Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys are at an impasse over nothing

Sydla

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are not far apart on the terms of a new deal.
They apparently haven’t been far for a while now. The market is essentially dictating the price to both parties so the average annual compensation and guaranteed cash are basically spelled out.

So contrary to popular belief, it’s not Dak’s outrageous demands or selfishness or greed that’s holding this up. It’s the length of the deal. Rather than asking for more Dak’s actually asking for less. Try that on for size, Dak haters.

Now before we throw him a parade and add him to the Christmas card list, let’s be clear: this isn’t about sacrifice or altruism. This is good business from Dak Prescott’s camp. A short-term deal may offer less overall dollars, but if Dak continues to perform as he’s been, he stands to make considerably more overall getting to the free agent market again as quickly as possible.

That’s where the two parties are at the impasse.

Dak has on the table, we believe, a $35M APY offer with $106M+ g'teed. With an argument about 4 v 5 years. So, @Boys_Vox 's right – there's no 'disrespect' in that. https://t.co/voVx1G9rFk

— fishsports (@fishsports) May 3, 2020

Multiple reliable sources have indicated, for quite a while now, the Dallas Cowboys want to sign Dak to a 5-year deal while Dak wants a 4-year deal. Each day that goes by Dak seems to get a little more leverage so it seems wise to explore what that extra year is worth on the market, right?

https://sportdfw.com/2020/05/04/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-impasse-over-nothing/

He's not asking for less.

By demanding 4 years, he's actually asking for more. He's also hurting the Cowboys because in a 5 year deal, the Cowboys can spread and restructure his cap hits if they want over 5 years instead of 4.

So any spin the media wants to put on Dak here being a good guy here is wrong.

Sydla

Reaction score
also they signed their deals last season.

So?

They signed 4 year extensions that put them under contract for 6 years. Dallas wants a similar structure with 5 years so they have an extra year to spread the cap hit.

Dak is saying no and demanding something above and beyond what Wentz and Goff got.

Sydla

Reaction score
In ways I think Dak is taking a major chance on a 4 year deal. Look if it plays out the way he envisions it in terms of his level of play and the fortunes of this team winning a championship he would have a chance at another big contract at the end of 4 years. However he also risk that he does not elevate his play and the team continues to come up short, his value will be, well the same as Dalton is now. At the end of 4 years he will be 30 and have QB this team for 8 years and if there is nothing to show for it then he likely will be looking for a backup QB elsewhere. So it is a gamble on the part of Dak more so than by the Cowboys.

He is taking little to no chance. The guaranteed money is likely the same on both the 4 or 5 year deal. Dallas wants that last year to spread the guaranteed cap hits. But the paid money in that 5th year likely isn't guaranteed. So Dak has no risk here. If he signs a 5 year deal and his play scuffles, Dallas would likely cut him anyway before that 5 year and he'd be in the same boat.

There's only upside here for Dak in a 4 year deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
?
4 x 35=140
5 35= 175
My calculation says that is 35 mill less he could have made.

After 4 years and his contract is over his pay will then be based on the production or lack of production in those 4 years. If he fails then that next year he could be looking at backup QB money no where close to 35 mill

If he fails, he's not getting $35MM in that 5th year anyway as the majority of paid money in that year would not be guaranteed. Plus that $35MM is just an average, not exactly what he would actually physically earn in his 5th year.

If he fails as a QB, Dallas would likely cut him long before he saw that 5th year.

You are failing to understand how these QB contracts are written. Dak won't be guaranteed any money in that 5th year unless he restructures at some point during the contract. So no, he's not risking $35MM by only signing a 4 year deal. He's basically giving himself nothing but upside.

Sydla

Reaction score
Reality is 35 mill is not exactly real. If the contract is actually based on 106 guaranteed money.

