Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys are at an impasse over nothing

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Those are reasonable arguments.

In the end I think we have to evaluate is Dak at the same level around the league as Elliott is for example in comparisons to his peers at his position.

It’s my opinion based on what I’ve seen and taken in is Dak probably deserves close to top 5-10 money at this time. I don’t think I’d place him at or near the top of the league in talent or performance over his 4 years.

Everyone of course is entitled to their own view. But the offers we’ve made appear to be very fitting to his talent level and where I think even some of his most ardent defenders would place him.

What happens I think is hardcore defenders want to defend him against the more overly critical fans . Most fans I think are more in the middle believing Dak needs to be paid but not the highest paid .

I don't disagree but when I see other players who come up for FA and get top money it is not about are they the best and deserve top money. It just does not work out that way, last season the top 5 paid QB where not top 5 QB. In what universe is Wentz or Goff able to make the same or close to Rodgers? They got it because they were up for FA. I like Wilson but again in my view not the best QB but his contract was coming due and he actually gave the seahawks a deadline or else he would not sign at all. Again I don't agree with the NFL system but it is the way it is. I could wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up the fastest or accept that this is the way the NFL operates.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does not say much for the Cowboys defense. I agree Dak should not have played in the game coming off the shoulder injury he took the week before. However there was nothing behind him.
Even if we had someone like Dalton behind him Dak still plays. He still had zip on his throws as I recall Troy commenting on. Nagging injuries is part of the game. If you’re cleared to go then there’s no excuses.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about the other side of this pancake? What if 35M for that 5th year might be great for what he might get offered after 4 years from any team, including the Cowboys? Might Prescott be Andy Dalton 4 years from now? Just looking for a home?

The natural thing here is to project QB salaries will be up in the mid 40's with Mahomes leading that charge but what if there's more supply than demand just as there is this season? If a team has their guy, or is already paying him, the demand is down just as it is or Dalton wouldn't be doing a 3M deal.

Prescott might find that 35M in that 5th year might be good money, if they didn't replace him, which they should be considering. The Cowboys need to learn that every player has an expiration date.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s going to be extremely difficult to build much of a defense with so much Cap invested on offense. And why this QB and offense will have to carry us.

It can’t afford to average 15 points a game to half of its opponents and expect our defense to hold up.

That is why hitting on these draft picks in this years draft is important. Dlaw is signed until 2024 and Cowboys picked up in my view some very good CB in the draft and DT. I would also add the cap does not remain the same. It is not as if the cap freezes over the next 4 years.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are not far apart on the terms of a new deal.
They apparently haven’t been far for a while now. The market is essentially dictating the price to both parties so the average annual compensation and guaranteed cash are basically spelled out.

So contrary to popular belief, it’s not Dak’s outrageous demands or selfishness or greed that’s holding this up. It’s the length of the deal. Rather than asking for more Dak’s actually asking for less. Try that on for size, Dak haters.

Now before we throw him a parade and add him to the Christmas card list, let’s be clear: this isn’t about sacrifice or altruism. This is good business from Dak Prescott’s camp. A short-term deal may offer less overall dollars, but if Dak continues to perform as he’s been, he stands to make considerably more overall getting to the free agent market again as quickly as possible.

That’s where the two parties are at the impasse.

Dak has on the table, we believe, a $35M APY offer with $106M+ g'teed. With an argument about 4 v 5 years. So, @Boys_Vox 's right – there's no 'disrespect' in that. https://t.co/voVx1G9rFk

— fishsports (@fishsports) May 3, 2020

Multiple reliable sources have indicated, for quite a while now, the Dallas Cowboys want to sign Dak to a 5-year deal while Dak wants a 4-year deal. Each day that goes by Dak seems to get a little more leverage so it seems wise to explore what that extra year is worth on the market, right?

https://sportdfw.com/2020/05/04/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-impasse-over-nothing/

What this comes down to, at least it should, is Dallas does not see Dak as taking this team to the next step.

If you look at Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson, they continued to elevate the team after their first full years of starting. Lamar Jackson in Baltimore had a great year this past year starting so see what he does.

However, after he led Dallas to a 13-3 record (with a 1 and done playoff loss) his rookie year, Dak has led the Cowboys to an overall record of 27-21 (with 1 playoff win and 1 playoff loss) the next 3 seasons. He has not elevated the team in overall record or into the playoffs so why should Dallas give him a lucrative contract extension? Dak can rack up all the stats he wants personally but if he is not elevating the TEAM then he does not deserve a new contract (nor did I think Dallas should have given Romo a big new contract either as he did not elevate the team deep into the playoffs).

