Dak Prescott 2 in Total QBR

Nav22

Reaction score
It's about time the Total QBR stat started getting more love. People scoff because ESPN created it, but the truth is that ESPN has a tremendous Stats & Info department.

This stat is a HUGE improvement over the ridiculously antiquated Passer Rating.

Things Total QBR takes into account that Passer Rating completely ignores: rush yards, fumbles, game situation (a TD pass in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss counts less than a game-winning TD pass), 3rd-down efficiency (an 8-yard completion on 3rd and 10 counts less than an 8-yard completion on 3rd and 8).

Ken

Reaction score
Throwing on the run with accuracy isn't easy......Dak makes it look easy. Really impressed with that aspect of his game.

QBR is a better representation of how good a QB is than QB rating IMO. But goodness what a shame what happened to Watson. He was going to have a historic season.
I agree.

I came away unimpressed a number of games by Carson Wentz, well documented on this site. Each time, it was represented well by TQBR. Like yesterday, how does he end up with 4 tds and have over 10 points under Dak? Because he wasn't doing anything special, like i have been saying.

However, in the game against the Commanders where he threw 4 and i said he actually made about 5 or 6 difference making plays, he had his highest TQBR of the season.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree.

I came away unimpressed a number of games by Carson Wentz, well documented on this site. Each time, it was represented well by TQBR. Like yesterday, how does he end up with 4 tds and have over 10 points under Dak? Because he wasn't doing anything special, like i have been saying.

However, in the game against the Commanders where he threw 4 and i said he actually made about 5 or 6 difference making plays, he had his highest TQBR of the season.

Wentz is third in the league in QBR. So he must be doing something right.

You have claimed he stinks and overrated, and then use QBR to prove your point not realizing that QBR has him as an elite QB (along with Prescott who is #2).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree.

Not shocking to me because that Deadskins game was impressive. Dak had a higher QBR than him yesterday? It does show how well a QB is playing. Which made what Watson was doing incredible.

I wouldn't trade Dak for anyone. You can tell me he's not as fast as Cam....doesn't have Wentz's arm or Russell's elusiveness.....but no one can show me a young quarterback with his swagger and his will to win. When the football is in his hands.....I don't have any fear of a stupid play happening. He may miss a receiver here or there........he's not going to hurt his team though.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
We will get a really good picture of where he is in two weeks against Philly.

We know where he is.

giphy.gif

html5

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
It's about time the Total QBR stat started getting more love. People scoff because ESPN created it, but the truth is that ESPN has a tremendous Stats & Info department.

This stat is a HUGE improvement over the ridiculously antiquated Passer Rating.

Things Total QBR takes into account that Passer Rating completely ignores: rush yards, fumbles, game situation (a TD pass in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss counts less than a game-winning TD pass), 3rd-down efficiency (an 8-yard completion on 3rd and 10 counts less than an 8-yard completion on 3rd and 8).

It's also flawed a bit. For example, the formula has kicked out results where one time, Aaron Rodgers completed 26 of 39 passes for 400 yards and two TDs in a win and Tebow completed ten passes for 79 yards and ran for a TD in a loss and the formula said Tebow was better that day.

That would be preposterous.

Ken

Reaction score
Wentz is third in the league in QBR. So he must be doing something right.

You have claimed he stinks and overrated, and then use QBR to prove your point not realizing that QBR has him as an elite QB (along with Prescott who is #2).
He clearly is doing some things right but their are flaws in how he plays the position. Listening to you and a few others...he is Jesus Christ. Yet he has been behind Dak all season and only recently has he closed the gap because of a good string of games and Dak's relative clunker in the quagmire last week where he didn't have to win the game because Zeke did.

He DOES NOT and I don't care how much anyone disagrees....DOES NOT go through his progressions. I am AMAZED that no team has made him pay so far this year. It is amazing to me that NFL teams have not figured this out yet and let him go to his first read 90% of the time. Giving credit to where it is due...he did dismantle the Broncos yesterday...but it really wasn't from much that he did that made that happen. Scheme made that happen, which is again...amazing that teams haven't figure their scheme out yet.