You asked how is he taking less? I answered based on numbers not your person view of who deserves what

Your answer shows a lack of how NFL contracts work.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As a fan, you would want what is best for the team but that doesn't mean the team is always right. We already saw this play out with D Law. They could have signed him for $17 million a year but they made him play on the tag, and a year later signed him for $21 million a year. Fans advocating for the Cowboys to get a deal done want Dak to get paid now so that the price doesn't go up a year from now.
I’m not sensing that’s what driving the support of those arguing on Daks behalf. But you bring up an interesting perspective I haven’t seen presented.

Plankton

Reaction score
Dak is willing to play under the tag, which is exactly why he isn't going to take a deal less than he wants.

Then end the charade and sign the tender. That doesn't preclude him from negotiating a longterm contract up until the deadline, and it would enable him to start learning the new offense.

What it is about is that he wants a four year deal, not a one year deal. Not a five year deal. Prescott wants a multi-year deal for top money for four seasons. If he was fine with a one season deal, he would have signed it already and been done with it. The plan is to be able to get back into the market after the numbers go up higher. If contract length is an issue for him, he can easily solve that by playing for the tender. He wants to have his cake and eat it as well. He has that right. If I were the Cowboys, I wouldn't give in, because I don't believe that you go to the front of the line in terms of salary just because your contract expires. He's not a top five QB, and his pay should reflect that, regardless of any errors made by other teams.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Then end the charade and sign the tender. That doesn't preclude him from negotiating a longterm contract up until the deadline, and it would enable him to start learning the new offense.

What it is about is that he wants a four year deal, not a one year deal. Not a five year deal. Prescott wants a multi-year deal for top money for four seasons. If he was fine with a one season deal, he would have signed it already and been done with it. The plan is to be able to get back into the market after the numbers go up higher. If contract length is an issue for him, he can easily solve that by playing for the tender. He wants to have his cake and eat it as well. He has that right. If I were the Cowboys, I wouldn't give in, because I don't believe that you go to the front of the line in terms of salary just because your contract expires. He's not a top five QB, and his pay should reflect that, regardless of any errors made by other teams.

The moment he signs the tender, the Cowboys wont make any movement on a deal till next offseason. Cowboys always wait till the last minute.

Plankton

Reaction score
The moment he signs the tender, the Cowboys wont make any movement on a deal till next offseason. Cowboys always wait till the last minute.

They absolutely would. You think they want him counting for over 31M against the cap this year? They want to lower that number.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the impasse is agent driven and the media makes it worse than it is. IT WILL GET DONE.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
They absolutely would. You think they want him counting for over 31M against the cap this year? They want to lower that number.

That motivation would have been highest at the start of free agency when they could have used that money to bring in big free agents. Now the big free agents are all signed. I'm not saying they would stop negotiating but they would lose any sense of urgency.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That motivation would have been highest at the start of free agency when they could have used that money to bring in big free agents. Now the big free agents are all signed. I'm not saying they would stop negotiating but they would lose any sense of urgency.
DAL does not play in the big name FA unless they're on the way down and out. Prescott's deal has nothing to do with the rest of FA.

The reason DAL is where they are is strictly because of the poor negotiating skills of the Joneses with star players. They are among the worst at it. They never learn from mistakes because they don't pay a price for them. If anyone would have ever hired Stuphen as a VP of Personnel, he would have been fired a half a dozen times by now but this GM is too inept to even carry out that task.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are not far apart on the terms of a new deal.
They apparently haven’t been far for a while now. The market is essentially dictating the price to both parties so the average annual compensation and guaranteed cash are basically spelled out.

So contrary to popular belief, it’s not Dak’s outrageous demands or selfishness or greed that’s holding this up. It’s the length of the deal. Rather than asking for more Dak’s actually asking for less. Try that on for size, Dak haters.

Now before we throw him a parade and add him to the Christmas card list, let’s be clear: this isn’t about sacrifice or altruism. This is good business from Dak Prescott’s camp. A short-term deal may offer less overall dollars, but if Dak continues to perform as he’s been, he stands to make considerably more overall getting to the free agent market again as quickly as possible.

That’s where the two parties are at the impasse.

