Dak Prescott doing contract negotiations the right way, showing what it means to be a Dallas Cowboy

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I got no problem with the way Dak is going about his negotiations. He is here busting his arse on the field while his agent works out a new contract. That is exactly what Zeke should be doing.

Now do I expect a hometown discount from Dak? It would be nice, but no, I am not expecting him to take anything less than market. Unfortunately, the stupid arse Eagles just set the market with Wentz at $32 a year, so I dont see Dak signing for anything less. They are the same age, play the same position, were in the same draft class, and Dak has better numbers across the board...………..hard to argu with Dak's agent that he should take less.

So yeah, a contract in the neighborhood of $32-$34 million is most likely going to happen either before or during the season. Its a little bit higher than I would like to pay, but the market is the market and you can either pay or be Buffalo or Miami with scrubs at QB.
Exactly! This. ^^^^

Everyone should read and understand this concerning Dak.

zerofill

Reaction score
Exactly! This. ^^^^

Everyone should read and understand this concerning Dak.

I get what you mean, if it was an apples to apples comparison between he and Wentz. But, the difference I have with them has nothing to do with their playing ability. A lot of reporting has been saying Dak is making about $8mil + off endorsements. Which I would believe has got to be about right. Wentz is with the Eagles, he isn't getting that kind of money off the field.

So there is definitely truth to it paying to be a Cowboy. Especially the QB of the Cowboys. So some of that really should factor in a little. Dak wouldn't be doing these commercials, etc... on the Buffalo Bills.

The truth is yes, your career can end at any moment. But, the guy can sign for $28mil and still be making way more than Wentz. While also keeping all the assets around him for the best chance for success.

If he gets shipped off to the Commanders for instance, he can kiss those endorsements goodbye.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I get what you mean, if it was an apples to apples comparison between he and Wentz. But, the difference I have with them has nothing to do with their playing ability. A lot of reporting has been saying Dak is making about $8mil + off endorsements. Which I would believe has got to be about right. Wentz is with the Eagles, he isn't getting that kind of money off the field.

So there is definitely truth to it paying to be a Cowboy. Especially the QB of the Cowboys. So some of that really should factor in a little. Dak wouldn't be doing these commercials, etc... on the Buffalo Bills.

The truth is yes, your career can end at any moment. But, the guy can sign for $28mil and still be making way more than Wentz. While also keeping all the assets around him for the best chance for success.

If he gets shipped off to the Commanders for instance, he can kiss those endorsements goodbye.
True. But remember, Dak doesn't get paid millions by sponsors simply for endorsing their product as the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Dak still needs to do much work for those sponsors/endorsers, so it takes time and effort. But you're right, it does have its perps being the star QB of the Dallas Cowboys compared to the Philadelphia Eagles. Life is not fair.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
True. But remember, Dak doesn't get paid millions by sponsors simply for endorsing their product as the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Dak still needs to do much work for those sponsors/endorsers, so it takes time and effort. But you're right, it does have its perps being the star QB of the Dallas Cowboys compared to the Philadelphia Eagles. Life is not fair.
Not to mention the fact that Texas has no state income tax. I'm not sure how that plays into an NFL contract, but you have to think at that income level, it makes a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong. I had a job offer in cali, but with the state income tax and higher cost of living it was actually more cost effective to stay in Texas even though the salary was a lot higher. Just another reason why Texas is the best.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

On the one hand, I feel that dudes endorsement cash flow( or lack thereof) should be a hands off topic in contract negotiations, yet the simple fact being,were it not for that particular franchise of which the new contract seeking player plays for, more than likely wouldn't be getting any public 'non-football' face time ,other than local area free gradis public service stuff, so,unfortunately that's definitely gonna' be an leveraging bargaining chip the employer could "flash" in an intimating way of basic realization, some of these cat's get the huge headed ego, totally unlike any kinda' forced monetary discipline they'd lived by prior to turning pro,,, #21 is a sad case of that being :"exhibit A " of my proposed theory

UKMatt

Reaction score
Noob to the zone so please take it easy on the abuse but just wanna chuck my 2cents worth in...

