Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys are at an impasse over nothing

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How does he have more upside unless you’re strictly talking age when they are the same dang player. Dak is no more than 9/10 wins himself. We going to act like 13 wins is his normal? They are the same player in skill level overall.
His mobility , youth, health and game savvy IMO along with familiarity with offense provides for a bigger upside. Maybe to 10-12 wins maximum .

I don’t see them as the same dang player. But I’m not a stats guy either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t we be more more supportive of the deal the Cowboys are offering than the deal Dak is demanding ?

Isn’t what best best for the Cowboys Mgmt of the Cap in our best interest . Or has this become all about what’s best for Dak?

I’m sensing a mixed feeling here from some fans. Are we Cowboy fans or Dak fans?

Not you necessarily but a segment who feel Dak deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league. And is somehow being disrespected by a top 5 offer.

You could say that about any of the players. Was DLaw thinking of the team or himself? I accept the fact players will always have to do what is in their interest since a career last a short period of time. I have always been a fan of player and organization, Was I a Staubach fan or a Bob Lilly fan or a Cowboys fan? I would say both. I'm as much a fan of Dak as I was of Romo. I have always hated the business side especially in todays NFL where everyone is privy to the information and it becomes personal for people who actually have nothing to do with the team or the player.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You could say that about any of the players. Was DLaw thinking of the team or himself? I accept the fact players will always have to do what is in their interest since a career last a short period of time. I have always been a fan of player and organization, Was I a Staubach fan or a Bob Lilly fan or a Cowboys fan? I would say both. I'm as much a fan of Dak as I was of Romo. I have always hated the business side especially in todays NFL where everyone is privy to the information and it becomes personal for people who actually have nothing to do with the team or the player.
I’m not talking about what a players interest is. Of course they are going to negotiate in their behalf. I’m talking about us as fans of the franchise , not the players. I’m a fan of the sum. The players and coaches are all moving interchangeable pieces.

What’s our general attitude when we release players due to Cap implications. We usually go to bat for the Team. Why wouldn’t we in contract negotiations?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They always have the potential out because it's only the guaranteed money that matters and this might not be just about the length of this deal but the guaranteed money. It's all about the guaranteed money, especially to the agents.

I agree. Speculation is 106 mill guaranteed which would be spread across the length of the contract. Looking at Wilson as an example should the seahawks choose to forgo the contract in 2022 in would cost 13 mill against the cap yet would be a saving of 26 mill since the final year of the deal is worth 39 mill

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m not talking about what a players interest is. Of course they are going to negotiate in their behalf. I’m talking about us as fans of the franchise , not the players. I’m a fan of the sum. The players and coaches are all moving interchangeable pieces.

What’s our general attitude when we release players due to Cap implications. We usually go to bat for the Team. Why wouldn’t we in contract negotiations?

So us fans would be alright with players getting bad deals and getting ripped off by Tex in the early days? because it was all about the team? yet players are also part of the team. Dak is asking for a lot as most QB do. I also know the cap is not going to freeze it will continue to rise. I have been a fan of this team and players since 1965 to me players and team go hand in hand, I never begrudged Emmitt when he was holding out and missing a couple of games. I understand both sides of it.

I should have also mentioned players often times are willing to work with the team to free up cash and I expect that from Dak, Zeke, DLaw and others who have big contracts.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don’t get into the salary cap battle either. It always works itself out. And yes I prefer Dak over Dalton. But Dak is not here right now. I am just saying Dalton can win games for us if need be.
I think he is a much better option than Rush. that was the absolute right move to make. we did the same during Aikman era and it worked for us having competent back ups, like Kosar and Peete.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’m sure you’re the qb guru even though you’re posting on here right along with me. Like I said lay off the stuff. They’re the same player but yall are too blind or too something else that isn’t nice to say to see it. Spare me the bs their numbers are similar nobody but a Dak worshipper trying to split those numbers and make it seem like Dak some superior qb.
the FACTS are that they are not the same player, no matter how many time you try to say it....this ain't land of oz and no matter how many times you click your heels, you ain't getting back to Kansas Dorothy!

btw, I find it funny you call me dak worshiper, this past summer I was called a Dak hater..... being a realist is a kick!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree Dak gives us a better chance to win . And win now. Dalton shouldn’t even be in the discussion.

