Dak, like Romo, is a garbage stat QB

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
That also applies to Dan Marino given that you don't consider it to be a team game.
Marino is one of the GREATEST QB's of ALL TIME who at least played in a super bowl. No comparison to this misplaced worship of Romo..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Makes me wonder what they would say about the 2016 roster if Romo took over like they believed he should have, but then the Cowboys still didn't win a Super Bowl in that year. Would some then claim that the 2016 team was untalented or "no help" for Romo as well? And the the same for the 2018, 2021 Cowboys rosters and so on?

Because Dak was leading the team they claim that was the greatest Cowboys team ever since our 90s championships. Some claim we would have won the Super Bowl that year had Romo gotten his job back even though it was our defense that got us beat in the playoffs. Had Romo been the QB they would’ve downplayed that team just like the other good teams he had. They would’ve continued to spin those teams weren’t that good.

Swagger

Reaction score
It was just the name "Cabo"....sounds exotic. Simple 2 hour flight from Dallas....closer than driving to Oklahoma City. Go hang out in a house with girl friends and watch football and chill.

Most of the rest of the team went to Miami or Las Vegas...... the same difference or far worse.
And the ones that stayed here camped out in the strip clubs. Cabo seemed like kindergarten in comparison. It was all perspective.
So true.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Makes me wonder what they would say about the 2016 roster if Romo took over like they believed he should have, but then the Cowboys still didn't win a Super Bowl in that year. Would some then claim that the 2016 team was untalented or "no help" for Romo as well? And the the same for the 2018, 2021 Cowboys rosters and so on?
You don’t have to wonder. We already know the answer. Regardless of how poorly Romo played, there was always an excuse for how the team still could have won if someone else didn’t make a mistake. The team was never good enough for Romo to win with, but oddly enough, every game we lost when he couldn’t play, they would say Romo would have won the game.

It’s the should’ve, could’ve, would’ve and people who use that tactic know it can’t be disproven.

Swagger

Reaction score
Which one is a 1st. Ballot HALL OF FAMER and which one needs to buy a ticket [like the rest of us] to get in?
You miss my point. I agree Dan Marino was obviously amazing but given that even he didn't win a Superbowl, it shows it doesn't matter how good the QB is if he doesn't have sufficient quality around him.

Big_D

Reaction score
Still don't get why some feel the need to downplay or diminish the teams that Romo had. They can try to have revisionists history now or look back and insist that Romo never got the proper help or a team that was good enough for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl or make a deep playoff run with, but at the time, during the 2007 or 2014 seasons, I'm sure that the Cowboys were believed amongst sports media and in the NFL world, to have one of the most talented rosters in the league.

The narrative now with Dak is that *insert QB* could win a Super Bowl with this roster, when Dak can't and yet I'm sure that there were Romo critics back then who are saying the same thing, claiming that Peyton Manning, Brady or whichever QB was viewed as elite during Romo's era, could have won a Super Bowl with the teams that Romo had or had more success with the teams that Romo had. Romo during the time got a reputation (perhaps sometimes unfairly) of being a "choker" who couldn't get it done in December or in the playoffs. But, now some want to build him up to be a QB who would always rise up and come through in the big games and big moments, where they doubt that Dak can be able to do.

And the reputation of the Cowboys being a team who would always be one and done, and get bounced from the first round, happened during Romo's time and has carried over to Dak's. But, again now some insist that Romo would be guaranteed to come through in some of the big games that the Cowboys have lost with Dak or blame Dak for the Cowboys losing. Despite the "choker" label the media and some NFL fans gave to him.

LOL I like how you completely skip over 6 full seasons. In those 6 seasons Jerry was a complete dumazz. Even in 2014 Romo's already 34 years old at that point. Jerry screwed that team.. that's exactly what happened. No need to diminish anything. 2007 there was a quality team in place and within a few short years Jerry worked his usual magic and ran them into the ground.

Ken

Reaction score
I wish we had Romo with this defense now . Dak is not even close to Romo .
Heck , Dak overcame so many obstacles during games and was a threat . Dak has it all now and fails every important game , and then some .
Romo in which year of his career? I loved Romo as much as anyone, but, he turned it over a TON.

If you are thinking 2014 Romo(his best year)...he was pretty brittle by then. We ran the ball so much that it kept his exposure down and he was very efficient.

We don't have that running game however.

Then if you take the 2007 Romo...he would turn it over too much to gain any of the benefit of the #1 turnover team in the league.

I do think we would be very good with Romo...i can't say we would be better, however.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Yeah, I know he's led the team to a bunch of great regular season wins.

