious that it wasn't Dak's fault and those "breaking down film" have agendas and linger on a few plays and ignore the great ones or the MANY where he is set up to fail.

They also ignore trying to field an offense with a hobbit in the backfield and how that negatively impacts the overall offense.
Right...nothing was Dak's fault and everyone objectively evaluating him has an agenda. Apocryphal, apologist dogma sir...with a tincture of denial. We all want to see this team get to the trophy room...and that ain't gonna happen unless we are honest about what is happening on the field of late. It's not all Prescott's fault but some of it is...and at the end of the day, fair or not, he is going to be the one all the eyes are on. The slow starts, the turnovers in the fourth quarter in consecutive games, the check-down propensity...not pushing the ball down the field when it matters. All that stuff is of legitimate concern.

I want Prescott to succeed. There is no other recourse now that he has been paid but people (himself included) are not being put in the best position to get the most from the offense.

Ken

Reaction score
I will say this again...after 2008 Romo had only one season where he threw more than 10 INTs (2012 with just 1,265 total yds from the running game). He was simply being asked to do too much as Prescott is now. When Romo got a running game he beat out Rodgers in passer rating (Romo led the league in 2014).

Romo was always pushing the ball down the field. He was a greedy quarterback. Prescott is not. He will take what the defense gives him more times than not. He is risk averse, which is not a bad thing but there are times when the team needs him to be greedy.

Stop with the almost interceptions. Prescott has 4 turnovers over the last 5 games...be it by fumbles loss or INT. He is not taking care of the ball...especially in the fourth quarter.

Right...nothing was Dak's fault and everyone objectively evaluating him has an agenda. Apocryphal, apologist dogma sir...with a tincture of denial. We all want to see this team get to the trophy room...and that ain't gonna happen unless we are honest about what is happening on the field of late. It's not all Prescott's fault but some of it is...and at the end of the day, fair or not, he is going to be the one all the eyes are on. The slow starts, the turnovers in the fourth quarter in consecutive games, the check-down propensity...not pushing the ball down the field when it matters. All that stuff is of legitimate concern.

I want Prescott to succeed. There is no other recourse now that he has been paid but people (himself included) are not being put in the best position to get the most from the offense.
A few things on your responses:

1. After 2008 Romo had only one season more than 10 ints. He only played 5 more seasons with 15 or more games. Every other season was cut short by injury. In 2010 he had 7 ints in 6 games and the team was 1-5. In 2014 he threw it only
29 times a game. Dak throws in 39 times a game this year (and since like 2018). It is amazing how time tends to leave all the bad out and magnify the good.

2. There is plenty of fault in Dak's play. I just feel like people linger on it and make whatever bad plays he has out to be all he is. His good plays are because of the talent around him or he was lucky. It is ridiculous.

Ken

Reaction score
A few things on your responses:

1. After 2008 Romo had only one season more than 10 ints. He only played 5 more seasons with 15 or more games. Every other season was cut short by injury. In 2010 he had 7 ints in 6 games and the team was 1-5. In 2014 he threw it only
29 times a game. Dak throws in 39 times a game this year (and since like 2018). It is amazing how time tends to leave all the bad out and magnify the good.

2. There is plenty of fault in Dak's play. I just feel like people linger on it and make whatever bad plays he has out to be all he is. His good plays are because of the talent around him or he was lucky. It is ridiculous.
Oh, and in 2015 he had 7 ints in 4 games before going down for the year.

This was after his amazing 2014 season.

Ring Leader

Reaction score

:clap:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dak seems to be similar to Romo in being a QB who puts up good stats and wins against average teams and also puts up good stats against good teams but it seems to be late game catchup stats which ultimately come up short after falling behind early.
Romo did what Dak can't do and that is beat solid teams. When Romo was playing on Sundays he gave us a chance.