But the salary cap battle is not just about this year or next year. It’s about several years. And how much we can continue to surround him with this level of talent.

And why so many franchises struggle continuing winning championships after they pay their QB. Especially if it’s Elite money and that QB isn’t enough to carry them without as much supporting cast.
I agree, the salary cap battle is for several years, and based on NFL history and its success, it keeps going up....Giants signed Eli to the largest contract or largest QB contract at the time, but two years later, he was average and helped them win the superbowl. People said Giants were crazy....I get it that teams want to win in the first 5 years of their QB contract, but that's 5 teams out of 30 that perhaps can do that....couple of teams like Denver and Ravens build an all time defense to give themselves a shot. but teams have to now figure out the next phase of success and the how given there are a lot of young QBs coming to the end of their contracts and you can't let all of them go.....

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I don't really think we caved to Zeke. They added two years at the end of Zeke's contract to an outrageous amount so that Zeke could say he was the highest paid running back. He'll never see those years. He will either be cut if he is done or will restructure.

That is the same thing they are doing with Dak when they say he has a top five deal but the last two years have no guarantees. That is play money.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What this comes down to, at least it should, is Dallas does not see Dak as taking this team to the next step.

If you look at Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson, they continued to elevate the team after their first full years of starting. Lamar Jackson in Baltimore had a great year this past year starting so see what he does.

However, after he led Dallas to a 13-3 record (with a 1 and done playoff loss) his rookie year, Dak has led the Cowboys to an overall record of 27-21 (with 1 playoff win and 1 playoff loss) the next 3 seasons. He has not elevated the team in overall record or into the playoffs so why should Dallas give him a lucrative contract extension? Dak can rack up all the stats he wants personally but if he is not elevating the TEAM then he does not deserve a new contract (nor did I think Dallas should have given Romo a big new contract either as he did not elevate the team deep into the playoffs).

Dak Prescott stats his rookie year versus the next 3 years:

Rookie Year

16 Games 13 Wins 3 Losses (1 playoff loss)

311 completions 459 attempts 67.8% comp %

3,667 yards 23 TD's 4 Int's

Next 3 Seasons

48 Games 27 Wins 21 Losses (1 playoff win 1 playoff loss)

1,052 completions 1,612 attempts 65.3% comp %

12,111 yards 74 TD's 32 Int's

When you average out his 3 seasons after his rookie season, his statistics average the following:

16 Games 9 Wins 7 Losses

351 completions 537 attempts 65.4% comp %

4,037 yards 25 TD's 11 Int's

Instead of elevating the TEAM, Dak has barely led the team to a just over .500 record. Slam me if you want but the fact is Dak, just like Romo, has not elevated the TEAM.
so Dak carries all the culpability of wins and losses? no other part of the team is responsible?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak spraying the ball all over the field and being wildly inaccurate from moment to moment is par for the course. Zero evidence he was affected by the injury.
yet his completion percentage, and accuracy number say the exact opposite of agenda driven perceptions...hmmmm

Philmonroe

Reaction score
His mobility , youth, health and game savvy IMO along with familiarity with offense provides for a bigger upside. Maybe to 10-12 wins maximum .

I don’t see them as the same dang player. But I’m not a stats guy either.
I’m not a stats guy either and still know they are the same player. I didn’t even use stats but it was funny when people that do look at them found out they had similar stats in their first four years. Mobility? Where Daks mobility at? People stay asking for this guy to run more when he can and he rarely does. Game savvy? Sounds like some Tebow magic. I’ll give you the age and health because I don’t know Daltons health missing games wise. He is a consistent 9 wins on average qb outside of the fluke rookie year. That’s what he currently is so I’m not going to add up to 3 more wins when that’s the outlier season to this point.