Dak has on the table, we believe, a $35M APY offer with $106M+ g'teed. With an argument about 4 v 5 years. So, @Boys_Vox 's right – there's no 'disrespect' in that. https://t.co/voVx1G9rFk

— fishsports (@fishsports) May 3, 2020

Multiple reliable sources have indicated, for quite a while now, the Dallas Cowboys want to sign Dak to a 5-year deal while Dak wants a 4-year deal. Each day that goes by Dak seems to get a little more leverage so it seems wise to explore what that extra year is worth on the market, right?

https://sportdfw.com/2020/05/04/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-impasse-over-nothing/
A sincere attempt to make things that are clear sort of muddy.

I think most, if not all of us understood the problem. We just are not clear on the answer.

Dallas wanting a 5 or 6 year deal makes perfect sense to Dallas so they can spread the guaranteed part over more years.

It will also negate another wrangle over his contract at the end as Dak can just move on afterwards.

Dallas does not want to have Dak past 10 years. QBs that old rarely are worth the money required.

Tom Brady is not in this answer so stop before you type him as the exception.

Of course Dak does not want any obligations to the team. None.

I want my money and what happens before that entitles me to be paid what I want now.

Dak does not want to be controlled.

Easy enough to see.

So my question is..

If Dak feels that way and wants to be compensated that way..

and Dallas is being reluctant to be muscled into it..

Why are the parties still talking?

This just appears like an old Mexican Standoff.

We all need to just go to the bar and settle our differences over a card game or coin toss.

But let's let Lady Luck decide and be done with it.

Or agree to an arbiter and do it that way.

But whatever.

Enough drama.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
can I call you Dak Hater then?

facts are facts they are not the same player. go check it out for yourself. one very simple FACT...Dalton has never won a playoff game and has had his worst games in the playoffs. can't deny that one....
Yeah if it makes you feel better call me a Dak hater. Its the Internet don't really care. Facts are facts they are the same player and you're too blind to see that but worshipping mother men does that to people. Dak has won one and has a losign record in the playoffs too. Lets not talk like this guy has a SB or something. The only thing I denied is that Dak is better than Dalton all that other stuff is your own posting.

btcutter

Reaction score
I fail to see how Dak is gaining leverage especially since the Cowboys now have a proven option backing him up. It seems like neither party is willing to budge. I see Dak likely playing out this year on the tag and then probably going somewhere else next year. I really hope Jerry doesn't cave like he did with Zeke.

I agree. In fact I think Dak is losing leverage. With the upcoming season in jeopardy he's only option maybe 1). Sign his franchise tag and get paid each game but if season is shortened he'll get paid even less. 2). Sign the offer on the table which has a big fat signing bonus which he gets now. 3). Sit out the season and get nothing...

Option #2 is looking better and better each passing day.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
It didn’t add up to 3 more wins unless you use Daltons low end of 9-10 wins to Daks high end10-12. In my mind it’s much closer . More like 1-2 wins differential. And in some instances the same since 10 wins is in both scenarios. But I guess using 3 is more slanted towards your narrative?
What the hell are you talking about? I posted everything including how I got the upto 3 extra wins in the post smh. Read with understanding or don't but don't reply back with some narrative bs when I clearly explained how I got the numbers I used.

cern

Reaction score
DAL does not play in the big name FA unless they're on the way down and out. Prescott's deal has nothing to do with the rest of FA.

The reason DAL is where they are is strictly because of the poor negotiating skills of the Joneses with star players. They are among the worst at it. They never learn from mistakes because they don't pay a price for them. If anyone would have ever hired Stuphen as a VP of Personnel, he would have been fired a half a dozen times by now but this GM is too inept to even carry out that task.
I do not agree with your assessment of the negotiation skills of the Jones. It is a simple fact of nfl life that certain players are paid x amount for the position they play. I would bet, without any further info, that the chiefs will make Mahomey the highest paid qb in the nfl. Are they poor negotiators if they say, before the deal's completed, they want him to be their guy until he retires? I hardly think so. Think they'll get a better deal by disparaging him.