Dak Prescott stats his rookie year versus the next 3 years:

Rookie Year

16 Games 13 Wins 3 Losses (1 playoff loss)

311 completions 459 attempts 67.8% comp %

3,667 yards 23 TD's 4 Int's

Next 3 Seasons

48 Games 27 Wins 21 Losses (1 playoff win 1 playoff loss)

1,052 completions 1,612 attempts 65.3% comp %

12,111 yards 74 TD's 32 Int's

When you average out his 3 seasons after his rookie season, his statistics average the following:

16 Games 9 Wins 7 Losses

351 completions 537 attempts 65.4% comp %

4,037 yards 25 TD's 11 Int's

Instead of elevating the TEAM, Dak has barely led the team to a just over .500 record. Slam me if you want but the fact is Dak, just like Romo, has not elevated the TEAM.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What about the other side of this pancake? What if 35M for that 5th year might be great for what he might get offered after 4 years from any team, including the Cowboys? Might Prescott be Andy Dalton 4 years from now? Just looking for a home?

The natural thing here is to project QB salaries will be up in the mid 40's with Mahomes leading that charge but what if there's more supply than demand just as there is this season? If a team has their guy, or is already paying him, the demand is down just as it is or Dalton wouldn't be doing a 3M deal.

Prescott might find that 35M in that 5th year might be good money, if they didn't replace him, which they should be considering. The Cowboys need to learn that every player has an expiration date.

Very well could happen, which is why Dak says he is willing to bet on himself. If he does not succeed after 3 to 4 years he may find himself getting paid much less as a backup. In my view he is the one taking the bigger risk and counting on himself to get it done.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Even if we had someone like Dalton behind him Dak still plays. He still had zip on his throws as I recall Troy commenting on. Nagging injuries is part of the game. If you’re cleared to go then there’s no excuses.
Dak spraying the ball all over the field and being wildly inaccurate from moment to moment is par for the course. Zero evidence he was affected by the injury.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It seems to me that Jerry and Stephen are fed up with being pushed into a corner to decide what to do about being held for ransom. There a limit for even them to be forced into signing contracts that they feel to be unworthy of catering to. For the good of the team and Dak, himself, I'm hoping this contractual fiasco gets settled expeditiously. Too much is at stake for it to be otherwise. It's time for Dak to shun his agent and do what's in his best interest.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very well could happen, which is why Dak says he is willing to bet on himself. If he does not succeed after 3 to 4 years he may find himself getting paid much less as a backup. In my view he is the one taking the bigger risk and counting on himself to get it done.
Oh, I completely agree, that's why I want them to do the shorter deal but their confidence in finding QB's is all luck. They are among the worst at finding the most critical position.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What this comes down to, at least it should, is Dallas does not see Dak as taking this team to the next step.

If you look at Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson, they continued to elevate the team after their first full years of starting. Lamar Jackson in Baltimore had a great year this past year starting so see what he does.

However, after he led Dallas to a 13-3 record (with a 1 and done playoff loss) his rookie year, Dak has led the Cowboys to an overall record of 27-21 (with 1 playoff win and 1 playoff loss) the next 3 seasons. He has not elevated the team in overall record or into the playoffs so why should Dallas give him a lucrative contract extension? Dak can rack up all the stats he wants personally but if he is not elevating the TEAM then he does not deserve a new contract (nor did I think Dallas should have given Romo a big new contract either as he did not elevate the team deep into the playoffs).

Dak Prescott stats his rookie year versus the next 3 years:

Rookie Year

16 Games 13 Wins 3 Losses (1 playoff loss)

311 completions 459 attempts 67.8% comp %

3,667 yards 23 TD's 4 Int's

Next 3 Seasons

48 Games 27 Wins 21 Losses (1 playoff win 1 playoff loss)

1,052 completions 1,612 attempts 65.3% comp %

12,111 yards 74 TD's 32 Int's

When you average out his 3 seasons after his rookie season, his statistics average the following:

16 Games 9 Wins 7 Losses

351 completions 537 attempts 65.4% comp %

4,037 yards 25 TD's 11 Int's

Instead of elevating the TEAM, Dak has barely led the team to a just over .500 record. Slam me if you want but the fact is Dak, just like Romo, has not elevated the TEAM.

Not slamming anyone, if you look at Dak season last year he was ranked 2 in passing yards, 4th in TD passes, 3rd in yards per game 306 a game, it was not that long ago that many claimed he was unable to throw for 200 yards because all he did was dink and dunk. Pass plays for 40 plus yards #1.