I am heartened by what we did to the chiefs yesterday....they are the same offense as the Eagles and it will be a great test all the way around when we play them in two weeks.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dak played well yesterday. Some erratic throws, but some brilliant play, too.

We will get a really good picture of where he is in two weeks against Philly.

HUH? Why is that? We're at mid-season......most, if not all, players have found their game. I seriously doubt there's more growing for Dak at this time w/o the benefit of an offseason but the Dak we have now is good, damn good.

Sydla

Reaction score
He clearly is doing some things right but their are flaws in how he plays the position. Listening to you and a few others...he is Jesus Christ. Yet he has been behind Dak all season and only recently has he closed the gap because of a good string of games and Dak's relative clunker in the quagmire last week where he didn't have to win the game because Zeke did.

He DOES NOT and I don't care how much anyone disagrees....DOES NOT go through his progressions. I am AMAZED that no team has made him pay so far this year. It is amazing to me that NFL teams have not figured this out yet and let him go to his first read 90% of the time. Giving credit to where it is due...he did dismantle the Broncos yesterday...but it really wasn't from much that he did that made that happen. Scheme made that happen, which is again...amazing that teams haven't figure their scheme out yet.

I am heartened by what we did to the chiefs yesterday....they are the same offense as the Eagles and it will be a great test all the way around when we play them in two weeks.

I've said he's a top level QB. He's playing like one. You cited a stat to try to prove your point and yet the stat (QBR) would indicate that I am right............. he's playing like an elite level QB right now.

I mean you can't walk this back at this point.

Macnalty

Reaction score
There are like, maybe, 3 people saying that with Risen and mattjames (who never seems to be happy) being the most vocal.

Why exaggerate? Most of the others are simply just pointing out that Wentz is a great QB at this point but are content with Dak.
We need to hire the QB coach for Goff he is without a doubt the biggest surprise of the season....

Ken

Reaction score
It's also flawed a bit. For example, the formula has kicked out results where one time, Aaron Rodgers completed 26 of 39 passes for 400 yards and two TDs in a win and Tebow completed ten passes for 79 yards and ran for a TD in a loss and the formula said Tebow was better that day.

That would be preposterous.
I would imagine that the bulk of the Tds and yards came from dump passes that someone made the play on. And Tebow did his while scrambling and making something out of nothing. That would be my guess based on that scenario.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would imagine that the bulk of the Tds and yards came from dump passes that someone made the play on. And Tebow did his while scrambling and making something out of nothing. That would be my guess based on that scenario.

But even if that was the case (and given it's Rodgers, I doubt all he did was just dump the ball off), any formula that would spit out Tebow having a better game than Rodgers there has some flaws.

That being said, it appears ESPN actually tweaked their QBR in 2012 and 2013, largely because of bizarre outputs like the Rodgers/Tebow result.

Reactions: Ken

bsbellomy

Reaction score
No doubt that pure QB rating is also flawed. it leaves out rushing, for example.

The ESPN "QBR" has some speculative twists to it though.

Every once in awhile you'll see Brees wininng with 400 yards 4 Tds, no ints, but a lower QBR than someone with what appears to be a jag game--low yards, maybe a turnover, etc...and still a higher QBR than the near perfection of a Brees (or Brady or whomever). Sometimes it goes way off the reservation because it's not a pure stat.

In any case, Dak is kicking tail.

Have no idea what is in the formula, but it must place a premium on the qb running the ball, judging by the names at the top.

Which of qb rating doesn't take into account rushing the ball, then guys like Dak are definitely unfairly penalized because he is a huge threar with his legs.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s perfectly fine to prefer Dak over Wentz and say that You wouldn’t trade Dak for Wentz.

It does get preposterous if you try and say Wentz isn’t also very good.

I am a cowboys lover. But I truly believe that me preferring Dak over Wentz isn’t because of homerism.

They are different QB’s stylistically. Wentz physically is more gifted but Dak’s intangibles are through the roof.

Dak is ALL HEART. And I love that about him as a player.

pansophy

Reaction score
I agree.

Wentz is 4th in yards and Dak is 19th. So we can talk about QBR all day but there is a much bigger load on Wentz than Dak.

We should have a strong running attack for a long time so it may not matter, but let's not pretend that Dak is an elite passer at this point.