Obviously Dak is doing things in a gentlemanly manner so he'll get great press and kudos from the fans.
I get that as sports stars the guys are putting their bodies on the line for the fans etc etc
But surely in terms of contracts and having issues with the likes of Zeke isn't this an issue with the Management and agents where by there should be clauses in the contract which say a player will lose X or Y if they miss practice, or a contract will be terminated under such a team law break?
Now I appreciate that would be like an ultra authoritarian management but wouldn't it stop players believing they have the upper hand and holding the fans (who are paying good dollar to see them play) hostage but they refuse to play for less than the billions of dollars they are already being paid?
At the end of the day fans wanna see the best players, and they are the ones losing out in a game of money!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Noob to the zone so please take it easy on the abuse but just wanna chuck my 2cents worth in...

Obviously Dak is doing things in a gentlemanly manner so he'll get great press and kudos from the fans.
I get that as sports stars the guys are putting their bodies on the line for the fans etc etc
But surely in terms of contracts and having issues with the likes of Zeke isn't this an issue with the Management and agents where by there should be clauses in the contract which say a player will lose X or Y if they miss practice, or a contract will be terminated under such a team law break?
Now I appreciate that would be like an ultra authoritarian management but wouldn't it stop players believing they have the upper hand and holding the fans (who are paying good dollar to see them play) hostage but they refuse to play for less than the billions of dollars they are already being paid?
At the end of the day fans wanna see the best players, and they are the ones losing out in a game of money!
Blame the Player's Union.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I got no problem with the way Dak is going about his negotiations. He is here busting his arse on the field while his agent works out a new contract. That is exactly what Zeke should be doing.

Now do I expect a hometown discount from Dak? It would be nice, but no, I am not expecting him to take anything less than market. Unfortunately, the stupid arse Eagles just set the market with Wentz at $32 a year, so I dont see Dak signing for anything less. They are the same age, play the same position, were in the same draft class, and Dak has better numbers across the board...………..hard to argu with Dak's agent that he should take less.

So yeah, a contract in the neighborhood of $32-$34 million is most likely going to happen either before or during the season. Its a little bit higher than I would like to pay, but the market is the market and you can either pay or be Buffalo or Miami with scrubs at QB.
This team is coming to a cross roads. Its going to be pay Dak and lose either Zeke or Amari and some defensive players like Jones and Collins and maybe Awuzie. Or pay Zeke, Amari and keep all your defensive stars and depth but you lose Dak. The problem with keeping Dak is he needs great defense and premier talent around him to win. This year will answer a lot of questions about Dak.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
You're getting way off target here Ghost. Your question is irrelevant. The issue I is that as long as a salary cap is in place, there's only a set amount of money available, so every time you overpay a player for his position, you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're so busy looking at one tree, you can't see the forest.
That so called market setting RB wouldn't be such hot stuff if his OL consisted of low paid scrubs. And if the defense consisted of low paid scrubs he wouldn't get the ball back so often. But that's ultimately the scenario a team is asking for when they start overpaying prima donnas who demand market-setting money. But a self centered money hungry diva doesn't care about what happens to the team, he just wants as much as he can get, as fast as he can get it, no matter what the cost to the team. He's not there to win, he just wants the money.

Blindly supporting exorbitant salaries in a sport limited by salary caps is just a temporary feel good argument that ultimately leads to much bigger problems than it's worth. You can make all the silly arguments you please, but in the long run, you're driving down a dead end street.
There are two problems with your argument. One, it’s not the player’s responsibility to manage the system he’s stuck in. Two, in this case you’re creating a false equivalency because the money is there.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
No everything does not have to be fair. Salary caps were not designed to be fair. They were designed to LIMIT SALARIES.
In the long run if a team fails to limit exorbitant salaries, they shoot themselves in the foot......which is what you're blindly promoting.
Nothing blind about it. The money is available, you just keep blindly buying Jerry’s rhetoric like a sheep. He’s crying about pies and the reality is the pie is now big enough to actually pay the star players and have some left over