Thanks for your reply though

Philmonroe

Reaction score
the FACTS are that they are not the same player, no matter how many time you try to say it....this ain't land of oz and no matter how many times you click your heels, you ain't getting back to Kansas Dorothy!

btw, I find it funny you call me dak worshiper, this past summer I was called a Dak hater..... being a realist is a kick!
The facts are the facts they are the same player. I don’t know what others call you but I’m calling you a Dak worshipper and if probably call you worse regarding Dak but this is a family site and all lol.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is why I’m so excited about McCarthy here. No longer will we have the coaching excuses.
that's key. with garrett and any other coach in the NFL it comes down to decisions, calls on a few play, specially in the 4th quarter. most games go into the 4th quarter within a score and thus decisions are critical, in the 4th and garrett somehow always managed to take defeat from the jaws of victory. last year the saints, jets, minn, bills, patriot games come to mind...he was absolutely horrid in those games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The facts are the facts they are the same player. I don’t know what others call you but I’m calling you a Dak worshipper and if probably call you worse regarding Dak but this is a family site and all lol.
can I call you Dak Hater then?

facts are facts they are not the same player. go check it out for yourself. one very simple FACT...Dalton has never won a playoff game and has had his worst games in the playoffs. can't deny that one....

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Then if he wants to eliminate that, sign the deal that's being offered. One year difference isn't much, and it certainly isn't for the dollars being discussed. Besides, if he outplays his deal, do you really think that the team wouldn't negotiate to extend him on the back end of it? And do so prior to the contract expiring?

Like I said, if his true concern is being able to hit the market early, the easiest solution is to play under the tag. Except, what Prescott wants is to have his cake and eat it too - he wants top of the market money for a QB, and short term deal to boot. The Cowboys completely screwed this negotiation up by being public with it, and also by putting the exclusive tag on him. The transition tag isn't a good move, because yes, you let other teams determine his value, but, if the Cowboys decide that Prescott isn't worth what he's being offered, they let him go for zero compensation. The proper move would have been the non-exclusive franchise tag, due to it being less money against the cap for one year, and it affords them compensation if he gets a deal elsewhere that the Cowboys aren't willing to give him.

Dak is willing to play under the tag, which is exactly why he isn't going to take a deal less than he wants.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Completion percentage is not accuracy, and Dak's completion percentage was nothing special last year. Know your role, troll.
and there were plenty of articles and analytics pointed to the fact on how accurate he was down field, passes 15 yards and beyond and how we dropped the most catchable balls...

now continue to spin as you where.....

funny, the pot calling the kettle black... in the meantime you have yet to present one item to back up your perception. not a single one! funny how you have your shorts all tied up in a knot...by your own doing :muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not a stats guy either and still know they are the same player. I didn’t even use stats but it was funny when people that do look at them found out they had similar stats in their first four years. Mobility? Where Daks mobility at? People stay asking for this guy to run more when he can and he rarely does. Game savvy? Sounds like some Tebow magic. I’ll give you the age and health because I don’t know Daltons health missing games wise. He is a consistent 9 wins on average qb outside of the fluke rookie year. That’s what he currently is so I’m not going to add up to 3 more wins when that’s the outlier season to this point.

Thanks for your reply though
It didn’t add up to 3 more wins unless you use Daltons low end of 9-10 wins to Daks high end10-12. In my mind it’s much closer . More like 1-2 wins differential. And in some instances the same since 10 wins is in both scenarios. But I guess using 3 is more slanted towards your narrative?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

As a fan, you would want what is best for the team but that doesn't mean the team is always right. We already saw this play out with D Law. They could have signed him for $17 million a year but they made him play on the tag, and a year later signed him for $21 million a year. Fans advocating for the Cowboys to get a deal done want Dak to get paid now so that the price doesn't go up a year from now.