He asked about standout playoff wins....so not just any playoff win. We totally curb-stomped the Eagles in the 2009 playoffs, so it wasn't all that dramatic.

Falling 14 behind to the best defense we have faced in the playoffs since the Aikman years, and coming back to win in a dramatic late 4th qtr drive was the very definition of clutch....kn other way to describe it.

Too bad it ended the next week after the overturned catch vs Green Bay.
To Bad Murray fumbled

stuckindc

Reaction score
I watched the Seattle game from 2014 the other day. Teams rarely won there back then against the Legion of Boom. Dallas' Special teams gave up two touchdowns and the centre bobbled the snap giving up another possession yet Romo and the offense still hung 30 points on them and secured the W. It was noticeable how many 3rd and longs Romo executed on the day. Clutch.
We physically pounded them and Murray steamrolled Sherman to shut the door..that was a huge win

stuckindc

Reaction score
The Lions were the highest rated defense Dallas has played in the playoffs in a very long time. Suh, Fairley, etc....pretty dominant.
Seattle was probably still the best D in 2014 but Detroit was right behind them

The WORST pass defense we have ever faced in the playoffs was vs the 2016 Packers (31st ranked and just plain awful both statistically and in real life)
We need that Dak..he played to win and kept coming after them
.after they fell behind..we left to much time for AAron

stuckindc

Reaction score
Would have been nice to see Romo with Zeke

starfan1

Reaction score
They did it on the old, defunct site and it did a world of good. It cut down 90% of squabbles and one could consciously choose to enter that site if they chose to do battle,....it was the Romo sub-forum
Never seen that this place needs it now

DFWJC

Reaction score
Normally--not always--you need to be on several capable teams that keep knocking on the door until you finally breakthrough.
Pointing out 1-2 good teams over 8 year period and saying you had to win it all one of those two years is preposterous.

Brees managed to get one.....in 20 years. Has had numerous teams that were near top in the league, but only won it all once.
Rodgers has managed to get one in 13 years (might finally get his 2nd)
Peyton Manning managed to get one in 13 years in Indy....but had maybe 7-8 really strong teams.
Could go on and on.....you normally need to have multiple chances to really have a fair shot at it.

If you only start 8 full seasons and realistically only play on two teams capable of pulling it off if all goes right.
Well, it's not really surprising that you didn't get a title or even close.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fwiw, Tony did engineer a very late 4th quarter game-winning drive in a playoff game in a win in 2014....vs the best defense we have faced in the playoffs since the 90s.

Not sure if that counts or not, but it was pretty dramatic and was the biggest comeback playoff win (down 14 points) we've had since 1994.

The best playoff defense we faced since the 90's was the 2007 Giants. I'm a romo fan. He had some great opportunities blown in 2006 2007, and 2014. His career just pales in comparison to what Aikman and Staubach accomplished QBing their teams. I do recognize he was handicapped by Garret, but at the end of the day, 1 or 2 playoff wins over a 9-10 year career QBing the Dallas Cowboys just isn't enough.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The best playoff defense we faced since the 90's was the 2007 Giants. I'm a romo fan. He had some great opportunities blown in 2006 2007, and 2014. It just pales in comparison to what Aikman and Stauback accomplished QBing their teams.
Possibly so on the 2007 Giants....
Mainly due to how well they were peaking.
On paper, the ions were far better, but come playoff time, that Giants bunch was lights out.
In fact, Dallas scored more vs them then the Pats did, and that was with 2-3 possible TD drops.

Staubach was Staubach. Another level.
I don't think any way in hell Aikman wins a SB with any of Romo's teams and coaching staffs. 2007 was Romo 1st full year starting. Aikman in his 1st (or 2nd) full year starting was not yet what he was 2 years after that.
For that matter, neither was Romo.

But that's all theoretical.

Last edited:

basel90

Reaction score
Romo in which year of his career? I loved Romo as much as anyone, but, he turned it over a TON.

If you are thinking 2014 Romo(his best year)...he was pretty brittle by then. We ran the ball so much that it kept his exposure down and he was very efficient.

We don't have that running game however.

Then if you take the 2007 Romo...he would turn it over too much to gain any of the benefit of the #1 turnover team in the league.

. I do think we would be very good with Romo...i can't say we would be better, however.
Yes ,there were some rough patches with romo but not manyThe overall raw talent of Romo , accuracy , placement , improvisation and game management are qualities that separate him from Dak . Remember the 50-51 game against the broncos for example , Dak could not pull something like this off .
Dak is wildly inconsistent and his accuracy is in question . Wirh romo you could see him pull off some touchdowns and extend plays . With dak , well , if the running game is off , or if there is pressure from the defense , he is pretty much done .