You have not made the claim so this is not directed at you, yet many Dak critics have and that is how Garrett wasted Romo career yet do not seem to see the irony of Dak playing under the same system that they blamed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't disagree but when I see other players who come up for FA and get top money it is not about are they the best and deserve top money. It just does not work out that way, last season the top 5 paid QB where not top 5 QB. In what universe is Wentz or Goff able to make the same or close to Rodgers? They got it because they were up for FA. I like Wilson but again in my view not the best QB but his contract was coming due and he actually gave the seahawks a deadline or else he would not sign at all. Again I don't agree with the NFL system but it is the way it is. I could wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up the fastest or accept that this is the way the NFL operates.
I disagree . I think Wilson has elevated himself. Don’t believe they’re a playoff team without his performance. And at some point as I mentioned earlier in another post to someone else Dak will need to elevate this team if we pay him as such.

I do agree however that depending on when you sign with the examples you provided do fall true like with making more than Rodgers. And where the market issue comes in.

Ultimately I think it comes down to talent level which I don’t believe Prescott is considered on the same level despite whatever stats are presented. And why IMO the offers we have already made are very generous and more than fair.

I believe Dak has benefitted from the surrounding talent. We’ve already seen what he is without a top WR or RB and why we’ve gone to such extremes to provide those. At some point it’s going to need to be enough for him to carry this team across the threshold.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh, I completely agree, that's why I want them to do the shorter deal but their confidence in finding QB's is all luck. They are among the worst at finding the most critical position.

I don't know about that, it is not like we are getting top 5 picks that often, where you would expect to find the top prospects. As for the length of deal as I said earlier I'm all for the 4 year with the Potential Out after the 3rd year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not slamming anyone, if you look at Dak season last year he was ranked 2 in passing yards, 4th in TD passes, 3rd in yards per game 306 a game, it was not that long ago that many claimed he was unable to throw for 200 yards because all he did was dink and dunk. Pass plays for 40 plus yards #1.

You have not made the claim so this is not directed at you, yet many Dak critics have and that is how Garrett wasted Romo career yet do not seem to see the irony of Dak playing under the same system that they blamed.
This is why I’m so excited about McCarthy here. No longer will we have the coaching excuses.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is why I’m so excited about McCarthy here. No longer will we have the coaching excuses.

I'm not one for excuses I think you can find plenty of blame to go around after a failed season, coaches and players alike. What I hope to see is a HC who can push this team over the top and everyone get a part of the credit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know about that, it is not like we are getting top 5 picks that often, where you would expect to find the top prospects. As for the length of deal as I said earlier I'm all for the 4 year with the Potential Out after the 3rd year.
That’s easy . You trade up to get those top picks. And there’s some good finds after the top 5 picks.

We haven’t used a 1st round pick on a QB since 1989. Only one draft pick above the 4th round this Century. We haven’t really even tried to draft a franchise QB.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

My point is that Dak last year racked up statistics in part because of Kellen Moore having him throw so much (ironically in Dak's contract year) but what did those elevated statistics get the Cowboys: an 8-8 record and missing the playoffs.

Last season Dak threw the ball 70 attempts more than his previous career high yet his completion % was his 3rd worse in 4 seasons despite suffering his lowest season sack total in 4 seasons. In other words he had the time to throw but missed more often which is not a good thing. The knock on Dak has always been his accuracy and he actually regressed his accuracy last season even more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not one for excuses I think you can find plenty of blame to go around after a failed season, coaches and players alike. What I hope to see is a HC who can push this team over the top and everyone get a part of the credit.
I’m more interested in a HC who won’t be held responsible for holding the team back. In the end I think it’s more about the talent pushing us over the top and giving credit not blame.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t we be more more supportive of the deal the Cowboys are offering than the deal Dak is demanding ?

Isn’t what best best for the Cowboys Mgmt of the Cap in our best interest . Or has this become all about what’s best for Dak?

I’m sensing a mixed feeling here from some fans. Are we Cowboy fans or Dak fans?

Not you necessarily but a segment who feel Dak deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league. And is somehow being disrespected by a top 5 offer.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dalton is no more than a 9 or 10 wins with the most talented offense in the league. He isn’t taking us any further than Dak. He just provides us to stay afloat if Dak is hurt or holds out. Otherwise our season is over with Rush.

Dak has much more upside than Dalton but we welcome a seasoned veteran as backup and some insurance without Dak.
How does he have more upside unless you’re strictly talking age when they are the same dang player. Dak is no more than 9/10 wins himself. We going to act like 13 wins is his normal? They are the same player in skill level overall.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They always have the potential out because it's only the guaranteed money that matters and this might not be just about the length of this deal but the guaranteed money. It's all about the guaranteed money, especially to the agents.