Dak Prescott hasn’t figured out how to use Dez Bryant

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
romo alluded to this in the chiefs game. And right now without zeke and no dez Potential for explosive plays our offense just has to be perfect to march down the field.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Dak certainly isn't doing great in connecting with Dez, but I think a lot of the problem lies with Dez himself. He has not been and likely will never again be the same player he was before the injuries. His hands, inexplicably, have taken a nose dive as well.

No matter who is at QB, I think it's optimistic to expect the 2010-2014 Dez to ever reappear.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak certainly isn't doing great in connecting with Dez, but I think a lot of the problem lies with Dez himself. He has not been and likely will never again be the same player he was before the injuries. His hands, inexplicably, have taken a nose dive as well.

No matter who is at QB, I think it's optimistic to expect the 2010-2014 Dez to ever reappear.
Nope the problem is with Dak himself because of his lack of accuracy. Dez best plays come from accurate jump ball type plays. That's why Dez has looked relatively trash since Dak got here. When Romo was last healthy Dez was doing just fine. Dez gets some blame too but I think more is on Dak because of accuracy.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Nope the problem is with Dak himself because of his lack of accuracy. Dez best plays come from accurate jump ball type plays. That's why Dez has looked relatively trash since Dak got here. When Romo was last healthy Dez was doing just fine. Dez gets some blame too but I think more is on Dak because of accuracy.

I don't know. I don't see the jump ball explosiveness or ability to come down with tough grabs at all anymore from Dez. I think he's been sapped of most of his athletic ability following the injuries. He never was great at getting separation but his explosiveness and great hands and leaping ability more than made up for it. I don't see those qualities out of him anymore.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score

Dak escapes pocket, then sails one 10 yards over Beasly head

BHendri5

Reaction score
Nor has the offensive coaching staff. The money routes for Dez are slants, deep posts, or flags, fade routes, (but the ball has to be thrown accurately or at least give Dez a chance ) crossing patterns, curls and come backs. Dez is not an explosive receiver he is a powerful receiver a chain mover, he will never be wide open on routes so you have to throw him open or put it where only he can get it or no one gets it at all. he is just like Irvin was, Irvin was never wide open he and Troy developed an chemistry like Dez and Romo did thru hours of practicing after and before practice.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak isn't the problem here, it's 100% Dez. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about him much longer.

Of course Dak is, at least, part of the problem.

If it was just Dez, every other WR would be doing something. Why aren't they?

flosho

Reaction score
Dak misses some throws but I'm still confident that he isn't anywhere close to his ceiling.

I do think Dez has lost some focus. I also think our coaches just do not bring out the best in players. Perhaps Romo was able to do that to some extent.

Dez and Dak do pretty well when Dez is in the slot or running crossing routes/going across the middle or the fades in the endzone. But when he's trying to get behind a DB is when Dak loses confidence because he throws it to where Dez has to make a miraculous catch or it's going out of bounds/uncatchable. Most of the time Dez has no chance to come down with it, but either does the DB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Why just Dez? It doesn't seem like Dak has found a way to use any of the wide receivers consistently.

Beasley?
Williams?
Bryant?

Essentially just decoys right now. We have no passing game.

well I think there are fundamental problems with our WRs and you absolutely have to include the coaching in this as well.

Dez's main catches are go routes and this requires QB to throw it high for him to jump for it. These are the touch passes that Romo had success with and was talking about, but we also need Dez to run more typical WR routes, get open and catch to have success.We are not getting that from him.

Williams has trouble getting open, even in single coverage, and does have his share of drops.

Beasley, I remember someone explaining, gets alot of double coverage.

Brice Butler is a little inconsistent, even more than Williams. He can make the occasional deep catch, but not with consistency. Do you trust him catching in tight windows?

Our coaching staff does not seem to make any adjustments in play call and designs to account for opposing defenses. While I stated the negative with these 4 WRs above, they have shown enough ability to do very well under the best circumstances. I don't know many teams I have watched adjust their schemes and designs based on past failings and opponents, but our coaches just seem to mope on out there with same old half sheet playbook thinking they will get a different result. It may be the reason why we need a great running game because that is the one component opposing defenses have to account for allowing for playaction. Take that away and this this rather simple offensive play design is like crapshoot.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The good news is, it appears to be rubbing off on other players as well.

Lately he isn't connecting with Beasley or Witten either. :D

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Garrett and Linehan haven't either......there's still hope for Dak since it's just halfway through his second NFL season.......no excuse for the first two mentioned.